How hard will it be to come up with original and unique team names? Look at past names

XFL Football discussion.
Dynamofan1

How hard will it be to come up with original and unique team names? Look at past names

Post by Dynamofan1 »

Just a few minutes if surfing the web reveals just how difficult it will be to create unique team names.
The following names will be listed by league and year. This isn't even close to all of them. I got tired of scrolling.
UNITED FOOTBALL LEAGUE (1961-1964)
COLTS,BLAZERS,WARRIORS,BULLDOGS,RAIDERS,PROS,IRONMEN,TORNADOES,CAPITOLS,BULLS,STORMERS,ROCKETS,RIFLES,
EXPLORERS.

CONTINENTAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE (65-69)
VULCANS,HAWKS,DIAMONDS,DODGERS,ROCKETS,OWLS,BOMBERS,BRAVES,CHARTER OAKS,LOGGERS,JAYS,GOLDEN AZTECS,ARROWS,RUFNEKS,STEELERS,APOLLOS,TITANS, ACORNS,NEPTUNES,APACHES,TOROS,REBELS,INDIANS,PANTHERS,RAMBLERS,BEARS,MUSTANGS,THUNDERBIRDS,PLAINSMEN.
WORLD FOOTBALL LEAGUE (74-75)
.BLAZERS,HORNETS,STARS,BELL,SHARKS,SOUTHMEN,AMERICANS,FIRE,WHEELS,VULCANS,EXPRESS,SUN,WINGS,STEAMER,TEXANS,HAWAIIANS, THUNDER,WINDS,
USFL
INVADERS,STARS,BANDITS,RENEGADES,GAMBLERS,SHOWBOATS,BULLS,OUTLAWS, MAULERS,GUNSLINGERS.
UNITED FOOTBALL LEAGUE MODERN DAY
TUSKERS,COLONIALS,MOUNTAIN LIONS,LOCOMOTIVES,NIGHTHAWKS,DESTROYERS.
Very few names have not been used more than once.
Good luck XFL.
GDAWG
MVP

Re: How hard will it be to come up with original and unique team names? Look at past names

Post by GDAWG »

Dynamofan1 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:56 pm Just a few minutes if surfing the web reveals just how difficult it will be to create unique team names.
The following names will be listed by league and year. This isn't even close to all of them. I got tired of scrolling.
UNITED FOOTBALL LEAGUE (1961-1964)
COLTS,BLAZERS,WARRIORS,BULLDOGS,RAIDERS,PROS,IRONMEN,TORNADOES,CAPITOLS,BULLS,STORMERS,ROCKETS,RIFLES,
EXPLORERS.

CONTINENTAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE (65-69)
VULCANS,HAWKS,DIAMONDS,DODGERS,ROCKETS,OWLS,BOMBERS,BRAVES,CHARTER OAKS,LOGGERS,JAYS,GOLDEN AZTECS,ARROWS,RUFNEKS,STEELERS,APOLLOS,TITANS, ACORNS,NEPTUNES,APACHES,TOROS,REBELS,INDIANS,PANTHERS,RAMBLERS,BEARS,MUSTANGS,THUNDERBIRDS,PLAINSMEN.
WORLD FOOTBALL LEAGUE (74-75)
.BLAZERS,HORNETS,STARS,BELL,SHARKS,SOUTHMEN,AMERICANS,FIRE,WHEELS,VULCANS,EXPRESS,SUN,WINGS,STEAMER,TEXANS,HAWAIIANS, THUNDER,WINDS,
USFL
INVADERS,STARS,BANDITS,RENEGADES,GAMBLERS,SHOWBOATS,BULLS,OUTLAWS, MAULERS,GUNSLINGERS.
UNITED FOOTBALL LEAGUE MODERN DAY
TUSKERS,COLONIALS,MOUNTAIN LIONS,LOCOMOTIVES,NIGHTHAWKS,DESTROYERS.
Very few names have not been used more than once.
Good luck XFL.
A lot of those names, most of them in the 1960's UFL, CoFL and WFL cannot be used by the XFL because those names are used by other pro leagues.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: How hard will it be to come up with original and unique team names? Look at past names

Post by MikeMitchell »

Names from the past can always be used. It comes down to copyright law. The AAF had old football team names like The Express and Stallions. Both USFL and other league names.

The NFL has names from previous leagues like The Texans and Panthers. They even resurrected the old Titans name from the Jets and gave it to Tennessee.

So I wouldn’t rule out any names from other sports or from the past. There are so many leagues out there, that you will come across a a team somewhere that is named The Guardians or even the Dinosaurs.

The XFL already has almost all of their names picked out. If it’s not all 8, it’s close to it.

For the sake of argument. Could the league come up with sports names that have never been used. Sure they can. I bet we can too, if we tried hard enough.
Dynamofan1

Post by Dynamofan1 »

I'm sorry, how do you know the teams or most of them Have their names picked out? Did i miss an article?
Shooter McGav1n
Receiver

Post by Shooter McGav1n »

MikeMitchell wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:08 am Names from the past can always be used. It comes down to copyright law. The AAF had old football team names like The Express and Stallions. Both USFL and other league names.

The NFL has names from previous leagues like The Texans and Panthers. They even resurrected the old Titans name from the Jets and gave it to Tennessee.

So I wouldn’t rule out any names from other sports or from the past. There are so many leagues out there, that you will come across a a team somewhere that is named The Guardians or even the Dinosaurs.

The XFL already has almost all of their names picked out. If it’s not all 8, it’s close to it.

For the sake of argument. Could the league come up with sports names that have never been used. Sure they can. I bet we can too, if we tried hard enough.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calgary_Dinos
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

Who cares if they are recycled names as long as they are city/region appropriate.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Dynamofan1 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:43 am I'm sorry, how do you know the teams or most of them Have their names picked out? Did i miss an article?
Heather Karatz mentioned that the LA name has already been selected. You can check out her interview with the This is the XFL show.

Oliver Luck has mentioned on several occasions in interviews that the names in Tampa, Seattle, St. Louis, Houston and Dallas have already been selected. He’s even joked in interviews, that if he revealed the info, he’d have to kill the radio hosts.

I mentioned in my article that the league plans to reveal all the names at once. So there might be a couple of names that are close to being selected.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Shooter McGav1n wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:44 am
MikeMitchell wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:08 am Names from the past can always be used. It comes down to copyright law. The AAF had old football team names like The Express and Stallions. Both USFL and other league names.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calgary_Dinos
My point exactly.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Firecop wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:45 am Who cares if they are recycled names as long as they are city/region appropriate.
Exactly. In theory, I could throw out 8 random names and you will find some team somewhere with the same name. In any of the sports, on the major or minor league level, in high schools, in the states or even football leagues in Germany, Japan or all of Europe.

Just for fun. Here’s 8 unique names. I will throw them out there without doing any research. I will try and stay somewhat realistic and not call the team “The Dirtbags”.

New York Courage
St. Louis Pathfinders
Washington Warhorses
Tampa Bay Barracudas
Seattle Groundbreakers
Los Angeles Idols
Dallas Defenders
Houston Heartlanders

These names probably all exist somewhere.
Dynamofan1

Post by Dynamofan1 »

MikeMitchell wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:55 pm
Dynamofan1 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:43 am I'm sorry, how do you know the teams or most of them Have their names picked out? Did i miss an article?
Heather Karatz mentioned that the LA name has already been selected. You can check out her interview with the This is the XFL show.

Oliver Luck has mentioned on several occasions in interviews that the names in Tampa, Seattle, St. Louis, Houston and Dallas have already been selected. He’s even joked in interviews, that if he revealed the info, he’d have to kill the radio hosts.

I mentioned in my article that the league plans to reveal all the names at once. So there might be a couple of names that are close to being selected.
Thanx. Well I must have missed that info. Glad to know it's next month. I thought they said June. I've been looking for the announcement every day since June 1st. Lol. I did make a few observations about the above list of names.
1. Bandits is a cool name that I only see used by USFL Tampa Bay. I don't see it used for any other major league level sport.
2. The Mexico Golden Aztecs actually played in a US based pro football league.
3. There WAS a Portland Loggers
4. So many names from the old UFL/Co.F.L. have been copied.
5. Dodgers is a great name for a football team. (Dodge your defender)(when does one DODGE a baseball other than while batting?)
Jays,Dodgers,Braves all were football team names in the early to late 60's
6. Charter Oaks was actually used as a team name ? Wow!
7. Gamblers won't be used again but Ramblers was used and sounds pretty cool.
8. Finally my vote for WORST EVER team name. The Southern California Sun of the WFL. Anthony Davis from USC was their star player. What a CRAP name imo.