XFL Football discussion.
GDAWG
MVP

Re: Updated XFL Coaching Staffs

Post by GDAWG »

MikeMitchell wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:40 pm
GDAWG wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:24 pm
MikeMitchell wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:16 pm

I am all for more football leagues that employ people. So more power to them.

The best bet would probably be doing something similar to what Ice Cube has done with the Big 3.

Since the league’s draw is star players from the past. Have a 7 on 7 league with names like TO, Ochocinco etc. They can play in the summer. Still keep their “for the people” mission statement and go from there. You could probably scale down costs with that model.
The FFL will play an 11-on-11 style of football.

The problem is that the biggest names in the FFL are Jeff Garcia, Ricky Williams, Byron Chamberlain, TO and Jeff Blake. The FFL does not draw any star players. They have names like Spencer Conley, Andre Kirwan, Darryl Ingram etc., many of whom were nobodies in the NFL. The FFL wants to make a splash? They want to compete with the XFL? Then get bigger names behind the league. Try to convince names like Randy Moss, Ray Lewis, Deion Sanders to get involved. One of the things that was interesting about the AAF at the start were the names involved: Bill Polian, Justin Tuck, Jared Allen, Hines Ward, Troy Polamalu. Tuck, Allen, Ward and Polamalu were stars in the NFL. None of the names involved in the FFL outside of TO were ever stars in the NFL.
Those AAF names ended up meaning nothing. It looked good on paper and helped foster the perception that they were NFL 2.0, but those guys brought very little to the table. Kind of like when Shaq was billed as an investor.

If TO is not playing. What value is he really bringing? If he’s coaching up receivers. That’s cool but Business decisions?... Not so sure that he’s suited for that. When have any of these players run teams or leagues on any level. If you are going with a real 11 on 11 league. You need real football people running things.
Something tells me that the FFL won't kick off at all, which was why Norm Chow defected to the XFL. They haven't even announced the team logos and colors (despite announcing team names), stadiums, coaches, broadcast deals or anything like that. I highly doubt they have the money either.
XtremeFanForever
Coach

Post by XtremeFanForever »

MikeMitchell wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:57 pm https://twitter.com/2020Hindsight3/stat ... 9319784449

Winston Moss has hired Norm Chow as his offensive coordinator. We don't have players yet but LA has the feel of a championship contender. Moss is killing this process. For a first time head coach/general manager. He's doing a fantastic job.

Going to be interesting to see how Chow adjusts to the XFL rules, but hard to not love this hire. Moss, being new to the HC role, needed someone he could trust to keep the offense on autopilot until he (Moss) got his feet wet. Getting more excited for this team by the day.
RIP Xtreme; forever champions

RIP Wildcats; forever 2-3
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

MikeMitchell wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:16 pm
GDAWG wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:05 pmThe issue is that they don't have any money. Where is the money guy going to come from? They make announcements on Facebook of former NFL players who were at best practice squad guys. Many of the big name former NFL players are still involved in the league as broadcasters. Last week they introduced someone named Andre Kirwan, who they claimed to have played in the NFL, but I have never heard of him. Just now they announced Victor Butler to run the Portland Progress, and I know who he is since he played for the Cowboys. The FFL has gone after fringe former NFL players rather than go after the numerous Hall of Famers who we see every Sunday in the fall who are either on the pre-shows or on the actual games.
I am all for more football leagues that employ people. So more power to them.

The best bet would probably be doing something similar to what Ice Cube has done with the Big 3.

Since the league’s draw is star players from the past. Have a 7 on 7 league with names like TO, Ochocinco etc. They can play in the summer. Still keep their “for the people” mission statement and go from there. You could probably scale down costs with that model.
The difference, of course, is that basketball is FAR less expensive to operate than football, and far less physically dangerous. Operating five-man rosters like BIG3 does is a lot more easily done than trying to stock even the 20-man rosters in arena football, much less a full 45-to-50-man roster of an outdoor league.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

XtremeFanForever wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:55 pm
MikeMitchell wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:57 pm https://twitter.com/2020Hindsight3/stat ... 9319784449

Winston Moss has hired Norm Chow as his offensive coordinator. We don't have players yet but LA has the feel of a championship contender. Moss is killing this process. For a first time head coach/general manager. He's doing a fantastic job.

Going to be interesting to see how Chow adjusts to the XFL rules, but hard to not love this hire. Moss, being new to the HC role, needed someone he could trust to keep the offense on autopilot until he (Moss) got his feet wet. Getting more excited for this team by the day.
I am going to be rooting for the league as a whole. Which is rare in sports leagues. As a Jets fan, I usually root against the Patriots, but for the greater good of football. I want the XFL to succeed.

I will be pulling for New York, because that’s where I was born and raised but some of these teams like LA and Dallas, make it hard for me to swear allegiance to NY. Personally, I am finding it hard not to root for Winston Moss and the staff he has. In the front office and coaching staff. He’s already in an underdog position because he’s never been a head coach. The guy is super charismatic and LA has a great team president.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

MikeMitchell wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:09 pm

I am going to be rooting for the league as a whole. Which is rare in sports leagues. As a Jets fan, I usually root against the Patriots, but for the greater good of football. I want the XFL to succeed.

