CFL 2023 schedule already out

Discuss the Canadian Football League here.
DavedaHammer
Quarterback

Re: CFL 2023 schedule already out

Post by DavedaHammer »

Tank55 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:05 am The July 3rd game is on CBS? I'm not following what parts of this stuff is confirmed, rumor, or just your speculation.

Very not sure that being talked about on CBSSN is better than not being talked on ESPN+, but if they get some games on the real network, that would definitely be something.
I'm just connecting the dots on this. But the CFL has a Monday, July 3rd game earmarked for the 2023 season. They even sang the US National Anthem before the Argo game last year, which is rare, since it's a Canadian league. Thus making it TV friendly for a potential US partner.

CBS is the only network left out of the USFL/XFL television distribution. The CFL fills a void for Summer programming for any US network for whoever they partner up with
DavedaHammer
Quarterback

Post by DavedaHammer »

laxtreme56 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:17 am CBS SN is not even ranked by Nielsen, so I wouldn't really consider that a win over ESPN 2/News. There are CFL commercials shown on the deuce, pretty well done actually. Could ESPN have promoted the CFL more, sure of course they can. However, Women's volleyball, college wrestling, and Corn Hole all get the same level of promotion from ESPN and still get 2-3x the rating of an average CFL game.
It will be ranked on Nielsen once the CFL gets that 10th team and expand into the US Markets. Those CFL commercials on ESPN are produced by TSN and not by ESPN, which is to lazy on their part to properly promote the CFL,

Football is and will always be King and trump those niche activities that ESPN promote over the CFL. ESPN messed up on their end by not promoting the CFL since they got the CFL right's for a half a song($200,000)The only time I would watch women's volleyball if they play topless.

BTW. I am the same DavedaHammer that was on CFL Forums. I got permanent banned for being too "combative", which is their excuse for cancelling me. But I will wear that excommunication as a badge of honor because I brought new ideas to the staid old site. It's their loss. I'm here and on Reddit now
DavedaHammer
Quarterback

Post by DavedaHammer »

MGB01 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:20 pm
Tank55 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:05 am The July 3rd game is on CBS? I'm not following what parts of this stuff is confirmed, rumor, or just your speculation.

Very not sure that being talked about on CBSSN is better than not being talked on ESPN+, but if they get some games on the real network, that would definitely be something.
CBS ran the SRX series the last two years on Saturday nights, which this year moves over to ESPN Thursdays. So that leaves a vacancy, but would "Saturday night CFL" be a thing for a few weeks?

I mean getting on US network TV, which hasn't been done in ages (IIRC CBS did have some conversations with them after they lost the NFL in the mid 90s) would be the one thing that sweetens the pot, but the majority of games would be CBSSN. After all, I don't really see CBS rushing to put the CFL on the weekend that NBC has the British Open (plus they'd have to move the game up to the afternoon anyway). Plus they have all three PGA tour playoff events this year so it's not like they have all these openings.
"CFL Saturday Nights" would work in the US during the Summer months. Stock Car Racing has more older demographics than Baseball. CFL Football on CBSSN would still bring more viewers over from ESPN's SRX Series on Thursday night because America loves Football.

The CFL is hoping to expand to ten teams(Halifax or Quebec City perhaps?). Once they get that tenth team for a balance schedule and dropping a bye week, it shortens the league schedule by one week. Then it looks to US markets for expansions, three, but no more than four US teams(Chi., Det. and Buff.) in Northern US states near the Canadian Border. US expansion brings in new fans and gambling money to CFL and CBS's gambling partners.

CBS can still market CFL games in Primetime Sunday night timeslots since Golf Tournaments finish up in late afternoons. In fact CBS could use those Majors as a lead in for CFL Football

A lot of options for CBS to utilize than what ESPN ignored
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

We'll see what happens. Some games on CBSSN in the summer, Paramount+ in the fall, and maybe a showcase game on CBS seems like reasonable vision.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion