Predicting XFL Team Names Announcement Next Week and Why

XFL Football discussion.
Logofan
Kicker

Re: Predicting XFL Team Names Announcement Next Week and Why

Post by Logofan »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:25 pm WE NEED THE TEAM NAMES NOW.
Team names and logos are not the critical piece right now. The AAF delivered team names and logos and it was a sh*t-show. This isn't Vince's first rodeo with football and I would prefer for all the other pieced not only be done but done right.

I'm not the least bit concerned about this. Too much groundwork has already been done for this to be a marketing or tax scam as some have suggested. Just be patient. The ONLY thing concerning me is I don't want to see team names like the New York Nightzzz, Seattlle Kodiax or the LA Xterminatorz.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:25 pm The longer the XFL goes without names, the more money they lose.
That's OK. If you're the AAF or the AAFL, maybe you need to push out merchandise ASAP so you can get enough of a cash flow to stage Week 1. The XFL is not in that situation.

The XFL left a lot of money on the table by putting on these Summer Showcases rather than doing the pay-to-play open tryouts that most leagues do. They did it because they'd rather be a responsible member of the football community than make a quick buck.

Similarly, releasing the team brands in an NFL dead zone might yield a little more in merchandise sales, but it's not going to help them achieve their long term goal of creating a television product that will yield significant revenue.

Regarding exposure, if you're going to make it as a Feb-Apr league, you need to be strong enough to penetrate the market in the holiday season/during the NFL playoffs. I don't think perfectly timing the summer news cycle amounts to much.

The original XFL dropped team brands in August, and they delivered awesome February measurables. In the long run, the quality of the brands held the league back. Consider me totally unconcerned that we have't seen anything yet, and count me firmly in the "do it right" rather than the "do it fast" camp. They could wait until November, as far as I'm concerned.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Tank55 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:35 pm
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:25 pm The longer the XFL goes without names, the more money they lose.
That's OK. If you're the AAF or the AAFL, maybe you need to push out merchandise ASAP so you can get enough of a cash flow to stage Week 1. The XFL is not in that situation.

The XFL left a lot of money on the table by putting on these Summer Showcases rather than doing the pay-to-play open tryouts that most leagues do. They did it because they'd rather be a responsible member of the football community than make a quick buck.

Similarly, releasing the team brands in an NFL dead zone might yield a little more in merchandise sales, but it's not going to help them achieve their long term goal of creating a television product that will yield significant revenue.

Regarding exposure, if you're going to make it as a Feb-Apr league, you need to be strong enough to penetrate the market in the holiday season/during the NFL playoffs. I don't think perfectly timing the summer news cycle amounts to much.

The original XFL dropped team brands in August, and they delivered awesome February measurables. In the long run, the quality of the brands held the league back. Consider me totally unconcerned that we have't seen anything yet, and count me firmly in the "do it right" rather than the "do it fast" camp. They could wait until November, as far as I'm concerned.
Not releasing team names and colors until November will end with nothing but tweets asking "Team names?" every time the XFL issues a tweet that has nothing to do with team names. And I kind of want to see that for some strange reason.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Some men just want to watch the world burn.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Tank55 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:51 pm Some men just want to watch the world burn.
It's already started.......every time the XFL has tweeted about a player trying out, one of the tweets ask "Team names?"

It's more for some, patience is wearing thin and they want the team names now.
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

Well the players trying out are a little difficult to really get amped about because we just saw the same guys fail with the AAF whether they were at fault or not. This league needs to sell the public on things other than the actual players .....that means the logos, the names, the game itself with the gimmicky rules......the whole spectacle. In time..... they'll make stars that sell tickets. That isn't happening now. I won't jump up and down over our qb battle being the "loser" of the backup battle for the Seahawks.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

This times a hundred.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

Sounder wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:39 pm Well the players trying out are a little difficult to really get amped about because we just saw the same guys fail with the AAF whether they were at fault or not. This league needs to sell the public on things other than the actual players .....that means the logos, the names, the game itself with the gimmicky rules......the whole spectacle. In time..... they'll make stars that sell tickets. That isn't happening now. I won't jump up and down over our qb battle being the "loser" of the backup battle for the Seahawks.
I’d say about 60 percent or more of the nearly 900 players that worked out for the Showcases are non AAF players.
XtremeFanForever
Coach

Post by XtremeFanForever »

LeoNY wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:56 pm

This times a hundred.

Same. I think the tryout sign ups point is a good one. I fully expected pay-to-play tryouts but doing it the way they did definitely made the league look a lot more legitimate.
RIP Xtreme; forever champions

RIP Wildcats; forever 2-3
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

But if our Seattle qb comes down to the result of the Seahawks backup battle .....I want the WINNER. of that battle. Say if it's Lynch......he could either be Russell's backup with the Hawks and make great money while waiting for Russ to get hurt .....OR ......he could play......as a starter .....and make maybe not as much money .....but his desire to choose playing over sitting would tell the fans plenty. And they'd be behind him. Settling for Geno as the loser would feel like "settling"........like being picked last for a pickup game.....cuz no one really wanted you