St Louis Summer Showcase

XFL Football discussion.
XFLInSTL
Running Back

Re: St Louis Summer Showcase

Post by XFLInSTL »

MikeMitchell wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:26 pm https://twitter.com/BigWash54/status/10 ... 1543959552

The man responsible for perhaps the biggest highlight in the AAF. San Antonio Linebacker Shaan E. Washington has received an invite to Saturday's showcase in Missouri. He reached out to me, to let me know. I am tempted to post it on Twitter, along with the video above. I doubt that the XFL's twitter feed would post an AAF highlight.

Washington hit Bercovici so hard, that he's gone into coaching on Herman Edwards staff at Arizona State.
That hit was crazy. And Washington continued to contribute throughout the season. He wasn't San Antonio's best defender by any means, but he'd be a solid guy to have in the XFL.
St. Louis Battlehawks
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

XFLInSTL wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:06 pm
MikeMitchell wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:17 pm
Tank55 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:06 pm He played such a large off the field role in the AAF that I'm sure there's a lot to be learned for both sides in a face to face.
To his credit. Richardson was effective as a short yardage runner for Birmingham. The yards per carry were abysmal, but when it came to carrying defenders into the end zone. He still brought that quality to the table. That trait might be useful in the XFL.
Trent's YPC was awful, but he was probably still the fifth or sixth best AAF RB. That alone deserves a contract. He was also sneaky good as a receiving back, which is pretty impressive considering that Luis Perez was the one throwing the ball and he's not very good. Trent was also the AAF's leading scorer. He'll be in the XFL, he may get a starting spot even.
If I was running a pro football team in the XFL. In a perfect world, Richardson would be my #2 back. I'd save his legs for the 4th quarter and in short yardage situations. He'd be my go to 1 point conversion back. You are right though that Trent did surprisingly well as a receiver out of the backfield in the AAF. Sometimes he looks like he is running in mud, but when he gets a full head of steam, he is hard to take down on first contact. I would need better productivity from the RB position before getting into the red zone but Richardson is an ideal #2 thumper. Kind of like a closer.
XFLInSTL
Running Back

Post by XFLInSTL »

MikeMitchell wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:15 pm
MikeMitchell wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:17 pm

To his credit. Richardson was effective as a short yardage runner for Birmingham. The yards per carry were abysmal, but when it came to carrying defenders into the end zone. He still brought that quality to the table. That trait might be useful in the XFL.
Trent's YPC was awful, but he was probably still the fifth or sixth best AAF RB. That alone deserves a contract. He was also sneaky good as a receiving back, which is pretty impressive considering that Luis Perez was the one throwing the ball and he's not very good. Trent was also the AAF's leading scorer. He'll be in the XFL, he may get a starting spot even.
If I was running a pro football team in the XFL. In a perfect world, Richardson would be my #2 back. I'd save his legs for the 4th quarter and in short yardage situations. He'd be my go to 1 point conversion back. You are right though that Trent did surprisingly well as a receiver out of the backfield in the AAF. Sometimes he looks like he is running in mud, but when he gets a full head of steam, he is hard to take down on first contact. I would need better productivity from the RB position before getting into the red zone but Richardson is an ideal #2 thumper. Kind of like a closer.
I agree. One thing I realized, especially after thinking about his time in the AAF, is that there aren't many guys who are legitimate XFL options that I would rather have in the OT shootouts. Trent was the closest thing to a guaranteed score inside the 5 that the AAF could offer, and I bet he could score on 3/5 attempts in XFL OT even if the defense knew what was coming.
St. Louis Battlehawks
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

XFLInSTL wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:35 pm
MikeMitchell wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:15 pm

I agree. One thing I realized, especially after thinking about his time in the AAF, is that there aren't many guys who are legitimate XFL options that I would rather have in the OT shootouts. Trent was the closest thing to a guaranteed score inside the 5 that the AAF could offer, and I bet he could score on 3/5 attempts in XFL OT even if the defense knew what was coming.
On the surface, I agree with this. Nothing has been finalized yet but it appears that the shootout concept will be taking place from the 5 yard line. There’s still the possibility of a run but harder to convert than say from the 2 yard line.

Overtime is rare to begin with. So it’s possible that we only get 1 or 2 during a whole season if we are lucky.

The AAF had only 1 overtime game in 8 weeks of play. 32 overall games. The original XFL had only 1 overtime game out of 43 total games played.

In the NFL, the percentage of overtime games is low but you still get a decent amount of them because it’s a 32 team league playing 16 game regular seasons. So the odds favor more OT games happening.

Where short yardage and conversion success will be of most importance in the XFL, is really during regulation. The ability to convert after touchdowns will be vital.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

https://twitter.com/XFL2kcom/status/115 ... 33120?s=20

St. Louis Summer Showcase Rosters posted by XFL2k and courtesy of Will Freeman.
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

Even though we know the NFL gets the top tier talent from the big conferences, which is why they don't need a minor league...... there is still plenty left in the cupboard. Those mid major and Div II programs produce great athletes that just don't shine on the national spotlight so much.
The XFL......as an alternative professional league can build quality teams and you're seeing it.
But shhhhhhh.......Pete Carroll already kind of builds his roster up with guys you never heard of from lesser known schools and promotes competition amongst his roster and gets results.......a Lombardi.

Go Clydes.
IMG_20190713_114731.jpg
IMG_20190713_114731.jpg (70.35 KiB) Viewed 1815 times