CFL Expansion

Discuss the Canadian Football League here.
DavedaHammer
Quarterback

Re: CFL Expansion

Post by DavedaHammer »

DavedaHammer wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:28 pm
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:00 pm
DavedaHammer wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:54 am One needs to be proactive instead of overreacting to overcome a few speedbumps
Dave, those are more than "a few speedbumps;" those are fundamental flaws that make your plan impossible.

First of all, your rosy predictions of ticket sales are not borne out in reality. Particularly in Chicago, there were mandates to have teams in Chicago for just about every league up through XFL1.0. But it didn't matter the season, be it summer (the WFL), fall (the Cardinals, the Chicago Maroons college squad), spring (the Blitz) or winter (the Enforcers), Chicagoans stayed home every time, and they didn't watch their teams on TV.

Plus, you're pushing for a team in New York City when there are no stadiums capable of hosting the game anywhere in the city, and the billion dollar price tag that would likely come with any attempt to build one would likely never pay itself off, let alone get past the notorious NIMBYs that dominate NYC, including the Irish mob (Jimmy Dolan was able to kill the New York Jets' attempt to build a stadium in the city) and the Five Families.

Harvard? Do you really think they're going to share their field with a pro team during the season AND constantly shift it back and forth between CFL and NFL code? Winnipeg couldn't even safely switch from CFL to NFL for ONE GAME. It's a non-starter. Brian Woods tried Boston with the FXFL and had the league's worst attendance there. You'd run into the same issues with Fenway (too short for the CFL anyway) or Alumni Stadium at Boston College... and Nickerson is controlled by Boston University, which is literally trying to get football banned, so that's out of the question too. That also rules out Franklin Field in Philadelphia.

Plus, I don't really see how much Canadians would be too keen on having big city American teams show up in a league that their own government has used threat of legislation to protect.

The only place I could see it remotely feasible is Detroit. Real estate is cheaper in Michigan, it's close by to the Canadian border, and it doesn't have an MLS squad so less direct competition.
Chicago is a burgeoning Football market that the XFL, USFL are ignoring, while the Bears are abandoning the City for Arlington heights. It's ripe for the CFL to plant it's flag there for US expansion. Chicago worked in the NHL Original Six era. Going to Chicago gets the CFL a US TV deal despite playing against Canadian teams that American never heard of. Those defunct leagues that you listed all played 4 down football. The CFL offers an alternative brand with 3 down and Canadian rules that some US Football fans will enjoy. The Bears have sucked for so long, their fans deserved better.

You need to stop watching Mobster movies and find a contemporary analogy. Today's mobsters have lost their grip on city vices by competition from Asians, Russians and Bikers. Dolan controls Madison Square Garden, he'd have no say on whether the Jets can't play in the City of New York. Besides he didn't stop NYCFC from building their stadium as the soccer team have announced plans to build a new venue by 2027. The CFL needs that New York market along with Chicago to get that US TV deal. Wein Stadium at Columbia University will fit the bill for CFL expansion. The schools needs to upgrade their facilities, amenities to accommodate a pro team and increased attendance figures. The same goes for University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. It prided itself hosting the Eagles for decades before it moved to Veterans Stadium in the 70's, so why not a CFL team

Harvard already has it's stadium to fit a CFL field because it was one of the original sites to embrace CFL field regulations since it is build with concrete in the '20's. Brian Woods is a grifter. The dude still owes a huge hotel bill
in Indianapolis.

It's the NFL's fault in the Winnipeg exhibition game by not playing their game on a CFL field. The missed opportunity is on them. It would've been interesting to see a NFL game with 4 downs being played on a longer, wider CFL field.

Having a US/Canadian rivalry would generate huge interest in the CFL. Remember the '94 Grey Cup, BC Place was packed, Canadians rallied behind BC Lions against the bad 'Mericans(no pun intended, I love Americans).

Why would the Trudeau Gov't want to protect the CFL, when it wouldn't give the league a loan/grant to play after the Pandemic. The CFL could've played the 2020 season when Bob Young was going to front the money to the CFL, both a number of owners didn't want to be beholden to Young's thoughtfulness.

