Team Names Coming Next Week?

XFL Football discussion.
Firecop
Coach

Re: Team Names Coming Next Week?

Post by Firecop »

The bottom line is, you have to take the league in its totality and not dwell or perseverate strictly on one specific item. They have striven very hard to try and do things right and no doubt will make a few minor errors along the way; that is to be expected. More importantly than names, logos or uniforms are such deal makers as TV coverage and contracts, community involvement, marketing, and of course on field talent. Very soon we will adapt and adopt our chosen team's identity and the only thing that will matter will be X and Os and W and Ls. It is indeed fortunate that cooler heads are building the league and not us fanatically impatient fans!
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

Firecop wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:11 am The bottom line is, you have to take the league in its totality and not dwell or perseverate strictly on one specific item. They have striven very hard to try and do things right and no doubt will make a few minor errors along the way; that is to be expected. More importantly than names, logos or uniforms are such deal makers as TV coverage and contracts, community involvement, marketing, and of course on field talent. Very soon we will adapt and adopt our chosen team's identity and the only thing that will matter will be X and Os and W and Ls. It is indeed fortunate that cooler heads are building the league and not us fanatically impatient fans!
Good points. It’s cool that people care. I am so happy that this league is happening and I hope that it lasts. It’s great for football.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

LeoNY wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:30 pm
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:47 pm This late in the process, with NFL games already being played and hype being built for the start of their season, is anyone outside the hardcore audience going to notice?

I still say they've already missed their window to make a big impact with this.
The XFL player signings will happen during the NFL season. The XFL draft happens during the NFL season. The XFL Uniform reveals happen during the NFL season. The XFL game rules will be released during the NFL season. The XFL’s release of the team schedules and individual ticket sales will happen during the NFL season. XFL training camps will happen during the NFL season. I guess that all these things should be canceled because the window is closed.
I already addressed this. Most of those things are done during the NFL season because it has to, because they need the access to post-preseason roster cuts.

Team names are purely a matter of marketing. They have to be released during a time when there is the least possible competition for attention. That was back in early July. That way you have a brand to tie your players to, your tickets to, your everything else to, that isn't some generic league name. Now this league is going into football season with no way to build hype for its product in the home markets.

The XFL's entire scheme was based upon the notion that it would place itself in NFL markets because that's where the football fans are. So if they're going to fight for NFL fans, they have to do it when they're not paying attention to the NFL. The team names are now going to be revealed when... they're watching the NFL and not paying attention. The XFL blew it. Big time.

Compound this with the fact that they apparently started this process over a month ago with trademarking the Seattle names, and all of a sudden they just abandoned it for the other seven. Again, the whole reason they announced this league back in 2018(!) was specifically to avoid the hangups and holdups that would prevent things from coming out on time.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:51 am
LeoNY wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:30 pm
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:47 pm This late in the process, with NFL games already being played and hype being built for the start of their season, is anyone outside the hardcore audience going to notice?

I still say they've already missed their window to make a big impact with this.
The XFL player signings will happen during the NFL season. The XFL draft happens during the NFL season. The XFL Uniform reveals happen during the NFL season. The XFL game rules will be released during the NFL season. The XFL’s release of the team schedules and individual ticket sales will happen during the NFL season. XFL training camps will happen during the NFL season. I guess that all these things should be canceled because the window is closed.
I already addressed this. Most of those things are done during the NFL season because it has to, because they need the access to post-preseason roster cuts.

Team names are purely a matter of marketing. They have to be released during a time when there is the least possible competition for attention. That was back in early July. That way you have a brand to tie your players to, your tickets to, your everything else to, that isn't some generic league name. Now this league is going into football season with no way to build hype for its product in the home markets.

The XFL's entire scheme was based upon the notion that it would place itself in NFL markets because that's where the football fans are. So if they're going to fight for NFL fans, they have to do it when they're not paying attention to the NFL. The team names are now going to be revealed when... they're watching the NFL and not paying attention. The XFL blew it. Big time.

Compound this with the fact that they apparently started this process over a month ago with trademarking the Seattle names, and all of a sudden they just abandoned it for the other seven. Again, the whole reason they announced this league back in 2018(!) was specifically to avoid the hangups and holdups that would prevent things from coming out on time.
I will meet you a quarter of the way here.

It would have been cool if the team name and logo was revealed in July. It would be the only thing that can be released during a supposed non NFL period.

Let’s pretend that they had been released then. Still no uniforms. You need an exclusive outfitter for that. They are not going on sale until they are ready and player jerseys won’t be available or needed until the teams actually have players. That’s not for two more months.

Team schedules and individual game ticket sales don’t happen until the league and venues can finalize them.

Everything non game related is going to happen during the NFL season. There’s no way around it.

The Seattle names may not even be the team name and it’s not necessary for the league to publish all their trademarks by now. When they are ready to release them. They can do it all on the same day. The trademark is just making it official and judging by the Seattle posting. It wasn’t anything that they were locked in for that team. Almost like a protection tactic if they decide to go with one of those names.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

The XFL’s target or projected date for finalizing the team identities was July but circumstances sometimes push things back further. It’s part of the legal and creative process.

I know some people think that the league has been hanging on to these for months and they are just trying to build up intrigue. That’s not the case. When done properly, these things take time.

The league wanted to reveal their cities earlier than December but there was a lot of going back and forth trying to whittle down 21 locations to just 8. There were also lease and financial agreements with the cities and venues that needed to be finalized. The league announced the cities and venues at the same time.

No matter when the team identities are presented. They don’t just get promotion on the sole day that you announce them. The names get promoted every single day all the way until February. You are going to see the identities every single day for over 20 plus weeks.
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

Yeah.....while I agree and I've been saying the same things about getting the names and logos out there for local brand marketing....it just doesn't seem to phase them at all. They'll do it when they're ready. Why would they have come this far......taken so many steps to build this thing.....the tv arrangements......maybe they just wanted to wait till the sports fans appetite turns to football again.....well it's time. And here's a good way......you wait until the cities NFL team is on a bye......then release the XFL brand that week. At least that way.....you take a headline in that market, and keep the league in the news all NFL season long. St. Louis of course can go first since there's no NFL presence there.
sergeantcline_vdf
Kicker

Post by sergeantcline_vdf »

It seem to me that the XFL is waiting to release the team names, logos and colors until they have signed an Jersey manufacturing Company ? I mean that would a smart way go about it because one they have released the names and logo and colors for the team.we all know that the next thing we the fans will be demanding are jersey shirt and hats? Just thought? Any thoughts?
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Agreed; that's a good point. For one thing, exact color availability can vary depending on your supplier. But you're right that you also want to be able to move merchandise immediately.

Who has been making these test footballs?
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Whenever the XFL posts something, many of those posts demand team names. It's become annoying. These take time. It took 11 months for Houston's NFL team to be named the Texans.
tshanks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by tshanks »

I guess the original rumor news article that started this thread has been proven to be a dud. Big surprise. Wasn't it "breaking news?" :D
Lover of the game, and looking forward to Spring football. Reporting on the XFL.