Could Josh Johnson be XFL bound after turning down an NFL job with The Ravens

XFL Football discussion.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Could Josh Johnson be XFL bound after turning down an NFL job with The Ravens

Post by LeoNY »

https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/stat ... 92832?s=20

The Ravens were scrambling to find an injury replacement for the summer for RG3. They offered a contract to Josh Johnson but he turned them down because he didn’t feel like the opportunity was the right one. Coincidentally The Ravens signed Joe Callahan instead. He worked out at The XFL Summer Showcase in New York.

Is it possible that Josh Johnson is going to be a top tier QB in the XFL and this is the reason, he passed on the Baltimore job which guarantees him no roster spot when RG3 returns.

I could see Josh Johnson taking another job in the NFL but where? Is he going to wait for a starting role to open up due to injury?
nick1091
Running Back

Re: Could Josh Johnson be XFL bound after turning down an NFL job with The Ravens

Post by nick1091 »

I think it's entirely possible he ends up an XFL Tier 1 QB, but I'm not sure that was his main factor in deciding to turn down the Ravens.

Realistically he was a short term camp arm until RG3 heals, and his shot to make the roster was slim to none. At 33 he's probably past the point where that kind of job represents a good opportunity (though it certainly makes sense why Callahan took it.)

My guess is the XFL is his fall back option while he sees if anything else better materializes; who would've thought at this point last year he'd have started about a quarter season for the Redskins? I imagine if any catastrophic QB injuries happen as camp and the season roll on he's on the short list of reliable street backups.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: Could Josh Johnson be XFL bound after turning down an NFL job with The Ravens

Post by MikeMitchell »

nick1091 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:08 pm I think it's entirely possible he ends up an XFL Tier 1 QB, but I'm not sure that was his main factor in deciding to turn down the Ravens.

Realistically he was a short term camp arm until RG3 heals, and his shot to make the roster was slim to none. At 33 he's probably past the point where that kind of job represents a good opportunity (though it certainly makes sense why Callahan took it.)

My guess is the XFL is his fall back option while he sees if anything else better materializes; who would've thought at this point last year he'd have started about a quarter season for the Redskins? I imagine if any catastrophic QB injuries happen as camp and the season roll on he's on the short list of reliable street backups.
Good post Nick. Johnson has been on 13 Different NFL teams. At 33 years of age, he is probably looking for a more stable position. Baltimore schematically, If RG3 wasn’t there, could have been a decent spot as Lamar’s backup. But with Griffin returning and a young McSorley on the roster. The odds were against Johnson making the team.

The XFL could provide a starting job for Johnson and a pretty decent salary that could be upwards of 600k, based on winning bonuses etc... it could end up being more.

A vested veteran like Johnson could still make decent coin as a backup in the NFL. Is he content with that at this stage of his career?

I do think that he could command tier one money based on how complimentary people like Oliver Luck and Eric Galko have been of him in past interviews.