I will be pulling for New York, because that’s where I was born and raised but some of these teams like LA and Dallas, make it hard for me to swear allegiance to NY. Personally, I am finding it hard not to root for Winston Moss and the staff he has. In the front office and coaching staff. He’s already in an underdog position because he’s never been a head coach. The guy is super charismatic and LA has a great team president.
That sucks that you have Mr. Creepy Eyes as the Jets head coach.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

GDAWG wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:16 pm
MikeMitchell wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:09 pm

That sucks that you have Mr. Creepy Eyes as the Jets head coach.
He's a walking meme for sure. He's a pretty bright coach, once you get past that. Obviously, he didn't have great success in Miami, and opinions differ on how good of a coach, he really is. I like the pairing of him and Joe Douglas though. The Jets do have some very good young talent on their roster, so we will see how that goes.

I think the coach, you can goof on the most in the XFL is Jim Zorn. He's kind of an eccentric. I listed to an interview, he had in Seattle this week, and he was all over the place. From talking about using slip and slides for quarterbacks to barely knowing certain aspects of the league, he is currently in. Zorn's a character.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

John McClain announced via his Twitter account that June Jones hired Ted Cottrell to be his new Defensive Coordinator for the XFL Houston franchise. Jones already named former NFL quarterback Chris Miller as his Offensive Coordinator.

Ted Cottrell has a long history as a Linebackers coach and Defensive Coordinator in the NFL. His last job was as linebackers coach for the Birmingham Iron of the Alliance of American Football (AAF).

Cottrell coached for the Buffalo Bills, Arizona Cardinals, New York Jets, and Minnesota Vikings. His last stop in the NFL was with the San Diego Chargers as Defensive coordinator from 2007 to 2008.

https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-teams/buffal ... l-houston/
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

GDAWG wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:40 pm John McClain announced via his Twitter account that June Jones hired Ted Cottrell to be his new Defensive Coordinator for the XFL Houston franchise. Jones already named former NFL quarterback Chris Miller as his Offensive Coordinator.

Ted Cottrell has a long history as a Linebackers coach and Defensive Coordinator in the NFL. His last job was as linebackers coach for the Birmingham Iron of the Alliance of American Football (AAF).

Cottrell coached for the Buffalo Bills, Arizona Cardinals, New York Jets, and Minnesota Vikings. His last stop in the NFL was with the San Diego Chargers as Defensive coordinator from 2007 to 2008.

https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-teams/buffal ... l-houston/
That's in the original post. It's been out there for a few days now. Teddy is similar to Norm Chow, in that his last few spots, he hasn't done a very good job. No denying the overall resume though. He certainly has plenty of experience. I had my fingers crossed that Mike Singletary would get the call. Be June Jones assistant head coach and DC.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Looking at Mike's list, it's surprising how many coaching spots still need to be filled (or publicly announced, anyway). As we're getting into the player evaluation portion of the league, you'd think each team would have its staffs filled by now. Again, maybe they are, but for whatever reason haven't been publicly announced.

I see Phil Savage may end up in the Jets front office in the NFL. He was a GM in the AAF. Before Oliver Luck was hired, he was the name I was thinking about for Commissioner of the XFL, as he had just left his position as Executive Director of the Senior Bowl. With his NFL ties being a former NFL GM, and his college football ties as head of the Senior Bowl, I thought he would've make a lot of sense in that position. Plus, he made a lot of improvements to the Senior Bowl during his time there, really reinvigorating it.
@gregmparks
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

GregParks wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:53 pm Looking at Mike's list, it's surprising how many coaching spots still need to be filled (or publicly announced, anyway). As we're getting into the player evaluation portion of the league, you'd think each team would have its staffs filled by now. Again, maybe they are, but for whatever reason haven't been publicly announced.

I see Phil Savage may end up in the Jets front office in the NFL. He was a GM in the AAF. Before Oliver Luck was hired, he was the name I was thinking about for Commissioner of the XFL, as he had just left his position as Executive Director of the Senior Bowl. With his NFL ties being a former NFL GM, and his college football ties as head of the Senior Bowl, I thought he would've make a lot of sense in that position. Plus, he made a lot of improvements to the Senior Bowl during his time there, really reinvigorating it.
Point #1- St. Louis is way behind. At least there’s ambiguity behind some of the other staffs. For example, Kevin Gilbride mentioned to Alan from the ‘This Is the XFL Show’ podcast, that he is most likely going to be his own offensive coordinator. Whenever any hires are officially announced. I will update the original post.

Point #2- I think that if Phil Savage wasn’t with the AAF. He would be in a role similar to Doug Whaley. Former GM with a scouting background with successful organizations. Savage with the Ravens, Whaley with The Steelers.

Not sure about Savage as the CEO/Commissioner of the XFL. Not to say that he wouldn’t be capable of it but Oliver is in a much higher class than Savage, when it comes to running leagues and being in a business administration type role. Very few have Luck’s resume and winning record.