XFL to have tier-one quarterbacks allocated and not a part of the draft process?

XFL Football discussion.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

XFL to have tier-one quarterbacks allocated and not a part of the draft process?

Post by MikeMitchell »

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/oth ... h-the-xfl/

Scott Hanson of The Seattle Times posted this article today after the Summer Showcase. It’s a very good article focusing on the players who worked out, but in the notes section of the article, is where the potential big news takes place. Here is the quote below. Link to the article is on top.
Luck said each team in the league will have a Tier-One quarterback that will be allocated, and not part of the draft process. He said the league will be playing close attention to the backup quarterback battles, including in Seattle where Geno Smith and Paxton Lynch will likely vie to back up Russell Wilson. The player who loses that battle could be a target of the XFL.
If this is true and holds up. This changes the draft quite a bit and has more questions than answers right now.

How would a Tier-One Quarterback be allocated? How would that be determined? Is this setting the stage for shipping certain quarterbacks to their desired markets. Like Landry Jones in Dallas or Manziel in Houston, or will there be a mini QB selection process of 8 players separate from the draft. Stay tuned.
Last edited by MikeMitchell on Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tank55
MVP

Re: XFL to have tier-one quarterbacks allocated and not a part of the draft process

Post by Tank55 »

Ought to be coach/system driven, although I understand the temptation to let marketing play a role.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: XFL to have tier-one quarterbacks allocated and not a part of the draft process

Post by MikeMitchell »

Tank55 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:31 pm Ought to be coach/system driven, although I understand the temptation to let marketing play a role.
I am really not down with it some sort of forced allocation based on marketing. Although, I get it from a business end. I need to see the details of how the allocation itself is determined. Is it some type of regional based allocation, or some type of separate selection process, where an order is determined for the 8 teams.

I am reaching out to the league for clarification. I also reached out to and received word from Scott Hanson of the Seattle Times, the writer of the article, to make sure that this story is valid. I had to go back and read it several times, to make sure, I wasn't missing something in the wording. Hanson mentioned to me, the allocation, as well as the possibility of the pay being more than just 250k. Which, we have already have discussed, and heard about in recent months.

Is the wiggle room allotted for players to be allocated, being created to help entice the league's potential 8 starting quarterbacks. The article mentions a specific camp battle in the NFL, between Geno Smith and Paxton Lynch in Seattle. The idea that if Seattle only carries two quarterbacks, that the odd man out would be targeted by the league.

Is this a way to entice those potential Tier-One players to sign on with the league?, because let's be real. I am sure that Landry Jones wants to play for Bob Stoops and Hal Mumme. I am sure that Johnny Manziel wants to play for June Jones in Houston. There are probably a few other name quarterbacks, like say a Tim Tebow for example, that would like to dictate where they go, if they decide to sign a contract with the league. I am not saying that Tebow is going to give up baseball, but this allocation business, is not only a way to insure getting the max contract in this league, but also a way to dictate where a player ends up. The devil will be in the details.

The league obviously sees their 8 Tier-One quarterbacks, as the biggest draw to their games. In Oliver Luck's mind, this league's success is going to be dictated by the level of play at the position.
Last edited by MikeMitchell on Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dynamofan1

Post by Dynamofan1 »

I will bet anything this is being done to match local talent with the teams at the most identifiable position on the squad. This means Johnny Football is coming home. And I'm glad for him . It's the safest place for him.
From the marketing perspective it's a no brainer imo. XFL has a 3 yr tv deal. THEY need to make an imprint fast. Remember they are competing ,at least for 12 weeks,with MLS and MLB. To me it's the only way to get fans stirred up before the first games. Have an allocation announcement and let the press depts. of each team milk the BIG NAME for each franchise. And do it the week before or of the XFL draft.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

