Predicting XFL Team Names Announcement Next Week and Why

XFL Football discussion.
GDAWG
MVP

Predicting XFL Team Names Announcement Next Week and Why

Post by GDAWG »

With the final XFL Summer Showcase taking place this weekend in St Louis, the next logical step in the XFL’s evolution is team names and logos. The question on everyone’s mind is when.

Every press conference, every article, every interview, and for us in the XFL media. Every time we talk XFL to none junkies, we get asked over and over again. When are the XFL team names coming?

Well, today via the XFL’s official Twitter account we got a little more confirmation that it will be soon.

What we know about XFL team names so far;
•It is a painful and lengthy process to acquire them. Lots of legal deals, trademark searches, lawyers, negotiations for web domains, and social media accounts. It is not a quick transaction once the league selects a team name.
•The head coaches already know the team names. Several of the XFL coaches and team presidents have mentioned during interviews they know what the team name is and can’t say.
•XFL Seattle has a block of names ready to go. We reported on the Trademark by Alpha Entertainment of the five XFL Seattle names earlier.
•Oliver Luck, other coaches, and team presidents have said we will know in July. But we have also heard May and June in the past.

So the question is when;
•If they are going to pull the trigger on names, which is a huge deal, they need to do it during a slow sports news cycle. July 8th to July 17th is known as the quietest sports news cycle of the year. Nothing but the MLB All-Star game and this year women’s soccer. This is also a big summer vacation time in the US around July 4th. Perfect time to strike and take up that space.
•NFL training camps start July 17th for four teams. The Arizona Cardinals, Baltimore Ravens, Denver Broncos and Seattle Seahawks. Once NFL camps begin, all the focus will be back on fall football. The rest of the training camps open the week of July 22nd.

If the XFL does not want to lose the news cycle to the NFL, they need to announce the team names by July 16. The question becomes, will it all be in one fell swoop with all eight teams announced in New York or LA? Could it be like they did the coaching announcements, one in each city?

My prediction is next week, before NFL training camps in one fell swoop. They would have the sports news cycle all to themselves. This would peak NFL fans interest before their season begins and hopefully keep that hook in before the XFL kickoff in 2020.

The more this drags into the NFL season, the less focus the football fan will have. With NFL and college games being played in August, there is only so much attention to go around.

I could be wrong, and we wait and wait. But XFL super fans like us, we are ready for our tribe and start repping our gear. Fans not part of the eight cities are also ready. Fans can’t be all in, without a team to root for, they have been patiently waiting.

How would you handle the announcements of the XFL team names? What is more import to you, names, or logos? Leave us a comment
https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-teams/predic ... ouncement/

So he's predicting we will know the team names by Tuesday.
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: Predicting XFL Team Names Announcement Next Week and Why

Post by MarkNelson »

I think we will know soon, but predicting the date of the announcement is quite silly. The XFL has been promising these names every month since March. Clearly, they will release them when they are ready. Not any sooner than that.
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

mnelson wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:23 am I think we will know soon, but predicting the date of the announcement is quite silly. The XFL has been promising these names every month since March. Clearly, they will release them when they are ready. Not any sooner than that.
The patience of many people on social media is wearing thin. Everytime the league tweets something different, there are one or two people who respond "what are the team names?"
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

GDAWG wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:09 am
mnelson wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:23 am I think we will know soon, but predicting the date of the announcement is quite silly. The XFL has been promising these names every month since March. Clearly, they will release them when they are ready. Not any sooner than that.
The patience of many people on social media is wearing thin. Everytime the league tweets something different, there are one or two people who respond "what are the team names?"
This mania over the team name announcements is so weird to me.
@gregmparks
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

I agree. Particularly with the last part. This will infuriate people but it wouldn’t shock me if they were revealed the last week on the month or even the first week of August.

The league doesn’t have any press announcements scheduled for this coming week. That could change but I am not expecting the reveal to be next week. I hope so.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

GregParks wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:17 am
GDAWG wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:09 am
This mania over the team name announcements is so weird to me.
Same here. We are in the minority on this one.

It’s very important for sure, but we will eventually get them. I remember people online going crazy about the leagues cities not being announced. It was supposed to be announced in the fall. So when it didn’t happen in September, October or November. There were some people on Reddit and social media, swearing up and down that it spelled doom and that the AAF had beaten the XFL to the market place and that the league couldn’t find eight cities and would be retracting to only 4 teams for season one.

I think the city locations, head coaches and team names take time because they are very important. With team names/logos. It’s legal work and branding. Once the decisions are final. There is no going back.
XtremeFanForever
Coach

Post by XtremeFanForever »

I'm not super optimistic we'll get them any time soon. It's been a month since the Seattle names were registered and it's been radio silence since. I guess we could suddenly seen all the other seven cities get registered within the week but I doubt it.
RIP Xtreme; forever champions

RIP Wildcats; forever 2-3
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

XtremeFanForever wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:20 pm I'm not super optimistic we'll get them any time soon. It's been a month since the Seattle names were registered and it's been radio silence since. I guess we could suddenly seen all the other seven cities get registered within the week but I doubt it.
Sometimes the names are announced on the very day that they are filed for trademark. The AAF did that. When the league is ready. All 8 will probably be filed and announced on the same day.

Those five Seattle names may not be it or they could be the only situation where the league is unsure.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

100% certain that this coming week, the XFL tweets something different and at least 2 or 3 people will asked "Team names?" in all of those posts.

Not sure that waiting until NFL training camps to start to announce team names is a good idea, especially when 7 of the 8 cities have NFL teams starting training camps soon. I know that when the Cowboys start training camp in California, the entire focus of the local media will be on the Cowboys, despite the fact that the Rangers are still playing. If XFL Dallas announces their team name when the Cowboys start training camp, it could easily get lost in the shuffle.

The reason the AAF waited until October to announce team names, logos and colors was because 6 of the 8 AAF markets were non-NFL markets so the focus and attention was on the AAF in 6 of the 8.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

GDAWG wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:53 pm

The reason the AAF waited until October to announce team names, logos and colors was because 6 of the 8 AAF markets were non-NFL markets so the focus and attention was on the AAF in 6 of the 8.
That’s not the reason why team names and logos were announced by the AAF at that time. The non nfl market aspect had nothing to do with their filings and two separate video reveals. They announced their two divisions separately. Arizona was in the west video. Atlanta in the east video. Same day as the other 6 teams.

The XFL announced their eight cities during the NFL season.

The names and logos will be announced when they are all ready to be announced.