Predicting XFL Team Names Announcement Next Week and Why

XFL Football discussion.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Re: Predicting XFL Team Names Announcement Next Week and Why

Post by LeoNY »

Even if the league has decided on all eight names. I don’t think that they have the logos and colors all set yet. That’s probably what’s holding up the process. That and all the legal stuff but I really think it’s the former.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

MikeMitchell wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:04 pm
GDAWG wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:53 pm

The reason the AAF waited until October to announce team names, logos and colors was because 6 of the 8 AAF markets were non-NFL markets so the focus and attention was on the AAF in 6 of the 8.
That’s not the reason why team names and logos were announced by the AAF at that time. The non nfl market aspect had nothing to do with their filings and two separate video reveals. They announced their two divisions separately. Arizona was in the west video. Atlanta in the east video. Same day as the other 6 teams.

The XFL announced their eight cities during the NFL season.

The names and logos will be announced when they are all ready to be announced.
I doubt the Dallas media is going to care what the name of the Dallas XFL team is going to be come September
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

GDAWG wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:20 pm
GDAWG wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:53 pm

The reason the AAF waited until October to announce team names, logos and colors was because 6 of the 8 AAF markets were non-NFL markets so the focus and attention was on the AAF in 6 of the 8.
That’s not the reason why team names and logos were announced by the AAF at that time. The non nfl market aspect had nothing to do with their filings and two separate video reveals. They announced their two divisions separately. Arizona was in the west video. Atlanta in the east video. Same day as the other 6 teams.

I doubt the Dallas media is going to care what the name of the Dallas XFL team is going to be come September
It’s going to be news whenever it is released. Ideally it would be now but whether it’s July 22nd or 29th or August 3rd. It’s still going to make headlines. A name doesn’t disappear once it’s made public.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

LeoNY wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:23 pm
GDAWG wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:20 pm

It’s going to be news whenever it is released. Ideally it would be now but whether it’s July 22nd or 29th or August 3rd. It’s still going to make headlines. A name doesn’t disappear once it’s made public.
Let me word it differently: when the XFL Dallas team name is going to be announced, it will be mentioned by the Dallas media but it will not be a big deal, especially not when the Cowboys take up 95% of the local sports headlines from September to Christmas.
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

I did some research on the USPTO.gov website and found that the AAF filed for the East teams on 9-18-19. They were announced on 9-20-19. The West teams were filed on 9-20-19 and announced 9-25-19.

It's interesting that the teams in each division was filed with a different owner – Historical Technologies LLC for the East and Revolutionary Adventures LLC for the West.

I don't know what the lag in posting to TESS was for the AAF filings. It seems that the Seattle XFL names had a lag of around 2 weeks as no one reported anything until then.

I watched a few videos on the USPTO website and found some interesting info.

Once the name/logo is filed, an attorney will research the filing. When that is completed, the filing will be posted for opposition. This could take months. The “Trademark Official Gazette” is released once per week on Tuesdays on the USPTO website. Once posted, there will be 30 days for any opposition to come forward. The AAF filings were posted there on February 26 with the exception of SA who was posted on March 5. Once the 30 day period is over and any opposition defeated, there is still a long wait until the name/logo will be registered and challenges can still occur.

Because they would like to keep the names/logos secret until the official release, I think they will have to be well researched by the XFL and possibly very unique (or very common) in order to avoid problems with registering. They may have a couple of weeks from filing to posting on TESS but I don't think that is not enough time for anything of importance to happen at the USPTO.
It's gettin' hot in here...and we about to burn 'em up!

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Andibald wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:59 pm I did some research on the USPTO.gov website and found that the AAF filed for the East teams on 9-18-19. They were announced on 9-20-19. The West teams were filed on 9-20-19 and announced 9-25-19.

It's interesting that the teams in each division was filed with a different owner – Historical Technologies LLC for the East and Revolutionary Adventures LLC for the West.

