Updated XFL Team Staffs

XFL Football discussion.
GDAWG
MVP

Re: Updated XFL Team Staffs

Post by GDAWG »

June Jones never recruited Tight Ends when he was at SMU and would often use 4 Wide Receiver sets, without a tight end and fullback. His one main issue at SMU was keeping a QB for more than one year, but despite that they won under him.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

XFLInSTL wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:12 pm
LeoNY wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:50 pm
MikeMitchell wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:55 pm Updated list of all 8 XFL Teams Front Office & Coaching Staffs.

There is still a few that have yet to be made official. There are some open roles, that may not necessarily be filled. Some staffs already have coaches taking on multiple roles.

Some staffs don't have a need for certain position coaches. For example, Houston is not going to be carrying any tight ends. So there won't be a need for a position coach there.
No tight ends? Typical June Jones. Starting 4 wide receivers every game probably.
I like it. Given Hayes' background, tight ends will probably be a strength for St. Louis. This makes it easier for us to get the best possible guy.
Good thinking.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

GDAWG wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:12 pm June Jones never recruited Tight Ends when he was at SMU and would often use 4 Wide Receiver sets, without a tight end and fullback. His one main issue at SMU was keeping a QB for more than one year, but despite that they won under him.
I am aware of that. This will date me but I used to choose the Detroit Lions in Tecmo Super Bowl all the time. Huge Barry Sanders fan but that was a Mouse Davis led offense with June Jones on his staff. No tight ends then either. Somehow I would sneak in Mel Gray into 4 wide receiver sets but that's a topic for another time. The Lions and Oilers were my go to teams in that game, and neither team carried a tight end. Ironically, Kevin Gilbride was running that Oilers offense at the time with the same run and shoot principles. Gilbride is more flexible. He will use tight ends to his advantage.

The funny thing is that there were several tight ends that worked out at The Houston Showcase. Other XFL reps from the other teams were there but tight ends like Larry Donnell, must have been confused why no Houston coaches were talking to him.
Shooter McGav1n
Receiver

Post by Shooter McGav1n »

MikeMitchell wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:55 pm Updated list of all 8 XFL Teams Front Office & Coaching Staffs.

There is still a few that have yet to be made official. There are some open roles, that may not necessarily be filled. Some staffs already have coaches taking on multiple roles.

Some staffs don't have a need for certain position coaches. For example, Houston is not going to be carrying any tight ends. So there won't be a need for a position coach there.
No tight ends? Typical June Jones. Starting 4 wide receivers every game probably.
I like it. Given Hayes' background, tight ends will probably be a strength for St. Louis. This makes it easier for us to get the best possible guy.
I could see that working, if you had 2 quality TE's playing. Extra blocking for the run game and a couple big targets for the QB to drop down to. It may not be great for a big play gun slinging type offense, but they'd be able to grind away and pick up yardage one chunk at a time.
Last edited by Shooter McGav1n on Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shooter McGav1n
Receiver

Post by Shooter McGav1n »

MikeMitchell wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:34 pm
GDAWG wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:12 pm June Jones never recruited Tight Ends when he was at SMU and would often use 4 Wide Receiver sets, without a tight end and fullback. His one main issue at SMU was keeping a QB for more than one year, but despite that they won under him.
I am aware of that. This will date me but I used to choose the Detroit Lions in Tecmo Super Bowl all the time. Huge Barry Sanders fan but that was a Mouse Davis led offense with June Jones on his staff. No tight ends then either. Somehow I would sneak in Mel Gray into 4 wide receiver sets but that's a topic for another time. The Lions and Oilers were my go to teams in that game, and neither team carried a tight end. Ironically, Kevin Gilbride was running that Oilers offense at the time with the same run and shoot principles. Gilbride is more flexible. He will use tight ends to his advantage.

The funny thing is that there were several tight ends that worked out at The Houston Showcase. Other XFL reps from the other teams were there but tight ends like Larry Donnell, must have been confused why no Houston coaches were talking to him.
That had to be one of the best games of all time. For running the ball, I went with Detroit(sanders), Raiders( Bo and Marcus Allen) and KC (Barry Word and Okoye). Houston was my team for passing also, Denver was good also.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Shooter McGav1n wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:06 pm
MikeMitchell wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:34 pm

That had to be one of the best games of all time. For running the ball, I went with Detroit(sanders), Raiders( Bo and Marcus Allen) and KC (Barry Word and Okoye). Houston was my team for passing also, Denver was good also.
Still a great game despite all the flickering and limitations. I would spend many nights as a kid, at my friends or cousins houses, trying to quietly play through seasons at 3 in the morning.
XFLInSTL
Running Back

Post by XFLInSTL »

Shooter McGav1n wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:57 pm

I could see that working, if you had 2 quality TE's playing. Extra blocking for the run game and a couple big targets for the QB to drop down to. It may not be great for a big play gun slinging type offense, but they'd be able to grind away and pick up yardage one chuck at a time.
I think there are a number of good tight ends that will be available, like Nick Truesdell (who played for the Stallions in the AAF) and Larry Donnell.
St. Louis Battlehawks
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

XFLInSTL wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:14 pm
Shooter McGav1n wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:57 pm

I could see that working, if you had 2 quality TE's playing. Extra blocking for the run game and a couple big targets for the QB to drop down to. It may not be great for a big play gun slinging type offense, but they'd be able to grind away and pick up yardage one chuck at a time.
I think there are a number of good tight ends that will be available, like Nick Truesdell (who played for the Stallions in the AAF) and Larry Donnell.
Some teams feature tight ends prominently in the red zone. Kevin Gilbride has said it on more than one occasion on how in the XFL, teams are going to need to be versatile and emphasize their “green zone” offenses. It’s a philosophy thing but there will need to be creativity, particularly when it comes to offensive plays inside the 10 yard line. With the importance of being able to convert 1, 2 and 3 point conversions.

The success rate of 2 point conversions in the NFL was at 51 percent in 2018. The average has been normally in that 46 to 48 percent range. The further out an offense is, the more difficult it is going to be convert. It eliminates the potential of a run play. So a good tight end who can out muscle defenders and win the jump ball in this area, is going to be worth his weight in gold. I would personally want to utilize a tight end because they are traditionally your strongest pass catchers in tight quarters.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

MikeMitchell wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:26 pm
XFL Washington

Head Coach/General Manager- Pep Hamilton
Team President- Erik Moses
Director of Player Personnel- Greg Gabriel
Equipment Manager- Cortez Robinson

Offensive Coordinator/RB's Coach- Tanner Engstrand
Defensive Coordinator- Jeffrey Fitzgerald
Special Teams Coordinator- Steven Wilson
Quarterbacks- Ted White
Offensive Line- Chris Scelfo
Receivers- Bob Saunders
Tight Ends/Tackles- Todd Washington
Offensive/Special Teams/GM Assistant- Brent Battle
Defensive Line - Ray Hamilton
Linebackers- Kurt Gouveia
Defensive Backs- Sigismondo Cioffi
Outside Linebackers- Napoleon Sykes Jr.
Strength & Conditioning- Vacant
Washington has had their coaching staff in place for awhile but they were kind of late with the front office. Every other team seems to have their top front office members in place. Outside of Brent Battle who is going to be wearing a few different hats. Officially, right now it’s pretty much just Greg Gabriel heading football ops and player personnel. It’s possible that the hires have already been made but nothing official on that end.
XFLInSTL
Running Back

Post by XFLInSTL »

LeoNY wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:13 pm
MikeMitchell wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:26 pm
XFL Washington

Head Coach/General Manager- Pep Hamilton
Team President- Erik Moses
Director of Player Personnel- Greg Gabriel
Equipment Manager- Cortez Robinson

Offensive Coordinator/RB's Coach- Tanner Engstrand
Defensive Coordinator- Jeffrey Fitzgerald
Special Teams Coordinator- Steven Wilson
Quarterbacks- Ted White
Offensive Line- Chris Scelfo
Receivers- Bob Saunders
Tight Ends/Tackles- Todd Washington
Offensive/Special Teams/GM Assistant- Brent Battle
Defensive Line - Ray Hamilton
Linebackers- Kurt Gouveia
Defensive Backs- Sigismondo Cioffi
Outside Linebackers- Napoleon Sykes Jr.
Strength & Conditioning- Vacant
Washington has had their coaching staff in place for awhile but they were kind of late with the front office. Every other team seems to have their top front office members in place. Outside of Brent Battle who is going to be wearing a few different hats. Officially, right now it’s pretty much just Greg Gabriel heading football ops and player personnel. It’s possible that the hires have already been made but nothing official on that end.
Overall that seems like a pretty weak coaching staff tbh. Scelfo sounds familiar but I don't know who most of those guys are.
St. Louis Battlehawks