Player 54 Podcast

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Re: Player 54 Podcast

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:42 pm
4th&long wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:21 pm
GregParks wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:59 pm Unaffiliated media having to go through the league or teams to interview members of that league or team is not specific to the XFL - it happens in every major league and/or with every team (wrestling fans may recall that MJF got in hot water with Tony Khan for doing a podcast interview that was not approved through AEW channels). This aspect of the story is a non-story.

I do wonder if, as team staffs continue to get built, they'll have their own PR people to contact for media relations specific to players/coaches on that team. In other words, if I wanted to get a press pass to attend an Orlando game, I would go through Orlando rather than the league itself. That's how it was in 2020. I'm not sure those team-specific departments are up and running yet, though.
Is this how XFL 2.0 handled it? Was Brock Huard interview on The_Markcast approved by the USFL? Or did Brock get the approval or not need it. Bottomline it will limit access as its intended to by design. That's their decision to control all aspects of the league.
I don't know how XFL 2.0 handled it. Maybe Mark can speak to that. Each team had a PR person (and of course the league did as well), so I'm assuming you had to go through them to get someone from the league to talk. I don't recall a lot of in-season interviews on podcasts or in written form in 2020, at least for XFL-centric sites. Brock Huard works for Fox, not USFL, so that's an odd example. I get that Fox owns the USFL but Huard doesn't work specifically for the league. I feel like Reid on the Markcast has mentioned in the past trying to get USFL guests on his show but the USFL PR people not getting back to him/kinda giving him the run-around.

It doesn't necessarily limit access, what it limits is podcast hosts going into players/coaches DMs and inviting them onto a podcast without going through proper channels. It doesn't mean the league won't allow players/coaches to take part in interviews like these, just that the hosts have to go through a process to ask and schedule them. And again, this happens with every major league sport.
But this isn't a major sport. Its a startup. The USFL got sh#t for not supporting access and fancast, small sites too and its a legit argument, the same applies IMO. Clearly they don't want "The_XFL-MARKCAST" like the XFL 2.0 had no issue with.

Do you think they will also look to have XFL branded websites change names for the same reason? Would make sense to me based on their actions.

It is what it is. They are spending a Ton of money, and want to control the PR. They seem to be way behind their original timeline, but the FB kickoff itself s/n/b impacted.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

GregParks wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:59 pm Unaffiliated media having to go through the league or teams to interview members of that league or team is not specific to the XFL - it happens in every major league and/or with every team (wrestling fans may recall that MJF got in hot water with Tony Khan for doing a podcast interview that was not approved through AEW channels). This aspect of the story is a non-story.

I do wonder if, as team staffs continue to get built, they'll have their own PR people to contact for media relations specific to players/coaches on that team. In other words, if I wanted to get a press pass to attend an Orlando game, I would go through Orlando rather than the league itself. That's how it was in 2020. I'm not sure those team-specific departments are up and running yet, though.
Is this how XFL 2.0 handled it? Was Brock Huard interview on The_Markcast approved by the USFL? Or did Brock get the approval or not need it. Bottomline it will limit access as its intended to by design. That's their decision to control all aspects of the league.
I don't know how XFL 2.0 handled it. Maybe Mark can speak to that. Each team had a PR person (and of course the league did as well), so I'm assuming you had to go through them to get someone from the league to talk. I don't recall a lot of in-season interviews on podcasts or in written form in 2020, at least for XFL-centric sites. Brock Huard works for Fox, not USFL, so that's an odd example. I get that Fox owns the USFL but Huard doesn't work specifically for the league. I feel like Reid on the Markcast has mentioned in the past trying to get USFL guests on his show but the USFL PR people not getting back to him/kinda giving him the run-around.

It doesn't necessarily limit access, what it limits is podcast hosts going into players/coaches DMs and inviting them onto a podcast without going through proper channels. It doesn't mean the league won't allow players/coaches to take part in interviews like these, just that the hosts have to go through a process to ask and schedule them. And again, this happens with every major league sport.
From what I’ve heard of the USFL likes you it’ll be easy to get league affiliated guests if they don’t they’ll make it difficult. Xfl going after podcasts and USFL picking and choosing aren’t things I like and both I think are mistakes and the fact neither seem to get it regarding how important fan podcasts and sites are is disappointing
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

4th&long wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:11 pm

But this isn't a major sport. Its a startup. The USFL got sh#t for not supporting access and fancast, small sites too and its a legit argument, the same applies IMO. Clearly they don't want "The_XFL-MARKCAST" like the XFL 2.0 had no issue with.
So ownership SHOULDN'T treat the league like any other major sports entity? Whether it's a start-up or not shouldn't matter. A start-up that wants to be seen as major league will treat itself as such, and this is what major leagues do. I've already said I'm not thrilled with the idea that the XFL is forcing podcasts to change their name - I do think it's a bad look for the league - but it remains to be seen whether or not they will support them with guests if asked. In fact, I was under the impression that the league approached these podcasts and said something to the effect of, "if you want us to work with you, you'll change the name." Now, could they be lying? Sure. But unlike some, I'm going to wait and see before I get my fainting couch.
Do you think they will also look to have XFL branded websites change names for the same reason? Would make sense to me based on their actions.
Again, I don't know. I'm under the assumption the podcasts names are specifically asked to be changed because the XFL wants its own podcasts and doesn't want confusion in the marketplace. That wouldn't affect websites in the same way (I don't think anyone is going to confuse the league's official site with any other XFL site). I would think if they wanted to go after the websites, they would've done that at the same time as they made the requests for the podcasts to change.

EDIT: I also want to make it clear we're talking about two very different issues here: First, asking podcasts to change their names (bad). Second, having podcasts/sites go through the league/PR for interviews (fine). In case my opinions on both haven't been made clear.
@gregmparks
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

For the most part, and especially once the season got close to kickoff, XFL 2020 staff asked that we go through them for access to employees and players. They were just getting good at responding to requests when things halted. Earlier, I had setup some interviews directly with some people that were cancelled when the league stepped in. Some were approved. It was hit and miss, largely depending on the team.
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

Loogan wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:16 pm I saw this, including a plea for support. I wonder what kind of blackmail the league is pulling here. A new low.

Loogan, nice to see you again. I think the podcast owner is doing what’s best for his future. Rebranding a podcast at this point in time is easy, and it’s best done now than once the season has started.

Seriously, it’s too bad all this BS is distracting right now, especially when we are getting closer to drafting players, training camps and kickoff… which is the real business of getting this league started.

Cheers to you, Mark
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

FootballYoda wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:29 pm What happens when the XFL trademarks player 54? Isn’t that one of their catch phrases.
I wondered this. Player 54 has been repeated many times throughout the showcases and in other press releases and announcements. They’ve been driving the point home. It’s not like the XFL is going to leave it alone now.