XFL to have tier-one quarterbacks allocated and not a part of the draft process?

XFL Football discussion.
User avatar
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent
Posts: 2133
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Re: XFL to have tier-one quarterbacks allocated and not a part of the draft process?

Post by MikeMitchell » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:13 pm

Dynamofan1 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:03 pm
XFL2K is reporting that they heard DIRECTLY from XFL that the recent story about tier 1 qb's being allocated ,MAY NOT BE CORRECT....

Now I am of the idea that XFL may be soft leaking things in order to see what Joe XFL fan thinks. I could be wrong. But for someone as detailed and methodical as Luck ,there sure are a lot of what ifs and may be' s floating out there. They obviously habe time to finalize the rules and team names /logos. And they have been diligent to keep that all under wraps. But for some reason they keep leaking out POSSIBLE RULES,POSSIBLE PLANS FOR PLAYER SELECTION. Seems to me under normal circumstances they would be just as diligent and just as protective with allocation info. Just saying..i think they want to see what people like us are saying.
I posted this in this thread on Sunday.
Just like the game rules. I got word this morning that nothing is set in stone, but it's clear that the idea of an 8 player QB "allocation" is in strong consideration.
Oliver Luck did mention allocation of tier-one players during an interview with the media, on the field Saturday in Seattle.

Jackson Felts posted this video on Youtube. You can hear Oliver in the 1 minute work, mention the allocation possibility. I can tell you that the league is going through several different possibilities when it comes to how they will structure their draft.

https://youtu.be/eD6sEW2WXSs

Shooter McGav1n
Receiver
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu May 23, 2019 12:45 am

Re: XFL to have tier-one quarterbacks allocated and not a part of the draft process?

Post by Shooter McGav1n » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:20 pm

After giving this some thought, I think the best way to handle tier 1 qb allocations would be:

XFL provides each team with a list of possible tier 1 candidates. Teams use the list to submit their top choices to the league office which then assigns the selected players to teams. In cases where a player is listed as the top choice of only 1 team, that team is awarded the rights to the player. In cases where there are multiple claims on a player as a top choice, the league would make the decision. They could take into consideration numerous factors, including regional ties, coaching ties, scouting grades of other players on the lists, etc.
once all 8 teams have been awarded a qb, the league then negotiates contracts with the players.

This would allow the teams to select their franchise players, and would also allow the league an opportunity to assign in demand players to optimum locations.

User avatar
Tank55
Head Coach
Posts: 1042
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:57 pm

Re: XFL to have tier-one quarterbacks allocated and not a part of the draft process?

Post by Tank55 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:09 pm

My vote is still free agency, but I'd be OK with a Pareto efficient matching system. I think I'd let the team and players submit their lists and then let the XFL take marketing into account only if there are two equal outcomes.
2020 East Division Champions

User avatar
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent
Posts: 2133
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Re: XFL to have tier-one quarterbacks allocated and not a part of the draft process?

Post by MikeMitchell » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:10 pm

Shooter McGav1n wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:20 pm
After giving this some thought, I think the best way to handle tier 1 qb allocations would be:

XFL provides each team with a list of possible tier 1 candidates. Teams use the list to submit their top choices to the league office which then assigns the selected players to teams. In cases where a player is listed as the top choice of only 1 team, that team is awarded the rights to the player. In cases where there are multiple claims on a player as a top choice, the league would make the decision. They could take into consideration numerous factors, including regional ties, coaching ties, scouting grades of other players on the lists, etc.
once all 8 teams have been awarded a qb, the league then negotiates contracts with the players.

This would allow the teams to select their franchise players, and would also allow the league an opportunity to assign in demand players to optimum locations.
That's not bad. It's an option for sure.

I am for an open free agency with the tier one players. It's a luxury that you are giving only to the tier-one players. Let the league and team reps get in a room. They unilaterally decide on the 8 tier one quarterbacks. The contracts are signed. The 8 teams then compete for the player services. Each team can only sign one. When the smoke clears, 8 QB's and teams have made their choices.

Now someone like Landry Jones may already have told the XFL brass, that I will sign with the league, only if I can determine where I play. It may be the only way to entice certain players right now in the NFL, to opt for the XFL.

If you want to be "fair". Let every team be allowed to negotiate with each player. There is a scenario in free agency, where Brandon Silvers might be all set to choose Tampa, but Norm Chow makes the hard sell and LA signs him instead. Consider it competition and recruiting.

Your first choice doesn't always work out in sports. The Los Angeles Xtreme took Scott Milanovich with their first pick in the original XFL draft. The guy backing him up, Tommy Maddox went on to become the league MVP. Johnny Manziel might end up in Houston, struggle and get benched for De'Vante Kincade, who leads Houston the rest of the way.

User avatar
Tank55
Head Coach
Posts: 1042
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:57 pm

Re: XFL to have tier-one quarterbacks allocated and not a part of the draft process?

Post by Tank55 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:19 pm

The XFL is literally betting that the extra salary they're paying for the Tier 1 guys will bring in people of a clearly higher caliber than the standard rate. Still, I'm quite sure that all eight Tier 1 guys won't be starters by the end of the season. Such is sports.
2020 East Division Champions

Shooter McGav1n
Receiver
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu May 23, 2019 12:45 am

Re: XFL to have tier-one quarterbacks allocated and not a part of the draft process?

Post by Shooter McGav1n » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:52 pm

MikeMitchell wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:10 pm
Shooter McGav1n wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:20 pm
After giving this some thought, I think the best way to handle tier 1 qb allocations would be:

XFL provides each team with a list of possible tier 1 candidates. Teams use the list to submit their top choices to the league office which then assigns the selected players to teams. In cases where a player is listed as the top choice of only 1 team, that team is awarded the rights to the player. In cases where there are multiple claims on a player as a top choice, the league would make the decision. They could take into consideration numerous factors, including regional ties, coaching ties, scouting grades of other players on the lists, etc.
once all 8 teams have been awarded a qb, the league then negotiates contracts with the players.

This would allow the teams to select their franchise players, and would also allow the league an opportunity to assign in demand players to optimum locations.
That's not bad. It's an option for sure.

I am for an open free agency with the tier one players. It's a luxury that you are giving only to the tier-one players. Let the league and team reps get in a room. They unilaterally decide on the 8 tier one quarterbacks. The contracts are signed. The 8 teams then compete for the player services. Each team can only sign one. When the smoke clears, 8 QB's and teams have made their choices.

Now someone like Landry Jones may already have told the XFL brass, that I will sign with the league, only if I can determine where I play. It may be the only way to entice certain players right now in the NFL, to opt for the XFL.

If you want to be "fair". Let every team be allowed to negotiate with each player. There is a scenario in free agency, where Brandon Silvers might be all set to choose Tampa, but Norm Chow makes the hard sell and LA signs him instead. Consider it competition and recruiting.

Your first choice doesn't always work out in sports. The Los Angeles Xtreme took Scott Milanovich with their first pick in the original XFL draft. The guy backing him up, Tommy Maddox went on to become the league MVP. Johnny Manziel might end up in Houston, struggle and get benched for De'Vante Kincade, who leads Houston the rest of the way.
The problem I have with deciding on and signing the 8 tier 1 quarterbacks before selecting teams is the last couple teams to select a player don’t really have any options. If, for example, the majority decides Joe Callahan should be a tier 1, but XFLDC doesn’t like him, he’s still gonna be one of the 8. DC could then lose out on the players they liked and be left with Callahan as the last player available, even though they felt he didn’t belong in the first place.

A combination of our ideas may be best. The teams and league office could work together to make a list of 15-20 possible candidates to negotiate with. Then allow the teams to negotiate with the players and select their franchise qb. This would allow even the last team to have multiple options before a player is signed, and would also allow the players with multiple offers to choose their team.

Dynamofan1

Re: XFL to have tier-one quarterbacks allocated and not a part of the draft process?

Post by Dynamofan1 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:19 am

How can XFL decide who is tier 1 until after all NFL teams have set their final 53 man rosters? I don't think we will know who has been deemed tier 1 until right before the XFL draft.
On the process itself, I can't see any way they don't at least ATTEMPT to match QB's with teams they have some kind of regional ties to. And I can't see any scenario where Johnny Football doesn't go to Dallas or Houston. And for this reason alone I think XFL will simply announce player A has been assigned to Team H. And then move on to the draft. Every QB that is tier 1 is going to be vital to the butts in seats aspect of this. And I know Vince doesn't want highlights with empty stadiums. So every QB who is tier 1 will be regional. That's my belief. Could be wrong tho.

User avatar
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent
Posts: 2133
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Re: XFL to have tier-one quarterbacks allocated and not a part of the draft process?

Post by MikeMitchell » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:52 am

Dynamofan1 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:19 am
How can XFL decide who is tier 1 until after all NFL teams have set their final 53 man rosters? I don't think we will know who has been deemed tier 1 until right before the XFL draft.
On the process itself, I can't see any way they don't at least ATTEMPT to match QB's with teams they have some kind of regional ties to. And I can't see any scenario where Johnny Football doesn't go to Dallas or Houston. And for this reason alone I think XFL will simply announce player A has been assigned to Team H. And then move on to the draft. Every QB that is tier 1 is going to be vital to the butts in seats aspect of this. And I know Vince doesn't want highlights with empty stadiums. So every QB who is tier 1 will be regional. That's my belief. Could be wrong tho.
You make a good point about the timeframe. You could before the draft, Sign 8 Quarterbacks to Tier-One deals. Then announce them as free agents to sign with whomever they choose. Then in the two weeks before the draft. The signings are announced individually. For example, Landry Jones has decided to sign with Dallas, then post it on social media, Shots of Landry signing the contract and shaking Bob and Moose's hands. Rinse and repeat with the other 7. Brandon Silvers has signed with St. Louis, Johnny Manziel has signed with Houston, Cardale Jones has signed with New York, Kevin Hogan has signed with DC, Paxton Lynch has signed with Tampa etc

There might be some interesting stuff going on behind closed doors. We are guessing that Stoops wants Landry and June Jones wants Manziel, provided that someone like Garrett Gilbert doesn't get cut. I actually think he is going to make The Browns, but who knows.

The question is, who do the other coaches want? Does Pep Hamilton want Kevin Hogan, the former Stanford QB. Does Norm Chow have a quarterback in mind for LA?. Does Marc Trestman have his designs on a Geno Smith or Paxton Lynch? Where does Brandon Silvers and Luis Perez end up? Which of the coaches want Cardale Jones? These are the types of names, that I am thinking about as possibilities. Maybe a Brock Osweiler or a Sam Bradford sneaks into the conversation.

From a business standpoint, the two everyone will ask about is Tim Tebow and Colin Kaepernick. If they came to the league and said, I'll play for your league but I want top salary and the chance to choose my destination. The league may budge. The XFL won't be able to meet Colin's demands, but Tim might be more flexible. Personally, I am ruling them out for 2020.

GDAWG
Coach
Posts: 957
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:15 pm

Re: XFL to have tier-one quarterbacks allocated and not a part of the draft process?

Post by GDAWG » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:19 am

MikeMitchell wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:52 am
Dynamofan1 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:19 am
How can XFL decide who is tier 1 until after all NFL teams have set their final 53 man rosters? I don't think we will know who has been deemed tier 1 until right before the XFL draft.
On the process itself, I can't see any way they don't at least ATTEMPT to match QB's with teams they have some kind of regional ties to. And I can't see any scenario where Johnny Football doesn't go to Dallas or Houston. And for this reason alone I think XFL will simply announce player A has been assigned to Team H. And then move on to the draft. Every QB that is tier 1 is going to be vital to the butts in seats aspect of this. And I know Vince doesn't want highlights with empty stadiums. So every QB who is tier 1 will be regional. That's my belief. Could be wrong tho.
You make a good point about the timeframe. You could before the draft, Sign 8 Quarterbacks to Tier-One deals. Then announce them as free agents to sign with whomever they choose. Then in the two weeks before the draft. The signings are announced individually. For example, Landry Jones has decided to sign with Dallas, then post it on social media, Shots of Landry signing the contract and shaking Bob and Moose's hands. Rinse and repeat with the other 7. Brandon Silvers has signed with St. Louis, Johnny Manziel has signed with Houston, Cardale Jones has signed with New York, Kevin Hogan has signed with DC, Paxton Lynch has signed with Tampa etc

There might be some interesting stuff going on behind closed doors. We are guessing that Stoops wants Landry and June Jones wants Manziel, provided that someone like Garrett Gilbert doesn't get cut. I actually think he is going to make The Browns, but who knows.

The question is, who do the other coaches want? Does Pep Hamilton want Kevin Hogan, the former Stanford QB. Does Norm Chow have a quarterback in mind for LA?. Does Marc Trestman have his designs on a Geno Smith or Paxton Lynch? Where does Brandon Silvers and Luis Perez end up? Which of the coaches want Cardale Jones? These are the types of names, that I am thinking about as possibilities. Maybe a Brock Osweiler or a Sam Bradford sneaks into the conversation.

From a business standpoint, the two everyone will ask about is Tim Tebow and Colin Kaepernick. If they came to the league and said, I'll play for your league but I want top salary and the chance to choose my destination. The league may budge. The XFL won't be able to meet Colin's demands, but Tim might be more flexible. Personally, I am ruling them out for 2020.
I don't think he plays anymore.

XFLInSTL
Running Back
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu May 16, 2019 3:17 pm

Re: XFL to have tier-one quarterbacks allocated and not a part of the draft process?

Post by XFLInSTL » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:41 am

MikeMitchell wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:52 am
Dynamofan1 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:19 am
How can XFL decide who is tier 1 until after all NFL teams have set their final 53 man rosters? I don't think we will know who has been deemed tier 1 until right before the XFL draft.
On the process itself, I can't see any way they don't at least ATTEMPT to match QB's with teams they have some kind of regional ties to. And I can't see any scenario where Johnny Football doesn't go to Dallas or Houston. And for this reason alone I think XFL will simply announce player A has been assigned to Team H. And then move on to the draft. Every QB that is tier 1 is going to be vital to the butts in seats aspect of this. And I know Vince doesn't want highlights with empty stadiums. So every QB who is tier 1 will be regional. That's my belief. Could be wrong tho.
You make a good point about the timeframe. You could before the draft, Sign 8 Quarterbacks to Tier-One deals. Then announce them as free agents to sign with whomever they choose. Then in the two weeks before the draft. The signings are announced individually. For example, Landry Jones has decided to sign with Dallas, then post it on social media, Shots of Landry signing the contract and shaking Bob and Moose's hands. Rinse and repeat with the other 7. Brandon Silvers has signed with St. Louis, Johnny Manziel has signed with Houston, Cardale Jones has signed with New York, Kevin Hogan has signed with DC, Paxton Lynch has signed with Tampa etc

There might be some interesting stuff going on behind closed doors. We are guessing that Stoops wants Landry and June Jones wants Manziel, provided that someone like Garrett Gilbert doesn't get cut. I actually think he is going to make The Browns, but who knows.

The question is, who do the other coaches want? Does Pep Hamilton want Kevin Hogan, the former Stanford QB. Does Norm Chow have a quarterback in mind for LA?. Does Marc Trestman have his designs on a Geno Smith or Paxton Lynch? Where does Brandon Silvers and Luis Perez end up? Which of the coaches want Cardale Jones? These are the types of names, that I am thinking about as possibilities. Maybe a Brock Osweiler or a Sam Bradford sneaks into the conversation.

From a business standpoint, the two everyone will ask about is Tim Tebow and Colin Kaepernick. If they came to the league and said, I'll play for your league but I want top salary and the chance to choose my destination. The league may budge. The XFL won't be able to meet Colin's demands, but Tim might be more flexible. Personally, I am ruling them out for 2020.
I really hope we get Silvers
St. Louis Battlehawks

Post Reply