CFL Expansion

Discuss the Canadian Football League here.
GDAWG
MVP

Re: CFL Expansion

Post by GDAWG »

DavedaHammer wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:56 am
GDAWG wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:31 pm
DavedaHammer wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:21 am
It's fine if both leagues co-exist, but the CFL should not be thinking that they will be competing with the NFL in any way for talent (and I do not mean practice squad guys) or for fans in America. Ideally, we should be allowed to root for a CFL team and an NFL team. It should not be "one or the other" in America because if that's the mindset, the CFL will not win. The best path forward is a co-existence in which fans in America can have a CFL team to root for but also be allowed to continue to cheer on their favorite NFL team.
I'm a fan of both the CFL and NFL, but I love the CFL a bit more because we played 3 downs in high school.

But if the CFL expands southward, I think the NFL will lay down a couple of obstacles like with court injunctions, pressure networks to not carry the league on it's feeds, expand to 18 games, early start of the NFL season, etc. But we see if that comes true
Subject to negotiations between the NFL and the NFLPA.
DavedaHammer
Quarterback

Post by DavedaHammer »

GDAWG wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:04 pm
GDAWG wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:31 pm

It's fine if both leagues co-exist, but the CFL should not be thinking that they will be competing with the NFL in any way for talent (and I do not mean practice squad guys) or for fans in America. Ideally, we should be allowed to root for a CFL team and an NFL team. It should not be "one or the other" in America because if that's the mindset, the CFL will not win. The best path forward is a co-existence in which fans in America can have a CFL team to root for but also be allowed to continue to cheer on their favorite NFL team.
I'm a fan of both the CFL and NFL, but I love the CFL a bit more because we played 3 downs in high school.

But if the CFL expands southward, I think the NFL will lay down a couple of obstacles like with court injunctions, pressure networks to not carry the league on it's feeds, expand to 18 games, early start of the NFL season, etc. But we see if that comes true
The Shield will get their way. The NFLPA is the weakest of all the sport unions. The NFL will bully it's way to get what they want. It's only a matter of time.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

DavedaHammer wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:51 pm

The Shield will get their way. The NFLPA is the weakest of all the sport unions. The NFL will bully it's way to get what they want. It's only a matter of time.
Still, the NFLPA will have to agree to 18 games and an early start to the NFL season. They had to agree to 17 games and an extra week of games. The NFL isn't going to get 18 games unless the Players Association agrees to it, no matter how weak they are.
DavedaHammer
Quarterback

Post by DavedaHammer »

GDAWG wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:14 am

Still, the NFLPA will have to agree to 18 games and an early start to the NFL season. They had to agree to 17 games and an extra week of games. The NFL isn't going to get 18 games unless the Players Association agrees to it, no matter how weak they are.
The negotiations are going be like this:

Roger and the NFL: "We want 20 games next year. Don't give me that BS about injuries, player fatigue. That is all".

De Maurice Smith: "Yes sir! Right away sir! C'mon guys let's do this, the Bosses have our best interest at heart".

NFL Players: "Duh, alright. We're in. What can possibly go wrong when the Bosses have out best interests at heart?"

Worst negotiation since 45
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

DavedaHammer wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:50 pm

Roger and the NFL: "We want 20 games next year. Don't give me that BS about injuries, player fatigue. That is all".

De Maurice Smith: "Yes sir! Right away sir! C'mon guys let's do this, the Bosses have our best interest at heart".

NFL Players: "Duh, alright. We're in. What can possibly go wrong when the Bosses have out best interests at heart?"

:roll: at how you are portraying Smith. This isn't the 19th Century. You should know better than that.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:11 pm
DavedaHammer wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:50 pm

:roll: at how you are portraying Smith. This isn't the 19th Century. You should know better than that.
Demaurice sux, horrible for NFLPA/players thats why Goodell and NFL wanted him reappointed.

Goodell is a CF walking flip flopper and hypocrite.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

4th&long wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:44 pm Demaurice sux, horrible for NFLPA/players thats why Goodell and NFL wanted him reappointed.

Goodell is a CF walking flip flopper and hypocrite.
Wouldn't that also apply to the guy who was anti the union vote in the USFL but is total simp here?
KJE
Running Back

Post by KJE »

If the CFL expands to the States, they would have to get rid of the Canadian ratio or have different rules for American teams like they did in the 90s (unless American laws have changed since then). I'm against both of those scenarios.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

You like the Canadian ratio?
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
KJE
Running Back

Post by KJE »

Of course. I love having opportunities for Canadians. It forces American coaches to develop Canadian players when they would otherwise find it easier to bring in Americans.