Detroit would be a money making market. It has a huge regional span reaching from London, Chatham, Sarnia to Toledo. It could easily fill the Eastern Michigan University stadium on a regular basis. Again, that school needs to upgrade it facilities, add more seating capacity. The USFL came close to renting out the venue until the NFL coaxed the Ford Family to lease Ford Field to the USFL/FOX network

If the CFL uses US College Stadium, the team could use the school colors to make the transition from college to pro and from pro to college easier
DavedaHammer
Quarterback

Post by DavedaHammer »

Randy Ambrosie was on the The Green Zone/CKOM radio show/podcast the other day said that the CFL is going to Halifax through the pop up stadium concept. He said that there is a prospective owner for the Halifax market. Then wanting to go to twelve teams like Quebec City, London, ON, Victoria. Randy said there would be no problem stocking CFL franchises with talent since there are over 940 football programs in the US

Twelve teams in the CFL would ideal for the league. Things are looking up for the CFL. It's a good thing that the "merger" with the XFL didn't go through. The failure of the XFL would've brought the CFL down to an embarrassing situation for the CFL
Lone Star
Running Back

Post by Lone Star »

DavedaHammer wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:04 pm Randy Ambrosie was on the The Green Zone/CKOM radio show/podcast the other day said that the CFL is going to Halifax through the pop up stadium concept. He said that there is a prospective owner for the Halifax market. Then wanting to go to twelve teams like Quebec City, London, ON, Victoria. Randy said there would be no problem stocking CFL franchises with talent since there are over 940 football programs in the US

Twelve teams in the CFL would ideal for the league. Things are looking up for the CFL. It's a good thing that the "merger" with the XFL didn't go through. The failure of the XFL would've brought the CFL down to an embarrassing situation for the CFL
I was just thinking about this strategy over the weekend. The CFL is fine putting on Touchdown Atlantic in a makeshift stadium once a year, who cares if you do it nine times? I think it could look something like Florida International University's stadium: https://fiusports.com/images/2018/8/28/_D619227.JPG

Yes to Quebec, before considering stadiums, I'd go to Windsor and capture the Detroit football fans. Maybe if the USFL dissolves, or merges with the XFL, the CFL could "purchase rights" to the Michigan Panthers name and say they are joining the CFL to become the Windsor Panthers, to woo those fans across the Detroit River. Windsor's also a little further west so they can be slightly closer to the West Division foes.

Not sure how the league could get to 14 or 16 without targeting northern US markets. Buffalo in their new stadium. Hartford... I keep saying it but I think Alaska would be cool if they could build a temporary stadium in Anchorage.
DavedaHammer
Quarterback

Post by DavedaHammer »

Lone Star wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:11 pm
DavedaHammer wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:04 pm Randy Ambrosie was on the The Green Zone/CKOM radio show/podcast the other day said that the CFL is going to Halifax through the pop up stadium concept. He said that there is a prospective owner for the Halifax market. Then wanting to go to twelve teams like Quebec City, London, ON, Victoria. Randy said there would be no problem stocking CFL franchises with talent since there are over 940 football programs in the US

I was just thinking about this strategy over the weekend. The CFL is fine putting on Touchdown Atlantic in a makeshift stadium once a year, who cares if you do it nine times? I think it could look something like Florida International University's stadium: https://fiusports.com/images/2018/8/28/_D619227.JPG

Yes to Quebec, before considering stadiums, I'd go to Windsor and capture the Detroit football fans. Maybe if the USFL dissolves, or merges with the XFL, the CFL could "purchase rights" to the Michigan Panthers name and say they are joining the CFL to become the Windsor Panthers, to woo those fans across the Detroit River. Windsor's also a little further west so they can be slightly closer to the West Division foes.

Not sure how the league could get to 14 or 16 without targeting northern US markets. Buffalo in their new stadium. Hartford... I keep saying it but I think Alaska would be cool if they could build a temporary stadium in Anchorage.
I agree Quebec City is an obvious choice.

I'd go to London ON instead of Windsor. It's still Detroit territory. London follows the Red Wings and Tigers than the Leafs and Blue Jays. Detroit fans can make the trek to London ON. Build a stadium on the western outskirts of London to accommodate the traveling Detroit fans and be out of the CFL territory radius of Hamilton and Toronto. London would have the Chatham and Sarnia region. Having a stadium on the edge of London can have tailgating instead of downtown London which has limited space for tailgating.

I'd make Barry Sanders VP of the London CFL team to attract Detroit fans. He'd have the same effect that Mike "Pinball" Clemons has on the Toronto Argos. Pro Football needs more Afro-Americans in upper management positions.

Once the CFL gets to twelve teams, then it can expand into the US. Mostly to northern border states. Never to US southern states again
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

DavedaHammer wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:57 am

I'd go to London ON instead of Windsor. It's still Detroit territory. London follows the Red Wings and Tigers than the Leafs and Blue Jays. Detroit fans can make the trek to London ON. Build a stadium on the western outskirts of London to accommodate the traveling Detroit fans and be out of the CFL territory radius of Hamilton and Toronto. London would have the Chatham and Sarnia region. Having a stadium on the edge of London can have tailgating instead of downtown London which has limited space for tailgating.

I'd make Barry Sanders VP of the London CFL team to attract Detroit fans. He'd have the same effect that Mike "Pinball" Clemons has on the Toronto Argos. Pro Football needs more Afro-Americans in upper management positions.

