CFL Expansion

Discuss the Canadian Football League here.
adeehd
Kicker

Re: CFL Expansion

Post by adeehd »

DavedaHammer wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:53 pm
BattleHawks wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:46 pm This thread reminded me that they wanted to put a team in The Dome back in 95, until they realize the field was too long to fit! :lol:
The St Louis Sport Authority can fit a CFL sized field inside the Dome if they remove ten rows on each side of the end zone. It would also give the venue more room for conventions, motor cross events, etc. You might be able to fit a CFL field inside the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, NY because it hosts track and field meets there
Get the temp/permanent stadium done. I personally know the head of Finance & investment strategy for St Mary’s University (where the stadium would be) and all signs are looking good for this to be a real possibility to come together really fast. CFL & representatives from SMU met last week I do believe..
DavedaHammer
Quarterback

Post by DavedaHammer »

adeehd wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:03 am
DavedaHammer wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:53 pm
BattleHawks wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:46 pm This thread reminded me that they wanted to put a team in The Dome back in 95, until they realize the field was too long to fit! :lol:
The St Louis Sport Authority can fit a CFL sized field inside the Dome if they remove ten rows on each side of the end zone. It would also give the venue more room for conventions, motor cross events, etc. You might be able to fit a CFL field inside the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, NY because it hosts track and field meets there
Get the temp/permanent stadium done. I personally know the head of Finance & investment strategy for St Mary’s University (where the stadium would be) and all signs are looking good for this to be a real possibility to come together really fast. CFL & representatives from SMU met last week I do believe..
I agree. There is no doubt that a pop-up stadium at St. Mary's can be done. But do you know of the identity of a the new prospective owners that will but the Halifax franchise?
TedTanium
Rookie

Post by TedTanium »

Apologies to those who have heard this from me on other sites.

The CFL expansion goal probably isn’t going to happen. You can’t just plop a CFL team anywhere without years of marketing. The world loves 4 downs and 3 downs is very alien to the majority of people. If they want to expand they should do the following:

1. Expand marketing areas. For example BC could go into parts of Washington state, Oregon and Idaho. Six cities for each team should be visited a minimum of once every year. In BC’s case the first three are easy, Surrey, Burnaby and Vancouver. However, they should also visit Seattle, Portland and Spokane. They should also have a list of 30 cities they visit once every 5 years. That way they are visiting places once a month on average. Former players can be hired to represent teams during the season.

To get the 10th team, there should be a focus on the east. Stage 2 is having training camps in cities that have big enough stadiums for pre-season games. I would suggest Bethlehem, PA; Cumberland, MD; Parma, Portsmouth & Dayton, OH; Grand Rapids, MI; Joliet, IL; London, ON; & Quebec, City.

Stage 3 is having the pre-season games, determining if they can make enough money to host a regular season games and scrapping one per year that isn’t making enough money. You would also have celebrities hired to pump up the neutral site game on social media. On game day fans could get a meal at the stadium with the celebrity, autographs, pictures etc. Fans would be charged for that privilege to help pay for the celebrity appearance fee. At the “state of the league” during the Grey Cup Week, whichever city was scrapped that year would also have the celebrity publicly fired.

Once you get down to one city, you figure out if it’s viable. An owner should be waiting in the wings. Strong relationships with the stadium and city hall should be formed. If the city or potential owner is willing to fund the stadium then award a franchise. If not then start the process over.