If they're smart, they'll tell each coach they have an $X roster spot for a quarterback and let them recruit whoever they can. No draft, no allocation.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Dynamofan1 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:12 am I will bet anything this is being done to match local talent with the teams at the most identifiable position on the squad. This means Johnny Football is coming home. And I'm glad for him . It's the safest place for him.
From the marketing perspective it's a no brainer imo. XFL has a 3 yr tv deal. THEY need to make an imprint fast. Remember they are competing ,at least for 12 weeks,with MLS and MLB. To me it's the only way to get fans stirred up before the first games. Have an allocation announcement and let the press depts. of each team milk the BIG NAME for each franchise. And do it the week before or of the XFL draft.
That sounds like how it could be done. There's been mention in the past, back in December, of how the league wants it's players and quarterbacks, specifically to aid in promoting the team, and be ambassadors for their franchise. If Johnny Football is given this role, he better not no show fan related events, or show up hungover and belligerent. If he's given that role, he better be the model employee.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Tank55 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:19 am If they're smart, they'll tell each coach they have an $X roster spot for a quarterback and let them recruit whoever they can. No draft, no allocation.
That could be done. In theory, you have 8 Tier-One Quarterbacks, that the league has signed to the top tier salary. Each team can only sign one. So let them compete for the quarterback services. It won't be a money pitch, because they all make the same.

For arguments sake, let's pretend that the eight Tier-One quarterbacks are Landry Jones, Johnny Manziel, Kevin Hogan, Brock Osweiler, Cardale Jones, Paxton Lynch, Brandon Silvers and Mark Sanchez.

The first two will probably end up where we expect them to. Landry in Dallas with Stoops and Mumme, Manziel in Houston with June Jones. Trestman snags Lynch, who played high school football in Florida. Then it's a matter of personal preference. Sanchez will probably want to play in LA with Chow. Cardale Jones might opt for NY with Gilbride, since he's more of a pocket passer with a big arm, in the Warren Moon mold. Big Brock might go up to Seattle to play for Zorn and Riley. . Kevin Hogan rejoins Pep Hamilton, and goes back to DC, where he played in high school. Brandon Silvers ends up in STL.
Dynamofan1

Post by Dynamofan1 »

I hope it's regional. I would hate to see Johnny in LA. A time bomb waiting to explode. It's my hope that he stays on his meds for bipolar gets comfortable back home in Texas ,gets everything squared away in his marriage and spiritual life so that he LIVES! I truly believe he is that type where if not rehabilitated could become a tragedy. All of this is purely from the human aspect. For Johnny. But it also makes sense from a butts in seats stand point. Just think, if Tebow gives up baseball and went to play for Tampa Bay!!
Robert Griffin III gets with Dallas or maybe Colt McCoy. It just makes sense when trying to get your market share of the fan entertainment $. Some names will transcend the regional like Johnny. But most wont. Everyone who starts at QB in XFL is AT BEST a NFL 4TH or 5th stringer. With very few exceptions. So it makes sense to get a name the locals know and have affection for.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

MikeMitchell wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:36 am
Tank55 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:19 am If they're smart, they'll tell each coach they have an $X roster spot for a quarterback and let them recruit whoever they can. No draft, no allocation.
That could be done. In theory, you have 8 Tier-One Quarterbacks, that the league has signed to the top tier salary. Each team can only sign one. So let them compete for the quarterback services. It won't be a money pitch, because they all make the same.

For arguments sake, let's pretend that the eight Tier-One quarterbacks are Landry Jones, Johnny Manziel, Kevin Hogan, Brock Osweiler, Cardale Jones, Paxton Lynch, Brandon Silvers and Mark Sanchez.

The first two will probably end up where we expect them to. Landry in Dallas with Stoops and Mumme, Manziel in Houston with June Jones. Trestman snags Lynch, who played high school football in Florida. Then it's a matter of personal preference. Sanchez will probably want to play in LA with Chow. Cardale Jones might opt for NY with Gilbride, since he's more of a pocket passer with a big arm, in the Warren Moon mold. Big Brock might go up to Seattle to play for Zorn and Riley. . Kevin Hogan rejoins Pep Hamilton, and goes back to DC, where he played in high school. Brandon Silvers ends up in STL.
I don't think Mark Sanchez plays in the XFL. I think he trades his pads in for a suit because I think he's going to be one hell of an analyst fairly soon.
SamTheRam28
Quarterback

Post by SamTheRam28 »

I know everybody wants fairness and every team to have an opportunity to draft every QB, but this is the right move.

Johnny Manziel will be bigger in Houston than he will anywhere else in the league.

Landry Jones makes more sense in Dallas than anywhere else, and I'm sure one reason he is (probably) coming to the XFL is to play for Stoops.

We all want a fair and competitive league, but in order for the league to survive, they need to make as much money as possible and this is the best way to do it.
St. Louis BattleHawks