Once the CFL gets to twelve teams, then it can expand into the US. Mostly to northern border states. Never to US southern states again
Once the CFL gets to twelve teams, they need to stabilize the 12 teams before they consider expanding beyond that. If it takes 5-10 years after the 12th team is announced to do so, then so be it. Make sure all 12 teams are financially secure first. I think it would be a disaster if the CFL expands to 12 and then months later, decides to expand to 16. They need to wait until all 12 teams are stable for the long term.
DavedaHammer
Quarterback

Post by DavedaHammer »

GDAWG wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:24 pm

Once the CFL gets to twelve teams, they need to stabilize the 12 teams before they consider expanding beyond that. If it takes 5-10 years after the 12th team is announced to do so, then so be it. Make sure all 12 teams are financially secure first. I think it would be a disaster if the CFL expands to 12 and then months later, decides to expand to 16. They need to wait until all 12 teams are stable for the long term.
No, the CFL needs to divert itself from a gate driven league and more to a TV viewing product like what the USFL and XFL are attempting.

Expansion gives the CFL more TV content for a more lucrative TV deal, more sponsors, new fans and casual viewers and gambling opportunities with gambling partners

Expansion should be done in sets of two new franchises every two or three years. The CFL can't make the same mistake that the original USFL did by expanding too fast just for the expansion fees.

The CFL already had two billionaires buy into the CFL, Peladeau and Doman and a conglomerate in Stelco buying into the Hamilton Ti-Cats. The NFL has had billionaires purchase teams.

I haven't heard of one person wanting to buy either an XFL or USFL team at this point. Both spring leagues are looking for suckers, I mean investors tp buy into their leagues. Reason for that is both spring leagues aren't established very long and have had a past history of failure
Lone Star
Running Back

Post by Lone Star »

'd go to London ON instead of Windsor. It's still Detroit territory. London follows the Red Wings and Tigers than the Leafs and Blue Jays. Detroit fans can make the trek to London ON. Build a stadium on the western outskirts of London to accommodate the traveling Detroit fans and be out of the CFL territory radius of Hamilton and Toronto. London would have the Chatham and Sarnia region. Having a stadium on the edge of London can have tailgating instead of downtown London which has limited space for tailgating.

If we care about attendance, I'd still go Windsor over London. Now since there's a pro league in every sport imaginable, and more events than ever (bowl games, preseason college basketball tournaments, Big3, etc. etc.), convenience matters a lot more if you're trying to sell tickets. If you're relying on Detroiters (since neither Windsor nor London are really large cities or metros), I think you need to be as close as possible.
DavedaHammer
Quarterback

Post by DavedaHammer »

Lone Star wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:41 pm

'd go to London ON instead of Windsor. It's still Detroit territory. London follows the Red Wings and Tigers than the Leafs and Blue Jays. Detroit fans can make the trek to London ON. Build a stadium on the western outskirts of London to accommodate the traveling Detroit fans and be out of the CFL territory radius of Hamilton and Toronto. London would have the Chatham and Sarnia region. Having a stadium on the edge of London can have tailgating instead of downtown London which has limited space for tailgating.

If we care about attendance, I'd still go Windsor over London. Now since there's a pro league in every sport imaginable, and more events than ever (bowl games, preseason college basketball tournaments, Big3, etc. etc.), convenience matters a lot more if you're trying to sell tickets. If you're relying on Detroiters (since neither Windsor nor London are really large cities or metros), I think you need to be as close as possible.
Windsor is an economical depressed region. The Feds and the Province had to pour billions into Windsor's car industry to convert auto plants to make electric/hybrid cars.

London is a insurance/medical/University community, it has a bigger stadium already set up at Western Univ.(just add more temporary seats to boost attendance). London can draw people from the Sarnia, Chatham region and maybe the odd, long suffering Detroit football fan. It's a perfect location to draw people from SW Ontario.

Maybe ask Steve Aposltopoulos, the Canadian billionaire that lose out on the NFL Washington Commanders to invest in the CFL. Why buy a NFL franchise with a declining value due to the previous toxic owner control. It still would a lot be cheaper if he built his own stadium
BattleHawks
Running Back

Post by BattleHawks »

This thread reminded me that they wanted to put a team in The Dome back in 95, until they realize the field was too long to fit! :lol:
DavedaHammer
Quarterback

Post by DavedaHammer »

BattleHawks wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:46 pm This thread reminded me that they wanted to put a team in The Dome back in 95, until they realize the field was too long to fit! :lol:
The St Louis Sport Authority can fit a CFL sized field inside the Dome if they remove ten rows on each side of the end zone. It would also give the venue more room for conventions, motor cross events, etc. You might be able to fit a CFL field inside the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, NY because it hosts track and field meets there