Updated XFL Team Staffs

XFL Football discussion.
GDAWG
MVP

Re: Updated XFL Team Staffs

Post by GDAWG »

Shooter McGav1n wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:52 pm
MikeMitchell wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:04 pm
Tank55 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:54 pm I don't know anything about Crocker, but Special Teams are going to be so different in the XFL than anywhere else that experience is probably less useful than usual. Seems like a great spot for a smart young coach, especially one that has been through a coaching fellowship and dabbled in refereeing.
This is a valid observation.

Some of the XFL teams have coaches taking on dual roles or working together on a position with another assistant. Like Grant Williams and Brian Braswell in St. Louis, working together on the offensive line.

New York seems to have a similar setup with Jeff McInerney coordinating the Special Teams with Ray Rylcheski assisting him.

In Washington. Former Tulane Head Coach Chris Scelfo will be coaching the o-line but Todd Washington, the former Apollos o-line Coach will be coaching the offensive tackles.

Not sure if Chris Crocker will get assistance in STL, coordinating the special teams, but it’s something I would have considered.
Speaking of Todd Washington, it appears as though he has taken another position.
https://twitter.com/twashington757/stat ... 30273?s=21
He's coaching with coach Creepy Eyes!
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

MikeMitchell wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:03 pm
MikeMitchell wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:04 pm

This is a valid observation.

Some of the XFL teams have coaches taking on dual roles or working together on a position with another assistant. Like Grant Williams and Brian Braswell in St. Louis, working together on the offensive line.

New York seems to have a similar setup with Jeff McInerney coordinating the Special Teams with Ray Rylcheski assisting him.

In Washington. Former Tulane Head Coach Chris Scelfo will be coaching the o-line but Todd Washington, the former Apollos o-line Coach will be coaching the offensive tackles.

Not sure if Chris Crocker will get assistance in STL, coordinating the special teams, but it’s something I would have considered.
Speaking of Todd Washington, it appears as though he has taken another position.
Congratulations to him. This is one thing that I mentioned in my “The challenges that await the XFL” article in late June.

The XFL has no clauses in their coaching contracts that prevent their coaches from leaving for other opportunities.

This will become crucial when hiring season takes place in late December/early January. The period right before the XFL season starts. While NFL and college staffs are being reformed. There will be coaches who could in theory leave the XFL for greener pastures. The same thing happened to the AAF.
The XFL is probably going to lose more assistants before their season starts in February. Todd Washington has a connection to the new Jets GM Joe Douglas when they were together with The Ravens.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

LeoNY wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:58 pm

Congratulations to him. This is one thing that I mentioned in my “The challenges that await the XFL” article in late June.

The XFL has no clauses in their coaching contracts that prevent their coaches from leaving for other opportunities.

This will become crucial when hiring season takes place in late December/early January. The period right before the XFL season starts. While NFL and college staffs are being reformed. There will be coaches who could in theory leave the XFL for greener pastures. The same thing happened to the AAF.
The XFL is probably going to lose more assistants before their season starts in February. Todd Washington has a connection to the new Jets GM Joe Douglas when they were together with The Ravens.
That’s one of the problem spots for the XFL heading into their season. It’s easier to fill staffs in the spring/summer once college and NFL teams are done filling theirs. The hard part will come in keeping staffs together, during the college and NFL coaching carousel in late December/January.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

MikeMitchell wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:10 pm

That’s one of the problem spots for the XFL heading into their season. It’s easier to fill staffs in the spring/summer once college and NFL teams are done filling theirs. The hard part will come in keeping staffs together, during the college and NFL coaching carousel in late December/January.
It may be difficult, but it would have been bad PR if the XFL blocked any of their coaches from pursuing NFL opportunities if one was offered to them.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

GDAWG wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:03 pm

It may be difficult, but it would have been bad PR if the XFL blocked any of their coaches from pursuing NFL opportunities if one was offered to them.
I understand that for sure. The players, once they are drafted in October, can’t leave for the NFL until after the XFL season ends. No such clause for the coaches. If the Cowboys want Bob Stoops and he wants them. Bob leaves for Dallas before the XFL season starts. This is what I wrote about in my challenges article.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

Team Nine is probably not going to be formed until right before the regular season but that would be a good place to have coaches at the ready if staffs lose assistants to college football and the nfl.
XFLInSTL
Running Back

Post by XFLInSTL »

LeoNY wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:40 pm Team Nine is probably not going to be formed until right before the regular season but that would be a good place to have coaches at the ready if staffs lose assistants to college football and the nfl.
Well there's no real reason to form Team 9 before the draft, since you don't know what your player pool will be.
St. Louis Battlehawks
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

XFLInSTL wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:29 pm
LeoNY wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:40 pm Team Nine is probably not going to be formed until right before the regular season but that would be a good place to have coaches at the ready if staffs lose assistants to college football and the nfl.
Well there's no real reason to form Team 9 before the draft, since you don't know what your player pool will be.
I know. It won’t be formed until the season in February. Point is that team nine can be more than just for replenishing players. It can also be for coaches if necessary.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

LeoNY wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:03 pm
XFLInSTL wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:29 pm
I know. It won’t be formed until the season in February. Point is that team nine can be more than just for replenishing players. It can also be for coaches if necessary.
That’s a good thought and a smart option for sure. I think the XFL is going to lose some coaches before the season. I just hope that it isn’t someone significant.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

MikeMitchell wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:09 am
GDAWG wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:03 pm

I understand that for sure. The players, once they are drafted in October, can’t leave for the NFL until after the XFL season ends. No such clause for the coaches. If the Cowboys want Bob Stoops and he wants them. Bob leaves for Dallas before the XFL season starts. This is what I wrote about in my challenges article.
Especially if Sean Payton says no to Dallas. From what I have heard, he's still the Cowboys top choice just in case Jason Garrett falters. They will probably "adhere" to the Rooney Rule by "interviewing" DB Coach Kris Richard (pronounced as Re'shard) and then proceed to hire Payton or Stoops. It's a make or break year for Jason Garrett.