Nathan Rourke to begin working out for NFL teams

Discuss the Canadian Football League here.
DavedaHammer
Quarterback

Re: Nathan Rourke to begin working out for NFL teams

Post by DavedaHammer »

If the Jaguars draft a QB, Rourke just gets pushed down the depth chart or gets released on whoever the QB the Jags draft.

I say Rourke heads back to the BC Lions to finish off his entry level deal and tries again with another NFL team if he gets cut by the Jaguars. It better for him to go back to the BC Lions because he gets meaningful game reps than chasing down a practice roster spot
KJE
Running Back

Post by KJE »

There is no sane reason for Rourke to go back to the CFL. If I remember correctly, part of his contact with the Jaguars is guaranteed, so I doubt he will be released.

I don't see Rourke coming back to the CFL until he exhausts every option in the NFL. He and his agent seem very smart about how they're doing things and I think he'll be in the NFL for a few years minimum.
DavedaHammer
Quarterback

Post by DavedaHammer »

KJE wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:33 am There is no sane reason for Rourke to go back to the CFL. If I remember correctly, part of his contact with the Jaguars is guaranteed, so I doubt he will be released.

I don't see Rourke coming back to the CFL until he exhausts every option in the NFL. He and his agent seem very smart about how they're doing things and I think he'll be in the NFL for a few years minimum.
Rourke is getting bad advice from his agent. What's a year in his career. Once the Jags draft another QB, he'll get cut. Rourke will end up embarrassing himself Brett Boyko is doing chasing the NFL "dream"
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

What's the risk? A CFL team won't want him back? Please.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
DavedaHammer
Quarterback

Post by DavedaHammer »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:26 pm What's the risk? A CFL team won't want him back? Please.
Rourke can only come back to the CFL with the BC Lions because he is STILL on his entry level contract, there is one year remaining. Rourke would have to fulfil that deal, but more likely the BC Lions tear up his ELC and sign him to a deal making him the highest paid QB in the CFL at $500,000. All bets are off if he gets injured during the Jaguars training camp and takes a injury settlement, thus delaying his return to the BC Lions.

If Rourke returns from sitting on a NFL practice roster for several years, he becomes a free agent. He might not get that highest paid quarterback deal as the QB landscape might change in a few years,

Rourke should've stayed in the CFL and he would've made more money in endorsement deals in Canada, He is a marketing dream. Rourke is young, good looking, articulate and Canadian. Jeez, at least companies won't have to hide neck tattoos like when Tim Horton's filmed Justin Bieber commercials
KJE
Running Back

Post by KJE »

I'm as big of a CFL fanboy as there is, but that is a ridiculous take. Rourke's best chance to make the NFL is now. He has put himself in a comfortable situation - he believes he's in an offence that complements his skill set and if he sees game action, such as in the pre-season, he has NFL tape ready to show other teams.

You talk about an injury to him. What about an injury to Lawrence? Should he win the backup job, he is one play away from playing. Who knows what happens then?

Nine teams will offer him a contract should he not make the NFL. For his sake, I hope he succeeds.
DavedaHammer
Quarterback

Post by DavedaHammer »

KJE wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:44 pm I'm as big of a CFL fanboy as there is, but that is a ridiculous take. Rourke's best chance to make the NFL is now. He has put himself in a comfortable situation - he believes he's in an offence that complements his skill set and if he sees game action, such as in the pre-season, he has NFL tape ready to show other teams.

You talk about an injury to him. What about an injury to Lawrence? Should he win the backup job, he is one play away from playing. Who knows what happens then?

Nine teams will offer him a contract should he not make the NFL. For his sake, I hope he succeeds.
It's not a ridiculous take. It's happened before to better QBs like Ricky Ray and Bo Levi Mitchell(one a CFL HoFer and the other on his way to the CFL HoF). The real question is, do the Jaguars believe in Rourke that compliments the Team's offense. The Jags already signed Bobby Beathard's relative shows that Rourke is a depth guy. If the Jags take a QB in the draft, he gets cuts because the team invested a draft pick on said QB draftee.

Rourke has time on his side. He's not Chad Kelly who pushing 30 and is considered old for the NFL.

Lawrence is a genetic freak, veins popping out of his muscles while Rourke looks like high schooler with baby fat. Lawrence is too smart and strong to put himself in harm's way. Lawrence is the man under the center. It's his team.

The other eight teams can't offer him a contract because Rourke is STILL on his entry level contract with the BC Lions, if he returns to the CFL after September training camp cut downs, he has to fulfil his contractual obligation to the BC Lions. But I think Amar Doman is a bright owner/businessman that he will offer him a contract kin to Zach Collaros and tear up the ELC deal to keep him with the team.

Sometimes the grass isn't greener on the other side when the grass is upon a septic bed. Rourke has a lot of obstacles in front of him to "succeed". It's going to be hard for him
KJE
Running Back

Post by KJE »

Because making the NFL is hard, might as well not even try. Gotcha.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

DavedaHammer wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:34 am It's happened before to better QBs like Ricky Ray and Bo Levi Mitchell
Exactly? Ray spent a season with the Jets and then went back to have a HOF career. What did he sacrifice for that 2004 season in the NFL?
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
DavedaHammer
Quarterback

Post by DavedaHammer »

KJE wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:29 am Because making the NFL is hard, might as well not even try. Gotcha.
It's difficult when the NFL coaches have biases against Canadian Football. It doesn't matter if you get it. it will be Rourke that will get the idea