Kicks off tonight!

Thursday
7 ET: Riders @ Ti-Cats

Friday
9 ET: Alouettes @ Eskimos

Saturday
7 ET: RedBlacks @ Stamps
10 ET: Bombers @ Lions

Meanwhile, the league has issued a statement on its Command Centre, the great on paper, less great in action live replay booth. Emphasis (emphases?) theirs:
The Command Centre will focus on only overturning calls or non-calls made on the field where a clear and obvious mistake has been made. In other words, we do not want the game officiated from the Command Centre.
https://www.cfl.ca/2019/06/13/cfl-issue ... nd-centre/
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Tank55
MVP

Re: CFL 2019 Season

Post by Tank55 »

I caught part of Edmonton/Winnipeg last night. First: Lucky Whitehead is a monster. I assume he's on a two-year deal, but I hope Pep Hamilton files the name away for 2021.

More importantly: I hope the XFL seriously considers bringing back the 2001 punt rules. It drives me crazy when the ball drops, takes a weird hop, and the coverage team gets dinged for violating the halo. Make that a live ball again!

Alouettes and TiCats at 7:30 ET tonight.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:09 pm I caught part of Edmonton/Winnipeg last night. First: Lucky Whitehead is a monster. I assume he's on a two-year deal, but I hope Pep Hamilton files the name away for 2021.

More importantly: I hope the XFL seriously considers bringing back the 2001 punt rules. It drives me crazy when the ball drops, takes a weird hop, and the coverage team gets dinged for violating the halo. Make that a live ball again!

Alouettes and TiCats at 7:30 ET tonight.
Oskee wee wee... though with the Als now a ward of the league and on uncertain footing (Halifax bound?), this should be a fairly easy win for the Tabbies.
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

I liked the 2001 ball is live rule as well. I'm bored by watching punt after punt in the NFL just be allowed to drop and be downed.....make that ball live so a kicking team that needs to can have a chance at it.
But safety issues.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I think they'd fold the Alouettes and go back to 8 before they'd relocate to Halifax. The Schooners still need a stadium, and part of the allure there is getting to 10 teams, a balanced schedule, and stretching the league coast to coast. That's all lost if you don't have Montreal.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Happy Canada Day! Argos and Riders kicking off now.

MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

One thing I have learned after being a fan of the CFL for years, there are a ton of good players out there. The winning teams have the front office staffs that can find the best players, and especially players that can adapt to the Canadian game.
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

mnelson wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:30 pm One thing I have learned after being a fan of the CFL for years, there are a ton of good players out there. The winning teams have the front office staffs that can find the best players, and especially players that can adapt to the Canadian game.
Their task is not easy. Convincing American football players to come to Canada, and then getting them to adapt to a very different game. Nothing but respect for the front offices and the coaches who make it happen. People who don’t watch the CFL, think it’s just a bunch of Canadians playing. They don’t realize how many of the CFL’s best players are from America.

I love the CFL game. The bone of contention with some is 3 downs. Even though the consequence of it, creates more immediacy on every drive. If you don’t get a first down in your first two plays. Time to give the ball back. There’s no, let’s get a few yards on 2nd, to increase our chances on 3rd down of converting. You better convert on 2nd down.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I appreciate that it's different. Makes it fun in a way that the AAF, for example, was lacking. But yeah, two and outs are rough.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

Tank55 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:09 pm I appreciate that it's different. Makes it fun in a way that the AAF, for example, was lacking. But yeah, two and outs are rough.
The AAF lacked any innovation. Besides eliminating the kickoff, not allowing more than five rushers and using 2001 XFL camera angles.
I liked their onside conversion idea, but I am probably in the minority.