CFL Expansion

Discuss the Canadian Football League here.
Tank55
MVP

Re: CFL Expansion

Post by Tank55 »

Interesting. I'd prefer to see the best players possible, but to each their own.

Discrimination against Americans in favor of foreign nationals is still illegal in the United States, so they would have to adjust one way or another.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
DavedaHammer
Quarterback

Post by DavedaHammer »

KJE wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:12 pm If the CFL expands to the States, they would have to get rid of the Canadian ratio or have different rules for American teams like they did in the 90s (unless American laws have changed since then). I'm against both of those scenarios.
Reduce the ratio, but don't get rid of it, Reduce the Ratio will keep the competitive balance from having the US CFL teams gaining an edge. Still need a talent pipeline to the CFL even it's a domestic product
DavedaHammer
Quarterback

Post by DavedaHammer »

Tank55 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:39 pm Interesting. I'd prefer to see the best players possible, but to each their own.

Discrimination against Americans in favor of foreign nationals is still illegal in the United States, so they would have to adjust one way or another.
American coaches still discriminate against Canadian players within their own league, why do you think it took so long for a Nathan Rourke to show up since the glory days of Russ Jackson. It took Rick Campbell to utilize him

This next potential expansion of the CFL into the US, the new teams shouldn't use NFL dinosaurs with their preconceived notions and biases of CFL play and players, like the Pepper Rodgers and Forrest Greggs from the 90's. Don Matthews was American, but he coached in the CFL and knew of the CFL gams
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

it's going to be a long wait before the Bears move to Arlington Park, so it may be a while before CFL ever considers expansion to the Windy City (if they ever do):

https://frontofficesports.com/bears-fac ... w-stadium/
The Chicago Bears won’t need to start packing for Arlington Heights anytime soon.

Officials at the village outlined an approval process for the NFL team to break ground on a new $5 billion stadium, but the multi-step process could take months — more likely years — to complete, per The Daily Herald.

The Bears first have to close on their $197.2 million purchase of a 326-acre property from Churchill Downs Inc., then will need to submit plans and studies to the village hall, including:

Traffic, transportation, and parking plans
The economic feasibility of the project for the team
The economic impacts and benefits for the village and other local governments
The village, two consulting firms, government agencies, and cities will need to review the documents. Other hurdles include zoning issues and a potential amendment to a previous comprehensive plan.

The Bears have also publicized plans to formally ask the village and other government bodies to help finance portions of the stadium and district.

“I don’t think we’ll be in a position to have anything close to a final vote in 2023,” village manager Randy Recklaus said. “I think this is a multiyear effort, and that’s if they’re interested in moving relatively quickly.”

Soldier’s Sum
The Bears’ lease at Soldier Field extends through 2033, but if they break the lease in 2026, they’d have to pay Chicago $84 million with decreasing penalties thereafter.

Chicago has been looking at potential stadium investments to keep the Bears, including a roof for Soldier Field.
DavedaHammer
Quarterback

Post by DavedaHammer »

GDAWG wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:47 pm it's going to be a long wait before the Bears move to Arlington Park, so it may be a while before CFL ever considers expansion to the Windy City (if they ever do):

The Chicago Bears won’t need to start packing for Arlington Heights anytime soon.

Officials at the village outlined an approval process for the NFL team to break ground on a new $5 billion stadium, but the multi-step process could take months — more likely years — to complete, per The Daily Herald.

The Bears first have to close on their $197.2 million purchase of a 326-acre property from Churchill Downs Inc., then will need to submit plans and studies to the village hall, including:

The village, two consulting firms, government agencies, and cities will need to review the documents. Other hurdles include zoning issues and a potential amendment to a previous comprehensive plan.

The Bears have also publicized plans to formally ask the village and other government bodies to help finance portions of the stadium and district.

“I don’t think we’ll be in a position to have anything close to a final vote in 2023,” village manager Randy Recklaus said. “I think this is a multiyear effort, and that’s if they’re interested in moving relatively quickly.”

Soldier’s Sum
The Bears’ lease at Soldier Field extends through 2033, but if they break the lease in 2026, they’d have to pay Chicago $84 million with decreasing penalties thereafter.

Chicago has been looking at potential stadium investments to keep the Bears, including a roof for Soldier Field.
it's the lack of funds that the MacCaskey family doesn't have for a quick move. The MacCaskeys are cheap, they will exhaust the lease to the final day. And they are looking for Arlington Heights to foot the bill for external infrastructures.

The CFL could move to Seat Geek Stadium in Bridgeport instead. It has to move the stage that is located at the end of the stadium. A CFL team could easily fill the 20,000 seat venue.

I think the CFL expands once the XFL fails for a third time and Red Bird approaches the CFL for a merger. The XFL contracts to 4 teams(StL.,Sea.and relocate teams to Chic, and NY) and plays CFL rules and regulations. Like how the NHL absorbed the WHA teams in '79
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

DavedaHammer wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:50 am
GDAWG wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:47 pm it's going to be a long wait before the Bears move to Arlington Park, so it may be a while before CFL ever considers expansion to the Windy City (if they ever do):

Soldier’s Sum

it's the lack of funds that the MacCaskey family doesn't have for a quick move. The MacCaskeys are cheap, they will exhaust the lease to the final day. And they are looking for Arlington Heights to foot the bill for external infrastructures.

The CFL could move to Seat Geek Stadium in Bridgeport instead. It has to move the stage that is located at the end of the stadium. A CFL team could easily fill the 20,000 seat venue.

