St Louis Summer Showcase

XFL Football discussion.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: St Louis Summer Showcase

Post by MikeMitchell »

GDAWG wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:10 pm As for Tommy Armstrong, I wonder if he got any NFL tryouts coming out of college? If he did, I wonder what position the NFL team that tried him out used him as?
Armstrong was a dual threat quarterback coming out of college. His issue was size, arm strength and completion percentage. Despite being a big playmaker at Nebraska. He only completed 53 percent of his passes. After college, Armstrong didn't receive a combine invite. He went undrafted. The NFL tried to get him to work out as a wide receiver. He got a tryout with Minnesota at Running Back. He then signed as a safety. A position, he played in High School. He was cut a month later. So the idea of him changing positions has always been there.

Armstrong has great athletic ability, so I can see why some leagues and teams would want to see him try out there. To me, he's a #3 QB, who I would use to return kicks. Similar to how Brad Smith, was used with The Jets. He was their wildcat QB, played WR and was a pro bowl caliber kick returner.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

XFL St Louis’s Twitter has confirmed over 140 players expected to be on hand for the Showcase this weekend, including RB Trent Richardson and QB Connor Cook.

https://twitter.com/xfl2020/status/1149355771043426304
@gregmparks
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

GregParks wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:33 pm XFL St Louis’s Twitter has confirmed over 140 players expected to be on hand for the Showcase this weekend, including RB Trent Richardson and QB Connor Cook.

https://twitter.com/xfl2020/status/1149355771043426304
I just mentioned Connor Cook as a possibility in this thread. Interesting that Trent is taking the workout invite. I figured that he would be on a short list of players that may sit it out but I give him credit for working out.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

He played such a large off the field role in the AAF that I'm sure there's a lot to be learned for both sides in a face to face.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Is Trent Richardson playing in these leagues so that he can get back to the NFL again to continue being a massive failure there?
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Tank55 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:06 pm He played such a large off the field role in the AAF that I'm sure there's a lot to be learned for both sides in a face to face.
To his credit. Richardson was effective as a short yardage runner for Birmingham. The yards per carry were abysmal, but when it came to carrying defenders into the end zone. He still brought that quality to the table. That trait might be useful in the XFL.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

https://twitter.com/BigWash54/status/10 ... 1543959552

The man responsible for perhaps the biggest highlight in the AAF. San Antonio Linebacker Shaan E. Washington has received an invite to Saturday's showcase in Missouri. He reached out to me, to let me know. I am tempted to post it on Twitter, along with the video above. I doubt that the XFL's twitter feed would post an AAF highlight.

Washington hit Bercovici so hard, that he's gone into coaching on Herman Edwards staff at Arizona State.
steinerfhc
Quarterback

Post by steinerfhc »

MikeMitchell wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:26 pm https://twitter.com/BigWash54/status/10 ... 1543959552

The man responsible for perhaps the biggest highlight in the AAF. San Antonio Linebacker Shaan E. Washington has received an invite to Saturday's showcase in Missouri. He reached out to me, to let me know. I am tempted to post it on Twitter, along with the video above. I doubt that the XFL's twitter feed would post an AAF highlight.

Washington hit Bercovici so hard, that he's gone into coaching on Herman Edwards staff at Arizona State.
Still a hightlight that gave him a lot of attention and likely XFL teams would want him for sure.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

MikeMitchell wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:17 pm
Tank55 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:06 pm He played such a large off the field role in the AAF that I'm sure there's a lot to be learned for both sides in a face to face.
To his credit. Richardson was effective as a short yardage runner for Birmingham. The yards per carry were abysmal, but when it came to carrying defenders into the end zone. He still brought that quality to the table. That trait might be useful in the XFL.
Trent had like twelve touchdowns in 8 games in the AAF and a few other scores on extra point conversions. He’s a player with name value. So I could see him getting a contract with the league.
XFLInSTL
Running Back

Post by XFLInSTL »

MikeMitchell wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:17 pm
Trent's YPC was awful, but he was probably still the fifth or sixth best AAF RB. That alone deserves a contract. He was also sneaky good as a receiving back, which is pretty impressive considering that Luis Perez was the one throwing the ball and he's not very good. Trent was also the AAF's leading scorer. He'll be in the XFL, he may get a starting spot even.
St. Louis Battlehawks