XFL Show posts Mock XFL TV Schedule

XFL Football discussion.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Re: XFL Show posts Mock XFL TV Schedule

Post by LeoNY »

I am not even going to attempt to do a full ten week schedule. This is my week one XFL mock. With attendance, weather and ratings in mind.

Saturday February 8th, 2020

New York at St. Louis- 2pm et ABC

- Divisional game. Big tv market team. Keep NY on the road.

Washington at Dallas 5pm et FOX

- Natural rivalry built in. Two big markets. Chance for a sell out in Stoops debut regardless of opponent. This keeps DC like NY on the road.

Sunday February 9th, 2020

Tampa Bay at Houston 2pm et FOX

- June Jones vs Jerry Glanville in Houston. That will sell tickets.

Seattle at Los Angeles 5pm et on ESPN

- Smaller stadium. Good weather. Natural west coast rivals. Original XFL champs close out week one.
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

I think it would be proper for the new L.A. Xtreme to pay homage to the original champs by having Maddox and company there for the opener and a nice ceremony. A near capacity crowd shouldn't be a problem. I just wish this game will be on Fox rather than ESPN. But if not.....I would at least hope that just like the NFL......when Seattle's on the road.....their games should get local coverage in the home market when not over the air
IMG_20190710_145827.jpg
IMG_20190710_145827.jpg (116.07 KiB) Viewed 3561 times
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Sounder wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:19 pm I think it would be proper for the new L.A. Xtreme to pay homage to the original champs by having Maddox and company there for the opener and a nice ceremony. A near capacity crowd shouldn't be a problem. I just wish this game will be on Fox rather than ESPN. But if not.....I would at least hope that just like the NFL......when Seattle's on the road.....their games should get local coverage in the home market when not over the air IMG_20190710_145827.jpg
Call it a hunch or just wishful thinking but I have a feeling that Tommy Maddox will be involved in the XFL. One way or another. It only makes sense for him to be at the home opener. As an old XFL Stan. I would love Jeremaine Copeland and other LA Xtreme players to also get some type of tribute.

Oliver Luck mentioned during his press scrum in DC, that Tommy Maddox has already expressed interest in XFL 2020, so I would be shocked if it doesn’t happen.

I wouldn’t rule out some sort of Rod Smart sighting at some point during season one.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

LeoNY wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:07 pm I am not even going to attempt to do a full ten week schedule. This is my week one XFL mock. With attendance, weather and ratings in mind.

- Natural rivalry built in. Two big markets. Chance for a sell out in Stoops debut regardless of opponent. This keeps DC like NY on the road.

- Smaller stadium. Good weather. Natural west coast rivals. Original XFL champs close out week one.
Not bad. This is not quite the schedule everyone is hoping for but it does cover for weather and attendance pretty well. A DC home game is great for attendance but dangerous for weather purposes. I am probably most excited to see what Dallas and Washington’s home stadiums will look like. There will be a temptation to book Tampa at home a week after the Super Bowl.

Personally, I like the idea of swinging for the fences in week one and I want Dallas and Houston, although I can see the rationale for saving it. With the proper hype and marketing plan. Week one should do pretty well attendance wise. It’s a matter of maintaining the turnouts as the season goes along.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

For both live attendance and TV viewership, I think it's going to be such a key to get to year two. I figure a lot of people will be skeptical about this project, given the high-profile flameouts of previous spring leagues after one season (or less), especially coming on the heels of the AAF. If the XFL is in healthy shape going in to year two, I think you'll see more people embrace watching on TV and going to games, as they'll feel more comfortable getting invested in the league and its teams. So to me, the year one to year two comparisons in those two departments will be interesting to me.
@gregmparks
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

GregParks wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:04 pm For both live attendance and TV viewership, I think it's going to be such a key to get to year two. I figure a lot of people will be skeptical about this project, given the high-profile flameouts of previous spring leagues after one season (or less), especially coming on the heels of the AAF. If the XFL is in healthy shape going in to year two, I think you'll see more people embrace watching on TV and going to games, as they'll feel more comfortable getting invested in the league and its teams. So to me, the year one to year two comparisons in those two departments will be interesting to me.
No doubt about it. The first year is all about survival. Year one is like a prove it period for the league. To the sports world, the players, agents and fans. How do they get people to invest their time and energy in a league when they have been burned so many times before.

Make no mistake about it. Year one is going to be filled with ups and downs. Can the league survive all the hits and still be in one piece when the smoke clears. You want to get to year two with the arrows pointing in the right direction.
Shooter McGav1n
Receiver

Post by Shooter McGav1n »

LeoNY wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:07 pm I am not even going to attempt to do a full ten week schedule. This is my week one XFL mock. With attendance, weather and ratings in mind.

I spent some time working on a mock schedule, and strangely enough started with the same schedule for week 1. I started with LA, Dallas, and Houston at home because they're the 3 smallest venues, not counting DC (which I ruled out due to weather), and St Louis because they're in the Dome (no weather issues) and should have a large turnout for game 1.

Just for fun, here's what I came up with:

week 1:
DC at Dallas
NY at St Louis
TB at Houston
Seattle at LA

week 2:
St Louis at DC
LA at Houston
Dallas at TB
NY at Seattle

week 3:
DC at TB
Seattle at Dallas
LA at NY
Houston at St Louis

week 4:
NY at DC
Dallas at Houston
TB at LA
St Louis at Seattle

week 5:
Dallas at NY
Houston at Seattle
St Louis at TB
DC at LA

week 6:
TB at NY
St Louis at Dallas
Houston at DC
LA at Seattle

week 7:
NY at Houston
La at Dallas
Seattle at TB
DC at St Louis

Week 8:
TB at St Louis
Dallas at Seattle
DC at NY
Houston at LA

week 9:
Dallas at LA
St Louis at NY
TB at DC
Seattle at Houston

week 10:
LA at St Louis
Houston at Dallas
NY at TB
Seattle at DC

I didn't bother writing times and dates, but did put the games in order of how I would schedule them for the week (first game Saturday early, next game Saturday late, etc.). A few of the issues I had with it, Seattle has 3 consecutive home games wk. 4-6, St Louis has 3 consecutive away games wk. 4-6. Also, Dallas plays LA in weeks 7 and 9, I'd like to have them split up a little more but it didn't work out that way. Trying to backload the home schedule for NY and DC also threw things out of whack a little bit.
I realize this is basically a waste of time, but it did give me something to do while thinking about the XFL.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

Shooter McGav1n wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:49 pm

I spent some time working on a mock schedule, and strangely enough started with the same schedule for week 1. I started with LA, Dallas, and Houston at home because they're the 3 smallest venues, not counting DC (which I ruled out due to weather), and St Louis because they're in the Dome (no weather issues) and should have a large turnout for game 1.

Just for fun, here's what I came up with:

week 1:
DC at Dallas
NY at St Louis
TB at Houston
Seattle at LA

week 2:
St Louis at DC
LA at Houston
Dallas at TB
NY at Seattle

week 3:
DC at TB
Seattle at Dallas
LA at NY
Houston at St Louis

week 4:
NY at DC
Dallas at Houston
TB at LA
St Louis at Seattle

week 5:
Dallas at NY
Houston at Seattle
St Louis at TB
DC at LA

week 6:
TB at NY
St Louis at Dallas
Houston at DC
LA at Seattle

week 7:
NY at Houston
La at Dallas
Seattle at TB
DC at St Louis

Week 8:
TB at St Louis
Dallas at Seattle
DC at NY
Houston at LA

week 9:
Dallas at LA
St Louis at NY
TB at DC
Seattle at Houston

week 10:
LA at St Louis
Houston at Dallas
NY at TB
Seattle at DC

I didn't bother writing times and dates, but did put the games in order of how I would schedule them for the week (first game Saturday early, next game Saturday late, etc.). A few of the issues I had with it, Seattle has 3 consecutive home games wk. 4-6, St Louis has 3 consecutive away games wk. 4-6. Also, Dallas plays LA in weeks 7 and 9, I'd like to have them split up a little more but it didn't work out that way. Trying to backload the home schedule for NY and DC also threw things out of whack a little bit.
I realize this is basically a waste of time, but it did give me something to do while thinking about the XFL.
At first glance. This looks very good. Not easy to do. Out of curiosity. Which games in weeks nine and ten are your Thursday night prime time games on Fox.
Shooter McGav1n
Receiver

Post by Shooter McGav1n »

LeoNY wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:13 pm
Shooter McGav1n wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:49 pm
LeoNY wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:07 pm
week 9:
Dallas at LA
St Louis at NY
TB at DC
Seattle at Houston

week 10:
LA at St Louis
Houston at Dallas
NY at TB
Seattle at DC

At first glance. This looks very good. Not easy to do. Out of curiosity. Which games in weeks nine and ten are your Thursday night prime time games on Fox.
I went with Dallas and LA in week 9 because I think Coach Stoops' team in Dallas is going to be one of the better teams in the league. Also L.A. and Dallas are the second and fifth largest TV markets in the U.S. which should help the ratings.

Week 10 was tough, because you have the Thursday night game and Sunday is Easter with the first game at 12pm ET. I wanted 2 east coast teams for that slot so none of the other markets would have to deal with a game starting before noon on Easter morning. Dallas/Houston is the premiere matchup and I wanted to save it for the weekend (although now that I think about it, the 3pm slot Easter Sunday on espn might be best for that one). So with that in mind I went with LA/St Louis on Thursday night, it should be a solid matchup with Coach Moss going against Coach Hayes.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Not bad Shooter. It will probably take some time to inspect your mock schedule further. It's not easy to schedule an 8 team league for 10 weeks. You need home and home for the divisional matchups and two separate home and road games for non divisional opponents.

Knowing you Shooter, you probably accounted for everything. Even still, it's difficult to keep everything lined up.

Your issue with teams having long road stretches or playing teams multiple times in short spans, is hard to avoid when making an 8 team schedule. You find this out when you sit down and actually try to do it. Especially when you to attempt to backload home schedules for northeastern teams.

The unknown factor is venue scheduling. You have to work around that as well. We don't have that info available, but it changes things if you know that a particular team can't be at home on certain weeks. Like Tampa. as a small example, during WrestleMania week. (Week 9)

Those Thursday night games late in the season are interesting. You almost want to make sure that the teams that end up playing on the short week, are playing on the Saturday prior, rather than Sunday. From a competitive side, if you are a playoff team. You kind of want to get that last Thursday game of the regular season. It will give you extra time to prepare for the playoff matchup nine or ten days later.. That's boring football stuff but coaches and teams care about getting any advantage they can.

It's possible that the league doesn't set the week 9 and 10 game times, just to give them the flexibility, to flex to a more desirable game for their prime time network games.