XFL signings ?

XFL Football discussion.
Sounder
Coach

Re: XFL signings ?

Post by Sounder »

There is a tryout being held in the Netherlands. So I guess they will be recruiting from anywhere. I believe one of the faults of why NFL Europe didn't really catch on wasn't just that the players were second tier ..... but all American as well. If American style football is ever gonna work in Europe at any level ... it'd probably help to have Europeans playing This is not indicative of an interest in going there......just another avenue to procure players.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Sounder wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:29 pm There is a tryout being held in the Netherlands. So I guess they will be recruiting from anywhere. I believe one of the faults of why NFL Europe didn't really catch on wasn't just that the players were second tier ..... but all American as well. If American style football is ever gonna work in Europe at any level ... it'd probably help to have Europeans playing This is not indicative of an interest in going there......just another avenue to procure players.
XFL Newsroom spoke to someone at the league office who said that Netherlands tryout is not affiliated with the XFL:

https://xflnewsroom.com/news/xfl-expand ... ationally/
@gregmparks
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

Well I know they routinely hold "football" aka soccer tryouts there.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

BigBrook wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:07 pm
MikeMitchell wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:44 pm
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:17 pm Right... of course the draft isn't until October, which might raise an interesting quandary for players looking to sign. Especially some of the fringe/marginal prospects who may only be willing to play within a certain radius because $5,000 a week for ten weeks of mostly riding the bench really isn't worth uprooting across the country. Would they be willing to sign if the odds of them getting signed to a team close enough to make it worthwhile were less than 50:50?
Such a small percentage of the players will be making 50k a year. 5k times ten games. That's probably going to be team nine players or practice squad players.

Plus each player that is active for each game gets an "activation bonus", and a victory bonus per game. So the base of 60, 70, 80, 90k is just the starting point. The salary can grow every week.

Players or agents haven't been made of any salary other than starting amount of $75K base minimum
and some will start higher.
What's that again Brook? I am having trouble understanding what you mean in the bold print above. Are you trying to say that they haven't been made "aware" of any salary other than the starting amount of 75k?

Late last year and then back in February, the league made people aware of their four tier player pay structure. If 75k is the lowest base minimum for every player, then that's great news for the players.

One thing to remember though. There are going to be 7 player practice squads per team. That would mean 56 overall players. Couple that with all the players on 'Team Nine", and I would venture to guess that these would be the players with the lowest base salary in the league.

Back in February at the NFL combine. The XFL had a meeting with player agents and laid out their plans from a salary perspective.

Obviously, things may have changed between now and then. This was the initial plan.

The XFL plans to have an active roster of 45 players. There will be four salary levels.

Tier I Player: One slot per team. Will make at least $250,000 per season.
Tier II Player: Three slots per team.
Tier III Player: 23 slots per team
Tier IV Player: 18 slots per team

In order to get activation bonuses. One would assume that you would actually have to be on the active 45 player roster.
thebest53
Rookie

Post by thebest53 »

MikeMitchell wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:11 pm
GDAWG wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:03 pm There could also be a number of players who turn down XFL deals in hopes that they sign with an NFL team during the season. This happens all of the time due to injuries.
No question about it. There could even be players that wait till the last minute before signing on with the XFL. Players could wait until mid October for the XFL draft, just to see if any NFL jobs become available in the first month and a half of the NFL season. Once you are drafted in the XFL. You can't leave for the NFL until after the XFL season ends.

After NFL cuts and after NFL teams fill up their active rosters and practice squads. The total number of players without NFL jobs after cuts is 864. The XFL won't be able to and doesn't need to sign all of them.

The XFL is going to have 416 players in total, once the regular season starts. 52 players per team. 45 active and 7 practice squad members. Team Nine might have 40 players. So basically over 450 players for the regular season needed.

XFL training camps, could have anywhere from 75 to 90 players per team. So even at the maximum of 90. That would mean 720 players under contract. Not all of them are going to come from NFL cuts in September.

One overlooked possibility is for players that who sign with the XFL after the draft and potentially in XFL training camp. There will be players who wait out the entire NFL season hoping for a way back in, who have to decide if they want to sign a futures contract with the NFL in early January or go play in the XFL instead.
I'm curious how you think the XFL will handle the guys that wait out the entire NFL season given that the XFL draft will happen sometime between weeks 5-8 of the NFL season. How much of the rosters of the rosters are going to be filled by the time the NFL season is over? Will they cut drafted players to sign someone who waited out the NFL season? That's a question I've had through this whole process given the financial gamble some of these players will take by signing with the XFL and ruling out a chance of making an NFL roster, especially the QBs. Just look at Josh Johnson last season. He made over $200k in his 4 games with the Redskins, got a chance to start, and won his 1st NFL game of his career. None of that happens if he wasn't able to leave the AAF. I could see a lot of these fringe QBs waiting out most of the season for the chance of making a roster after injury. Will the QBs be allocated before then? Is this why the QBs aren't a part of the draft?
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

thebest53 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:15 am
GDAWG wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:03 pm There could also be a number of players who turn down XFL deals in hopes that they sign with an NFL team during the season. This happens all of the time due to injuries.
No question about it. There could even be players that wait till the last minute before signing on with the XFL. Players could wait until mid October for the XFL draft, just to see if any NFL jobs become available in the first month and a half of the NFL season. Once you are drafted in the XFL. You can't leave for the NFL until after the XFL season ends.

