Forbes: XFL lost $60 million in '23, projects $100 million in revenue in '24

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Re: Forbes: XFL lost $60 million in '23, projects $100 million in revenue in '24

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:52 pm He also says that he thinks the XFL will surpass the MLS as the fifth major league sport by 2027. That won't happen if by that time, the MLS signs Messi's former PSG teammate Neymar. Signing Messi is a big deal for the MLS, bigger than if MLS had signed Cristiano Ronaldo. By that time as well, the MLS could also be quite appealing for another former PSG teammate of Messi's in Kylian Mbappe, although he'll only be 29 in 2027. I watch soccer on an international level, and all four men (Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar and Mbappe) are the four biggest names in the sport right now, although you could easily throw the Brit Harry Kane in the mix as well.

I can't see the XFL surpassing MLS as one of the big 5 in 2027. 2027 is a bit ambitious. I'd just go year by year right now.
GC is talking in Bravado. He has legitimate goals and he's setting the expectations in public. That takes balz, good for him. With MLS mostly behind a pay wall... good luck to them.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: Forbes: XFL lost $60 million in '23, projects $100 million in revenue in '24

Post by GregParks »

I think shooting for MLS-level by year five is ambitious and I doubt they get there, but it's something to shoot for anyway.

Another thing to keep in mind with this financial data is that included in the $60 million loss is so much of the start-up costs that are incurred just once. So theoretically - if they are doing it right - cost should be much less in year two and beyond because those costs aren't recurring.
@gregmparks
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:55 pm
GDAWG wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:52 pm He also says that he thinks the XFL will surpass the MLS as the fifth major league sport by 2027. That won't happen if by that time, the MLS signs Messi's former PSG teammate Neymar. Signing Messi is a big deal for the MLS, bigger than if MLS had signed Cristiano Ronaldo. By that time as well, the MLS could also be quite appealing for another former PSG teammate of Messi's in Kylian Mbappe, although he'll only be 29 in 2027. I watch soccer on an international level, and all four men (Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar and Mbappe) are the four biggest names in the sport right now, although you could easily throw the Brit Harry Kane in the mix as well.

I can't see the XFL surpassing MLS as one of the big 5 in 2027. 2027 is a bit ambitious. I'd just go year by year right now.
GC is talking in Bravado. He has legitimate goals and he's setting the expectations in public. That takes balz, good for him. With MLS mostly behind a pay wall... good luck to them.
Those who cover soccer say that Messi signing with the MLS will increase Apple+ subscriptions by a lot and consider his signing to be a game changer for the MLS.
Sykotyk
Quarterback

Post by Sykotyk »

The Apple deal is like NFL Sunday Ticket. It's not to watch your local team's local broadcasts or national broadcasts. Just if you want to, like NFL, watch every game from every market not shown nationally or yours locally.

Where the Apple deal will be huge is showing MLS to countries where MLS does haven't a national broadcast deal. Which is going to be many. Apple's deal is global, not just US or North America. I think it's safe to say that Apple was betting on this happening when they set up their deal.
CFLfan_inPhilly
Running Back

Post by CFLfan_inPhilly »

GregParks wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:06 pm
CFLfan_inPhilly wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:59 pm Quite frankly, I am shocked that these leagues keep popping up, considering all the money that they lose time after time.
It’s because the potential payoff is so lucrative - either hundreds of millions (potentially billions) of dollars in broadcast rights fees or the same in franchise fees. The problem has always been finding someone willing to sustain the kinds of losses it’ll take in the first several seasons

Well, this is my point. We flippantly talk like dumping hundreds of millions is a simple worthwhile gamble. But history has suggested otherwise. And that potential for "billions" would be just as likely if somebody took 200 Million and wagered it at a roulette wheel.

Granted, I appreciate their miguided naive faith and dedication.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Sykotyk wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:26 pm

The Apple deal is like NFL Sunday Ticket. It's not to watch your local team's local broadcasts or national broadcasts. Just if you want to, like NFL, watch every game from every market not shown nationally or yours locally.

Where the Apple deal will be huge is showing MLS to countries where MLS does haven't a national broadcast deal. Which is going to be many. Apple's deal is global, not just US or North America. I think it's safe to say that Apple was betting on this happening when they set up their deal.
The Apple TV deal has removed MLS off the radar, in the USA. The teams are based in the USA and play here. Good luck internationally. How many people signed up for the MLS Apple TV pkg? Excluding the TMobile give away.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:37 pm

The Apple TV deal has removed MLS off the radar, in the USA. The teams are based in the USA and play here. Good luck internationally. How many people signed up for the MLS Apple TV pkg? Excluding the TMobile give away.
The Messi signing will increase subscriptions....at least according to those who regularly cover soccer and MLS.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:56 pm

The Messi signing will increase subscriptions....at least according to those who regularly cover soccer and MLS.
For one player? We'll see.

Back on XFL/RBC - I like the GC talk. I like the cuts - it shows they are serious about making money. Hopefully they instilled some sense of urgency into the org.
Sykotyk
Quarterback

Post by Sykotyk »

4th&long wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:17 pm

Back on XFL/RBC - I like the GC talk. I like the cuts - it shows they are serious about making money. Hopefully they instilled some sense of urgency into the org.
If you only follow American sports, you won't understand. Imagine LeBron James decided to play in Europe next year. You don't think Americans wouldn't try to watch his games?

Let's put some things in perspective. Messi doesn't have a Twitter account. But, Christiano Ronaldo has 108.6M followers. LeBron James has only 52.7M followers. And most would probably argue Messi is a bigger name than Christiano Ronaldo.

Those outside the US are much more aware of following players in different countries. Messi is from Argentina, played for Barcelona and went to Paris before now coming to Miami. That's three different countries. Three different leagues.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Sykotyk wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:14 pm
4th&long wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:17 pm

If you only follow American sports, you won't understand. Imagine LeBron James decided to play in Europe next year. You don't think Americans wouldn't try to watch his games?

Let's put some things in perspective. Messi doesn't have a Twitter account. But, Christiano Ronaldo has 108.6M followers. LeBron James has only 52.7M followers. And most would probably argue Messi is a bigger name than Christiano Ronaldo.

Those outside the US are much more aware of following players in different countries. Messi is from Argentina, played for Barcelona and went to Paris before now coming to Miami. That's three different countries. Three different leagues.
I follow international soccer, and Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar and Mbappe are the Big 4. Surpassing the MLS is a bit of wishful thinking by the XFL and a longshot, especially if Neymar comes over by 2027, if the XFL is still around then.