Predicting XFL Team Names Announcement Next Week and Why

XFL Football discussion.
XFLInSTL
Running Back

Re: Predicting XFL Team Names Announcement Next Week and Why

Post by XFLInSTL »

Sounder wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:16 pm But if our Seattle qb comes down to the result of the Seahawks backup battle .....I want the WINNER. of that battle. Say if it's Lynch......he could either be Russell's backup with the Hawks and make great money while waiting for Russ to get hurt .....OR ......he could play......as a starter .....and make maybe not as much money .....but his desire to choose playing over sitting would tell the fans plenty. And they'd be behind him. Settling for Geno as the loser would feel like "settling"........like being picked last for a pickup game.....cuz no one really wanted you
First of all, the winner (probably Lynch) isn't likely to take a big ass paycut to play in a startup league. Geno Smith, based largely on his college days, fits the XFL model well, not sure about what Zorn's offensive strategy will be like though.
St. Louis Battlehawks
Dynamofan1

Post by Dynamofan1 »

I think the impatience for the names and logos is very natural. We want the names asap for the following reasons:
1. Identity is important when creating a connection between team and fan.
2. It will be the icing on the XFL cake until the first game at least. It just seems knowing the names brings a certain finality to the league being REAL and HERE.
3. PEOPLE want merch so they can rep their XFL team now thru Feb kick off.
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

Dynamofan1 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:31 pm I think the impatience for the names and logos is very natural. We want the names asap for the following reasons:
2. It will be the icing on the XFL cake until the first game at least. It just seems knowing the names brings a certain finality to the league being REAL and HERE.

I approve of that post. Couldn't say it better.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Dynamofan1 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:31 pm I think the impatience for the names and logos is very natural. We want the names asap for the following reasons:
I agree and I get the impatience. The sooner all these things are done, the better.

So far everything that the league has done, has come later than expected. It’s not because of ineptitude or some tax write off conspiracy. It’s simply because the league has been very methodical in their approach. They haven’t rushed into anything thus far. They are trying to get everything right.

The XFL did the same thing with their city announcement, tv deal and head coach hires.

They are even doing this with their league rules. They are headed towards their third round of game/broadcast testing with The Spring League. After testing with the NJCAA and YCF. Many could complain that they should already have the rules in place but the league has no interest in finalizing their rules until they feel everything is all set to go.
XtremeFanForever
Coach

Post by XtremeFanForever »

MikeMitchell wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:34 am
I agree and I get the impatience. The sooner all these things are done, the better.

So far everything that the league has done, has come later than expected. It’s not because of ineptitude or some tax write off conspiracy. It’s simply because the league has been very methodical in their approach. They haven’t rushed into anything thus far. They are trying to get everything right.

The XFL did the same thing with their city announcement, tv deal and head coach hires.

They are even doing this with their league rules. They are headed towards their third round of game/broadcast testing with The Spring League. After testing with the NJCAA and YCF. Many could complain that they should already have the rules in place but the league has no interest in finalizing their rules until they feel everything is all set to go.

I just wish they'd stop saying "we hope to have this done in X weeks." They haven't set too many strict deadlines but for the sake of my sanity I just wish they'd say "there's no timeline for that, but we plan to make an announcement in the near future."
RIP Xtreme; forever champions

RIP Wildcats; forever 2-3
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

XtremeFanForever wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:47 pm
MikeMitchell wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:34 am

I just wish they'd stop saying "we hope to have this done in X weeks." They haven't set too many strict deadlines but for the sake of my sanity I just wish they'd say "there's no timeline for that, but we plan to make an announcement in the near future."
I get that. I remember Luck doing interviews after he was named CEO. In every interview last summer. He said that the league would be announcing their eight cities in the fall. People expected September. Nothing came. Then October. Nothing came. Then November and nothing came. I remember reading on Reddit how the XFL screwed up and that the AAF killed their chances to find 8 locations. How they would be retracting down to 4 teams.

The same thing happened for the TV Deal and Head Coaches. Luck did dozens of interviews during Super Bowl week. He teased the tv deal and coach hires and labeled them as being announcements in the first quarter of the year. Coach hires started in the first quarter but didn’t end until recently. The TV deal came in May.
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

Ok......so does all this dragging out of things mean come February there's still no kickoff?....... Ya think they can get it going by next May or June? Gotta do it right.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Sounder wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:21 pm Ok......so does all this dragging out of things mean come February there's still no kickoff?....... Ya think they can get it going by next May or June? Gotta do it right.
Anyone who has followed the history of these leagues knows that there have been leagues that have failed to launch on time or as advertised. Usually due to cash issues or not being able to line up business partners. The XFL has neither of those issues.
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

I can see the XFL burning through Vince's money a lot faster than what they're projecting. I think the money in the bank now gets him through this season...... but going forward..... he'll need investors. I think Mr. Trump should be needing something to do in a year or so.
In the meantime......there's only seven months left of a two year planning cycle and they still don't have a rulebook even? I'm thinking they're not ready and should delay the start till 2021......that slow and methodical enough? After all,. the pain that the AAF inflicted on the spring football concept is still pretty fresh. A strategic one more year delay might be good.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

By the way, why do you think that the starting QB for XFL Seattle will be a cast off from the Hawks? The QB could be coming from anywhere - literally! It could be a NFL castoff, or a college QB who went undrafted etc. etc. Heck, I suppose it's even possible it could be a former HS or JC QB (not likely of course) While I hope XFL Seattle has a great starting QB, I'm behind whoever they start.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair