Chris Miller to be named XFL Houston Offensive Coordinator

XFL Football discussion.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Chris Miller to be named XFL Houston Offensive Coordinator

Post by MikeMitchell »

https://twitter.com/MMXFLBoard/status/1 ... 0820132866

I posted this news over on Twitter.

Miller is reuniting with June Jones in Houston. The former Pro Bowl NFL QB, Chris Miller will be named OC/QB Coach. He was most recently a head coach at West Linn High School. His alma mater. He was the QB coach for The Arizona Cardinals from 2009 to 2012.

Everyone expects Houston's offense to be June's anyway but Miller is the ideal candidate to coordinate and scheme along with Jones. He knows the offense like the back of his hand.
Last edited by MikeMitchell on Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shooter McGav1n
Receiver

Re: Jim Miller to be named XFL Houston Offensive Coordinator

Post by Shooter McGav1n »

For the younger folks, Chris Miller was a top NFL qb for a few years in the early ‘90s, before concussions forced him to retire. He recently went back to college and got the credits he needed for a degree. This apparently had kept him from coaching in the college ranks. He did a terrific job in 6 seasons as West Linn HS head coach. He took over a team with a losing record and led them to a 52-12 record in 6 seasons, including a state title in 2016. As expected, his teams were known for having a high powered offense, they averaged 45 points a game last season. It will be interesting to see what Miller and Jones can do, now that they’ve been reunited.
Last edited by Shooter McGav1n on Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Shooter McGav1n wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:20 pm For the younger folks, Chris Miller was a top NFL qb for a few years in the early ‘90s, before concussions forced him to retire. He recently went back to college and got the credits he needed for a degree. This apparently had kept him from coaching in the college ranks. He did a terrific job in 6 seasons as West Linn HS head coach. He took over a team with a losing record and led them to a 52-12 record in 6 seasons, including a state title in 2016. As expected, his teams were known for having a high powered offense, they averaged 45 points a game last season. It will be interesting to see what Miller and Jones can do, now that they’ve been reunited.
Nice job Shooter Thanks for the catch. "Chris" is the perfect choice to be Jones 1A in that offense. Sometimes things fall into place perfectly. In the case of Miller and Jones, this is an ideal pairing in Houston.

I have been watching football for 38 years now. I really enjoyed watching June's offense with "Chris" Miller not Jim at the helm. The funny thing is that Jim was on The Falcons back in 97 for a cup of coffee. Jim had some good moments but Chris has had a much better career.

Chris Miller is in The Oregon Sports Hall of Fame. He's had two stints as a head football coach in high school. With South Eugene in 2001-2006 and then returning to South Eugene, to coach West Linn as you mentioned.
Last edited by MikeMitchell on Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Why does the headline say Jim Miller but the tweet say Chris? Two totally different QB's.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:31 pm Why does the headline say Jim Miller but the tweet say Chris? Two totally different QB's.
Got me. lol It's been corrected. I just spoke with Chris this morning. Funny.
Tank55
MVP

Re: Chris Miller to be named XFL Houston Offensive Coordinator

Post by Tank55 »

Always loved this card.

2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Shooter McGav1n
Receiver

Post by Shooter McGav1n »

MikeMitchell wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:26 pm
Shooter McGav1n wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:20 pm For the younger folks, Chris Miller was a top NFL qb for a few years in the early ‘90s, before concussions forced him to retire. He recently went back to college and got the credits he needed for a degree. This apparently had kept him from coaching in the college ranks. He did a terrific job in 6 seasons as West Linn HS head coach. He took over a team with a losing record and led them to a 52-12 record in 6 seasons, including a state title in 2016. As expected, his teams were known for having a high powered offense, they averaged 45 points a game last season. It will be interesting to see what Miller and Jones can do, now that they’ve been reunited.
Nice job Shooter Thanks for the catch. "Chris" is the perfect choice to be Jones 1A in that offense. Sometimes things fall into place perfectly. In the case of Miller and Jones, this is an ideal pairing in Houston.

I have been watching football for 38 years now. I really enjoyed watching June's offense with "Chris" Miller not Jim at the helm. The funny thing is that Jim was on The Falcons back in 97 for a cup of coffee. Jim had some good moments but Chris has had a much better career.

Chris Miller is in The Oregon Sports Hall of Fame. He's had two stints as a head football coach in high school. With South Eugene in 2001-2006 and then returning to South Eugene, to coach West Linn as you mentioned.
Sounds like you’ve got me by a couple years, I started watching around ‘84 -‘85. As a Steelers fan, it was a terrible time start following them. I vaguely remember Jim Miller, he was originally drafted by the Steelers, and got into a few games over the next couple years.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Shooter McGav1n wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:06 pm
MikeMitchell wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:26 pm

Sounds like you’ve got me by a couple years, I started watching around ‘84 -‘85. As a Steelers fan, it was a terrible time start following them. I vaguely remember Jim Miller, he was originally drafted by the Steelers, and got into a few games over the next couple years.
Yeah, Jim was the classic journeyman Quarterback. He had a little bit of a resurgence late in his career with The Bears. I think he’s a radio host now.

I started watching football back in 1981. I was only 5 years old at the time. I watched it with family and was instantly hooked. If not for my misguided choice of becoming a Jets fan. Atlanta would probably have been on a list of teams that I would have rooted for. Love the Falcons uniforms, logo and the personalities attached to that franchise. They were so unique and different from the other NFL franchises at the time. A lot of the other franchises seemed so plain to me.
jalgeri
Rookie

Post by jalgeri »

I really like the hire. Chris Miller knows the run and shoot from playing in it with June. I am slightly disappointed in that I was really hoping the OC would be John Jenkins. With him and June together that offense would never be stopped
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

jalgeri wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:32 pm I really like the hire. Chris Miller knows the run and shoot from playing in it with June. I am slightly disappointed in that I was really hoping the OC would be John Jenkins. With him and June together that offense would never be stopped
What a classic character, Jenkins was. The king of running up the score. That would have been cool.

I think Chris Miller is the perfect partner for June. Another head strong offensive mind like Jenkins may have clashed with Jones. Miller is ideal for Jones. Who better to call his plays, and coach the quarterback expected to execute those plays, than a guy who did it at a pro bowl level for him. Miller's the perfect 1A for Jones.