I think the CFL expands once the XFL fails for a third time and Red Bird approaches the CFL for a merger. The XFL contracts to 4 teams(StL.,Sea.and relocate teams to Chic, and NY) and plays CFL rules and regulations. Like how the NHL absorbed the WHA teams in '79
The CFL can't even fill a 20k seat stadium in Toronto, Montreal, or Ottawa regularly, but they're going to pack them in Chicago? Please give me whatever you're smoking. Redbird won't approach the CFL again, but I wouldn't be surprised if Toronto joins the XFL after they next TSN deal is smaller or equal to their current deal.
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

laxtreme56 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:44 pm The CFL can't even fill a 20k seat stadium in Toronto, Montreal, or Ottawa regularly, but they're going to pack them in Chicago? Please give me whatever you're smoking. Redbird won't approach the CFL again, but I wouldn't be surprised if Toronto joins the XFL after they next TSN deal is smaller or equal to their current deal.
CFL rules don't work in the USA. The CFL has tried this and it ended. We all know this and there is no changing it.

As for the CFL in Toronto, give it up. Toronto has always wanted an NFL team and the CFL is just too bush league for them. At least they are playing in a more realistically-sized stadium now. Same goes for Montreal.

Would Toronto do well for the XFL? Maybe? It is still not the NFL.
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
DavedaHammer
Quarterback

Post by DavedaHammer »

laxtreme56 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:44 pm

The CFL can't even fill a 20k seat stadium in Toronto, Montreal, or Ottawa regularly, but they're going to pack them in Chicago? Please give me whatever you're smoking. Redbird won't approach the CFL again, but I wouldn't be surprised if Toronto joins the XFL after they next TSN deal is smaller or equal to their current deal.
Neither can the XFL sell out in MetLife when the Guardians played there. The original XFL didn't sell out Soldier Field back in '01, There were a lot of empty seats in the middle of a Chicago winter at those Chicago Enforcer games. Probably won't sell out in tiny Cashman soccer stadium in Vegas

The CFL plays in the Summer which is more fan friendly for attendance than freezing in a NFL or February XFL game. They'd easily get 25,000 for a football game during a summer weekend

You don't know if Red Bird would approach the CFL for more "talks" when there were NDAs involved. Once the XFL fails(and it will, the USFL will be the Spring Football league winner). It was Red Bird that approached the CFL for "talks" and they will do so again. The CFL didn't go to them. Once Red Bird doesn't make their financial projections and continue to bleed money. They need to save face and unload it's losses either in Bankruptcy court again or re-enter into "talks" with the CFL in a weaker position then they were in two years ago.

Why would Toronto join the XFL? Where is a Toronto XFL team going to play in? The Blue Jays venue is exclusively for Baseball. If they play in BMO Field, they would have worst attendance than the Argos because everybody in Toronto are going to watch the Leafs or the Raptors instead of a twice failed football product.

TSN would have to pay more for TV rights once the CFL gets that 10th team and they will either by hook or by crook. TSN needs the CFL because they would not have any live sports during the summer. TSN is going to bury the XFL 3.0 behind it's streaming platform TSN+ and won't allow any XFL games on it's regular channels. Just like what ESPN did to the CFL
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

DavedaHammer wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:49 am
laxtreme56 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:44 pm

Neither can the XFL sell out in MetLife when the Guardians played there. The original XFL didn't sell out Soldier Field back in '01, There were a lot of empty seats in the middle of a Chicago winter at those Chicago Enforcer games. Probably won't sell out in tiny Cashman soccer stadium in Vegas

The CFL plays in the Summer which is more fan friendly for attendance than freezing in a NFL or February XFL game. They'd easily get 25,000 for a football game during a summer weekend

You don't know if Red Bird would approach the CFL for more "talks" when there were NDAs involved. Once the XFL fails(and it will, the USFL will be the Spring Football league winner). It was Red Bird that approached the CFL for "talks" and they will do so again. The CFL didn't go to them. Once Red Bird doesn't make their financial projections and continue to bleed money. They need to save face and unload it's losses either in Bankruptcy court again or re-enter into "talks" with the CFL in a weaker position then they were in two years ago.

Why would Toronto join the XFL? Where is a Toronto XFL team going to play in? The Blue Jays venue is exclusively for Baseball. If they play in BMO Field, they would have worst attendance than the Argos because everybody in Toronto are going to watch the Leafs or the Raptors instead of a twice failed football product.

TSN would have to pay more for TV rights once the CFL gets that 10th team and they will either by hook or by crook. TSN needs the CFL because they would not have any live sports during the summer. TSN is going to bury the XFL 3.0 behind it's streaming platform TSN+ and won't allow any XFL games on it's regular channels. Just like what ESPN did to the CFL
So now they'll easily get 25k a game, up from 20k. Meanwhile, there are only 2 CFL teams that actually draw that many fans right now. MLSE and Gary Stern have been fawning over The Rock, so they could have as easily led the discussions as opposed to the XFL. Let the CFL work on its own issues at home before trying to expand to the states. That's like getting a paint job on your car, when your transmission is shot.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

The argument is that MLSE thinks American football will sell better in an international city like Toronto than Canadian football. I'm totally not sold on that, but that's what the XFL can offer that the CFL cannot.

Honestly, the USFL seems like a better fit if MLSE is serious. Lets you play in the summer rather than the winter and have at least Detroit as a regional rival. Keeps you away from hockey season but also doesn't run into the NFL season.

I don't think anything is going to come from it, for the record.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion