Montreal ownership - Stern stepping down and more

Discuss the Canadian Football League here.
laxtreme56
Coach

Re: Montreal ownership - Stern stepping down and more

Post by laxtreme56 »

DavedaHammer wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:11 pm
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:44 pm
DavedaHammer wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:34 pm A sale of the Alouettes within six months and this crisis is averted.
Do you think after how long it took to get the Alouettes sold the last time, and now the owner they scrambled to find is dead and out of the picture, it's going to be sold again in six months?

I don't think there's any owner willing to take on this project. The only way I could see it is if RedBird swoops in and reopens the negotiations with the XFL, which is bound to make more than a few names uncomfortable.

Or Jim Speros saves the day again, lol
The XFL talks with the CFL is dead. They are now competitors for views and talent

TSN's Dave Naylor says Jeffery Lenkov is still interested in buying the Alouettes. The Als will be sold after the Grey Cup.

Is Speros still alive LOL!
He may be interested until he sees the spreadsheet and $5 million in yearly losses. Naylor said the Spiegel/Stern group was the only party that showed real interest when the Al's were for sale. Just like the XFL had 30 potential bidders but only one party, Redbird and Co. Actually would pay the price tag
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Why even be a billionaire if you're not willing to drop $5M a year to own a football team? Rich people today are so lame.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
DavedaHammer
Quarterback

Post by DavedaHammer »

laxtreme56 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:51 pm
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:44 pm Do you think after how long it took to get the Alouettes sold the last time, and now the owner they scrambled to find is dead and out of the picture, it's going to be sold again in six months?

I don't think there's any owner willing to take on this project. The only way I could see it is if RedBird swoops in and reopens the negotiations with the XFL, which is bound to make more than a few names uncomfortable.

The XFL talks with the CFL is dead. They are now competitors for views and talent

TSN's Dave Naylor says Jeffery Lenkov is still interested in buying the Alouettes. The Als will be sold after the Grey Cup.

He may be interested until he sees the spreadsheet and $5 million in yearly losses. Naylor said the Spiegel/Stern group was the only party that showed real interest when the Al's were for sale. Just like the XFL had 30 potential bidders but only one party, Redbird and Co. Actually would pay the price tag
That 5 Million dollar estimate was brought up by a Montreal scribe who isn't privy to the Alouettes accounting book. Lenkov will buy in once he sees that the Bombers made 2.1 million dollars in a shorten CFL season due to the Pandemic and the Grey Cup injected 30 million dollars in the Southern Ontario region, while the CFL owner gets to keep the revenue from the game and events which is in the multiple of millions

Naylor forgot that the Eric Lapointe consortium also expressed interest. Randy didn't want multiple co-owners like the Edmonton Oilers had in the early 2000's until Kats bought out the rest of the multiple co-owners. Randy didn't want infighting among owners that aren't happy in team operations
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:44 pm
DavedaHammer wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:34 pm A sale of the Alouettes within six months and this crisis is averted.
Do you think after how long it took to get the Alouettes sold the last time, and now the owner they scrambled to find is dead and out of the picture, it's going to be sold again in six months?

Speros is indeed alive, and he's only 63, believe it or not.

He almost bought into the UFL but the way Bill Hambrecht had the league structured, Speros didn't like it, so he bailed—and I don't blame him. He's a savvy businessman and a solid owner. Any league that could land him would be getting a reputable man.