After NFL cuts and after NFL teams fill up their active rosters and practice squads. The total number of players without NFL jobs after cuts is 864. The XFL won't be able to and doesn't need to sign all of them.

The XFL is going to have 416 players in total, once the regular season starts. 52 players per team. 45 active and 7 practice squad members. Team Nine might have 40 players. So basically over 450 players for the regular season needed.

XFL training camps, could have anywhere from 75 to 90 players per team. So even at the maximum of 90. That would mean 720 players under contract. Not all of them are going to come from NFL cuts in September.

One overlooked possibility is for players that who sign with the XFL after the draft and potentially in XFL training camp. There will be players who wait out the entire NFL season hoping for a way back in, who have to decide if they want to sign a futures contract with the NFL in early January or go play in the XFL instead.
I'm curious how you think the XFL will handle the guys that wait out the entire NFL season given that the XFL draft will happen sometime between weeks 5-8 of the NFL season. How much of the rosters of the rosters are going to be filled by the time the NFL season is over? Will they cut drafted players to sign someone who waited out the NFL season? That's a question I've had through this whole process given the financial gamble some of these players will take by signing with the XFL and ruling out a chance of making an NFL roster, especially the QBs. Just look at Josh Johnson last season. He made over $200k in his 4 games with the Redskins, got a chance to start, and won his 1st NFL game of his career. None of that happens if he wasn't able to leave the AAF. I could see a lot of these fringe QBs waiting out most of the season for the chance of making a roster after injury. Will the QBs be allocated before then? Is this why the QBs aren't a part of the draft?
That's a good question, and one I've thought of as well. I'd almost suggest a supplemental draft for early January 2020 for the players who want to sign onto the XFL if they're not offered a futures contract with an NFL team. That's a tight window, though; if the supplemental draft is even in early January (which, by the way, is a time when the playoffs are still going on and those teams generally don't sign players to futures contracts until their season is over), that's a short turnaround to offer and have those players sign league contracts, do the draft, and you've got less than a month for them to make an impact in camp before the regular season begins.
@gregmparks
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

There will be 70 player rosters before XFL camps start. The draft or drafts will determine that. So all those players will be locked into the XFL season.

Practice squad players in the NFL make 120,000 max if they are on the squad for an entire year.

Since it’s a 500 player league basically. There won’t be a need for all 864 NFL players who end up without a roster spot in the NFL. Players signed to futures deals would make less on an NFL 90 man roster than they would actually playing in the XFL.

We still don’t know all the details yet on specific allocation or otherwise. That should be determined soon. I expect a good number of players to pass on the XFL in year one waiting for a spot back in the NFL. Some will end up regretting it.

As for January player acquisitions. That could be the final wave of player signings. The league will have to iron out those details but Eric Galko mentioned this specifically recently as a possibility. Another tricky area is CFL Free agency, which starts after the XFL season starts in February.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

MikeMitchell wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:12 pm

There will be 70 player rosters before XFL camps start. The draft or drafts will determine that. So all those players will be locked into the XFL season.

Practice squad players in the NFL make 120,000 max if they are on the squad for an entire year.

Since it’s a 500 player league basically. There won’t be a need for all 864 NFL players who end up without a roster spot in the NFL. Players signed to futures deals would make less on an NFL 90 man roster than they would actually playing in the XFL.

We still don’t know all the details yet on specific allocation or otherwise. That should be determined soon. I expect a good number of players to pass on the XFL in year one waiting for a spot back in the NFL. Some will end up regretting it.

As for January player acquisitions. That could be the final wave of player signings. The league will have to iron out those details but Eric Galko mentioned this specifically recently as a possibility. Another tricky area is CFL Free agency, which starts after the XFL season starts in February.
I wouldn't say that. Injuries happen a lot early in the NFL season and NFL teams will need to sign players to fill out spots and there's a chance that they will end up getting significant playing time on that NFL team.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

GDAWG wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:21 pm
MikeMitchell wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:12 pm

I wouldn't say that. Injuries happen a lot early in the NFL season and NFL teams will need to sign players to fill out spots and there's a chance that they will end up getting significant playing time on that NFL team.
I am suggesting the players who don’t ever get back in the NFL this season. Those who wait out the entire season. End up not playing or getting paid by anyone. That will be the group that regrets passing on the XFL opportunity.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

Since training camp rosters are 70 each before being paired down to 45. There are going to be cuts by each team before the XFL season starts. Some of the players cut could end up on practice squads and team nine.

Drafting 70 players each means that with teams fielding 52 player rosters. 45 regular, 7 practice. That means that 144 of those drafted players will be cut before the season starts in February.