I don't know what the lag in posting to TESS was for the AAF filings. It seems that the Seattle XFL names had a lag of around 2 weeks as no one reported anything until then.

Once the name/logo is filed, an attorney will research the filing. When that is completed, the filing will be posted for opposition. This could take months. The “Trademark Official Gazette” is released once per week on Tuesdays on the USPTO website. Once posted, there will be 30 days for any opposition to come forward. The AAF filings were posted there on February 26 with the exception of SA who was posted on March 5. Once the 30 day period is over and any opposition defeated, there is still a long wait until the name/logo will be registered and challenges can still occur.

Because they would like to keep the names/logos secret until the official release, I think they will have to be well researched by the XFL and possibly very unique (or very common) in order to avoid problems with registering. They may have a couple of weeks from filing to posting on TESS but I don't think that is not enough time for anything of importance to happen at the USPTO.
Good research. It’s of note that the reported trademark filings for NHL’s Seattle team are not listed at the USPTO site. There are supposedly over a dozen in the running.

Names like the Seattle Steelheads and Seattle Sockeyes are actually registered by an author who has used those names in her romance novels.

Companies have a back door way of filing trademarks. By doing it overseas before it’s done in the states. Not sure if the NHL or XFL have done this.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

Andibald wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:59 pm I did some research on the USPTO.gov website and found that the AAF filed for the East teams on 9-18-19. They were announced on 9-20-19. The West teams were filed on 9-20-19 and announced 9-25-19.

You can end up spending a lot of time at USPTO looking for filed trademarks. So many USFL and XFL team names have been abandoned. Like the Tampa Bay Bandits and Los Angeles Xtreme.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

LeoNY wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:17 pm Even if the league has decided on all eight names. I don’t think that they have the logos and colors all set yet. That’s probably what’s holding up the process. That and all the legal stuff but I really think it’s the former.
They don't really need to release the logos and colors at the same time. You look at the UFL, they announced the names first and the logos second... and didn't even come up with unique colors and uniforms until the second year of play! Now, obviously, with a league twice as big, the XFL isn't going to be able to take THAT long, but...

...they said they were going to have these ready by now. Actually, a month ago. They filed trademarks for Seattle names but apparently have stalled since then, which is, well, awkward. (Unless they've formed another shell company to hide the IP rights from Web searchers, which I don't think has happened. I did check WWE trademarks, and nothing there, either.)

This is just my total speculation, but my best guess would be that there is some sort of corporate holdup going on. What that holdup is, I have no idea.
Joker
Quarterback

Post by Joker »

I'm sorry that this headline made me look. Predictions are useless. xflnewshub starting to sound like Buzzfeed, where they are making news and posting headlines just to get the visitors.
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:59 pm
LeoNY wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:17 pm Even if the league has decided on all eight names. I don’t think that they have the logos and colors all set yet. That’s probably what’s holding up the process. That and all the legal stuff but I really think it’s the former.
They don't really need to release the logos and colors at the same time. You look at the UFL, they announced the names first and the logos second... and didn't even come up with unique colors and uniforms until the second year of play! Now, obviously, with a league twice as big, the XFL isn't going to be able to take THAT long, but...

...they said they were going to have these ready by now. Actually, a month ago. They filed trademarks for Seattle names but apparently have stalled since then, which is, well, awkward. (Unless they've formed another shell company to hide the IP rights from Web searchers, which I don't think has happened. I did check WWE trademarks, and nothing there, either.)

This is just my total speculation, but my best guess would be that there is some sort of corporate holdup going on. What that holdup is, I have no idea.
I think the league wants to release the names and logos all at once, and together at the same time. The name itself is easier than deciding on the colors and logo from a creative standpoint. All the colors and logos have to be different for the eight teams as well. In theory, you can name a team the Cougars very easily, coming up with a logo and color scheme is much harder to decide upon. You also have to avoid infringement when it comes to that too. The Alpha Entertainment logo itself has already been challenged by Adidas. So the team logos need to be unique and not look like a copy of any entertainment or sports property.