CFL Expansion

Discuss the Canadian Football League here.
GDAWG
MVP

CFL Expansion

Post by GDAWG »

With their latest edition of Atlantic Canada on July 16th between Saskatchewan and Toronto, it's likely that prior to that game, the CFL will still say that plans for the Atlantic Schooners are still going to happen. If it does happen, the CFL will likely go to 10 teams. Now if they go 10, will they go even further to 12 perhaps? If they go to 12, would they go Quebec City or other Canadian cities like Saskatoon? Or do they give US expansion a second try? I can't see them going back to the United States. On Reddit an overly ambitious (and probably delusional) CFL fan named David Da Hammer believes that Chicago (yes, as in Chicago, Illinois) would be perfect for CFL Expansion, because he says that the Bears are leaving Soldier Field for Arlington Heights and that Chicago O'Hare is the perfect airport for CFL teams to fly in and out to. I have told him that there has been zero evidence that a non-NFL team will work in Chicago, but he says that Chicago has enough room for two pro football teams that play two different versions of football. I have told him that there's nothing to indicate that Soldier Field can fit a CFL field, and I am waiting back to see what he says on that.

So what do you guys think the future of the CFL is in regards to expansion? Will it be just Canadian or will they give expansion to US another try?
Tank55
MVP

Re: CFL Expansion

Post by Tank55 »

I always thought they should give Detroit/Windsor a shot. Of course, they need a stadium that fits a CFL field, so much easier said than done.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

I'm not too optimistic on Halifax/Atlantic Canada coming on board. Apparently the stadium deal is dead in the water and the potential ownership group has lost some key figures as well. The only reason this game is still being played is due to ticket sales pre-covid and the league not wanting to refund the money. I'm sure they'll tote it as a big success and say expansion is around the corner but I'll believe it when I see it.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

One way or another, they need to get to an even number of teams. Having 1/9th of your workforce idle every single work cycle is wildly inefficient.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
BattleHawks
Running Back

Post by BattleHawks »

... unless you pay them "per game" lol
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

I think they Have to go into the USA. Pick a town that's unlikely to have an NFL team in forseeable future, likely in center of America that lacks other major pro sports. Omaha, OKC, Tulsa, Grand Rapids.
Market and name them something that screams America... Colors Red, White and Blue. Nationals, Federals, Revolution, Freedom or even Americans.
Market them to USA as America's CFL team. Go for gambling and you may get some TV time during the dry 8 weeks early/mid-June to early August. Put some flex scheduling in place to avoid NHL/NBA playoffs in early June and other sports. Be flexible and imaginative.

Could they get an 8 week TV deal with that - likely, not much $ but they need to:

1) enter America's 330mm TV market
2) take advantage of the lull in football in USA in June-Early Aug
3) Seek out hardcore fb fans/gamblers in USA
4) Fill a dead gap in Sports in America on TV leveraging what they already are doing
5) Eliminate a weekly dead team non-game every week

Its risky and the rewards may not justify it but adding another team in Canada isn't the answer. It would make the league appeal much much more to me.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:19 pm I think they Have to go into the USA. Pick a town that's unlikely to have an NFL team in forseeable future, likely in center of America that lacks other major pro sports. Omaha, OKC, Tulsa, Grand Rapids.
Market and name them something that screams America... Colors Red, White and Blue. Nationals, Federals, Revolution, Freedom or even Americans.
Market them to USA as America's CFL team. Go for gambling and you may get some TV time during the dry 8 weeks early/mid-June to early August. Put some flex scheduling in place to avoid NHL/NBA playoffs in early June and other sports. Be flexible and imaginative.

Could they get an 8 week TV deal with that - likely, not much $ but they need to:

4) Fill a dead gap in Sports in America on TV leveraging what they already are doing

Its risky and the rewards may not justify it but adding another team in Canada isn't the answer. It would make the league appeal much much more to me.
That can be a problem, because there's nowhere to put a team in Oklahoma City. And no, I doubt the University of Oklahoma will allow professional football of any kind at their 86,000 capacity stadium, despite the fact that Norman (where OU is located) is a suburb.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:27 pm
4th&long wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:19 pm I think they Have to go into the USA. Pick a town that's unlikely to have an NFL team in forseeable future, likely in center of America that lacks other major pro sports. Omaha, OKC, Tulsa, Grand Rapids.

That can be a problem, because there's nowhere to put a team in Oklahoma City. And no, I doubt the University of Oklahoma will allow professional football of any kind at their 86,000 capacity stadium, despite the fact that Norman (where OU is located) is a suburb.
Point taken, but there are other cities, and Omaha may be the best. Nebraska isn't what it was and its more north.

But the city is less important than the points and approach.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:35 pm

Point taken, but there are other cities, and Omaha may be the best. Nebraska isn't what it was and its more north.

Omaha would be a good option, as that baseball stadium has hosted football before (UFL)
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:37 pm
4th&long wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:35 pm

Omaha would be a good option, as that baseball stadium has hosted football before (UFL)
i think FXFL even got in there? Another option - Memphis

But CFL needs to think Continental-ly; Canada is a small (pop) country of 38mm. And its saturated with teams, they need to retest USA and trying to create "America's CFL Team" may be worth a shot.