XFL Show posts Mock XFL TV Schedule

XFL Football discussion.
Shooter McGav1n
Receiver

Re: XFL Show posts Mock XFL TV Schedule

Post by Shooter McGav1n »

MikeMitchell wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:54 pm Not bad Shooter. It will probably take some time to inspect your mock schedule further. It's not easy to schedule an 8 team league for 10 weeks. You need home and home for the divisional matchups and two separate home and road games for non divisional opponents.

Knowing you Shooter, you probably accounted for everything. Even still, it's difficult to keep everything lined up.

Your issue with teams having long road stretches or playing teams multiple times in short spans, is hard to avoid when making an 8 team schedule. You find this out when you sit down and actually try to do it. Especially when you to attempt to backload home schedules for northeastern teams.

The unknown factor is venue scheduling. You have to work around that as well. We don't have that info available, but it changes things if you know that a particular team can't be at home on certain weeks. Like Tampa. as a small example, during WrestleMania week. (Week 9)

Those Thursday night games late in the season are interesting. You almost want to make sure that the teams that end up playing on the short week, are playing on the Saturday prior, rather than Sunday. From a competitive side, if you are a playoff team. You kind of want to get that last Thursday game of the regular season. It will give you extra time to prepare for the playoff matchup nine or ten days later.. That's boring football stuff but coaches and teams care about getting any advantage they can.

It's possible that the league doesn't set the week 9 and 10 game times, just to give them the flexibility, to flex to a more desirable game for their prime time network games.
I tried to take as many factor into account as possible, if I were to do it again, I'd probably pay more attention to the 2 Thursday games. While I tried to spread the marquee matchups throughout the season, there are a couple of weeks where that's lacking also. Having said that, I wasn't too worried about it because I know the league will develop it's own storylines as the season goes on. What we think will be a big matchup now, may not be the case, conversely, you may see something like Tampa vs St Louis in week 8 being huge.

One thing I did focus on was the stadiums, DC, Dallas and LA have the smallest stadiums, so I wasn't too worried about their attendance. Houston's capacity is 40,000 and I think it's possible to get close to that number in attendance if they have a decent team. I knew week 1 would be well attended, so I put the least desirable matchup there (TB). There's nothing I could do about the 3 division games, but I did send NY to Houston as their second inter-division game. As the largest City in the US, there are a lot of people spread throughout the country with ties to NY. Same thing with New York, I scheduled Dallas (obvious NFL rivalry) and LA (second largest city).

As far as scheduling Thursday teams early for the week before, It didn't work out for both teams in week 9, but I was able to at least give the road team an extra days rest. If I could only give it to 1 team I figured the road team should get it since they have travel to deal with. Week 10 worked out, as LA was scheduled for the previous Thursday night game also, and St Louis was scheduled for Saturday's game.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

MikeMitchell wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:58 pm I wouldn’t rule out some sort of Rod Smart sighting at some point during season one.
If they can find him :mrgreen:

But seriously... I did notice they still own the "He Hate Me" trademark.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:28 pm
MikeMitchell wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:58 pm I wouldn’t rule out some sort of Rod Smart sighting at some point during season one.
If they can find him :mrgreen:

But seriously... I did notice they still own the "He Hate Me" trademark.
He's been found already. "He find me"

Sounds like there was some sort of legal issue that he was trying to avoid. Hopefully everything is ok with him.
steinerfhc
Quarterback

Post by steinerfhc »

To chime in on the TV ratings, I fully expect them to be higher than the AAF. Just because they are on bigger networks and accessibility is going to be way easier for fans. Than having to pack extra and download apps and whatever. The key to maintain the numbers is going to factor in how good on the on field product is. Will it be perfect? no but as long its better than the AAF, and from week to week see things progress in the right direction. That what you can hope for. Yes there will be ups and down but if we can see the down improve and what doesn't work get fix, that what going to make it work.

As long as by the end of year one fans response to it is on the levels of I saw a lot of things I like and I see potential to come back for more. Than you done your job in year one. Year two is making sure that you see a great deal of improvement in the game play, and that should be fairly easy to do with a full normal off season as long most of the teams players remain together and the coaching staffs are more knowing of the XFL rules and have that experience. Plus not having start from the ground up building the staff and ext but more time to focus on players and development as a team.

Attendance wise, they have to have a great marketing plan and really spend time in each market to promote the years because right now, not everyone is aware of the teams coming. They need to start making a splash and I expect that to start happening once the team names are announced and a logo is release to start posting them everywhere in the markets.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

They need to begin rolling out the hardware soon, such as names, logos, and uniforms to get the enthusiasm beginning to roll. If they know what a team's "stuff" is, it's time to announce it, even if not all at one time.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
XFLInSTL
Running Back

Post by XFLInSTL »

Firecop wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:02 pm They need to begin rolling out the hardware soon, such as names, logos, and uniforms to get the enthusiasm beginning to roll. If they know what a team's "stuff" is, it's time to announce it, even if not all at one time.
Enthusiasm is pretty damn high right now. I expect all the names to be out in the next two weeks though.
St. Louis Battlehawks
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

XFLInSTL wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:39 pm
Firecop wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:02 pm They need to begin rolling out the hardware soon, such as names, logos, and uniforms to get the enthusiasm beginning to roll. If they know what a team's "stuff" is, it's time to announce it, even if not all at one time.
Enthusiasm is pretty damn high right now. I expect all the names to be out in the next two weeks though.
I expect it to. I am most looking forward to team uniforms being sold and the team schedules but that may take some time too.