Does the league actually want fans in Philadelphia??

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
CFLfan_inPhilly
Running Back

Does the league actually want fans in Philadelphia??

Post by CFLfan_inPhilly »

Sometimes it looks like the league is trying to sabotage whatever fanbase it has in Philadelphia.

Never mind that there's essentially zero marketing on the local level....

What really bothers me is that almost every Stars game seems to be scheduled at exactly the same time as a Phillies game.

If the Stars play late on Friday night, so do the Phillies. If they are playing Saturday mid-afternoon, then so are the Phillies. If they play Sunday night, somehow the Phillies do too.

Do we know what their local tv ratings are? They could probably be tripled if they just weren't always directly competing with the Phillies for eyeballs.
:roll:
GDAWG
MVP

Re: Does the league actually want fans in Philadelphia??

Post by GDAWG »

the Stars would have to actually be in Philly to actually have fans on Philly.
CFLfan_inPhilly
Running Back

GDAWG wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:03 pm the Stars would have to actually be in Philly to actually have fans on Philly.
Seriously. Might as well utilize Franklin Field for something once in a while.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

CFLfan_inPhilly wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:11 pm
GDAWG wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:03 pm the Stars would have to actually be in Philly to actually have fans on Philly.
The MLS Stadium is probably better for them attendance wise.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:22 pm

The MLS stadium is also just across the Delaware river from South NJ and easier for N-NJ to get to.

CFLfan_inPhilly wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:07 am Sometimes it looks like the league is trying to sabotage whatever fanbase it has in Philadelphia.

What really bothers me is that almost every Stars game seems to be scheduled at exactly the same time as a Phillies game.

If the Stars play late on Friday night, so do the Phillies. If they are playing Saturday mid-afternoon, then so are the Phillies. If they play Sunday night, somehow the Phillies do too.

Do we know what their local tv ratings are? They could probably be tripled if they just weren't always directly competing with the Phillies for eyeballs.

That's the bad of a Fixed schedule. But there is a 1hr + non-overlap. Also the way the Phillies are playing just watch the Stars or channel flip the last 2 hours.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

The MLS stadium is also just across the Delaware river from South NJ and easier for N-NJ to get to.

CFLfan_inPhilly wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:07 am Sometimes it looks like the league is trying to sabotage whatever fanbase it has in Philadelphia.

That's the bad of a Fixed schedule. But there is a 1hr + non-overlap. Also the way the Phillies are playing just watch the Stars or channel flip the last 2 hours.

Also, I've said they really needed to be in Philly or N-NJ this year to get those fan more engaged with local media - Philly has a local NBCSC channel that could do some promos and local coverage too.

NY/N-NJ is the mega market but Philly is 2nd biggest and then Houston. Those 3 should have some local games - at least Philly (close enough to N-NJ) and Houston. Thats about increasing TV viewership
CFLfan_inPhilly
Running Back

4th&long wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:45 pmThat's the bad of a Fixed schedule. But there is a 1hr + non-overlap. Also the way the Phillies are playing just watch the Stars or channel flip the last 2 hours.
Oh, I'm not talking about me.

I'm talking about millions of casual sports viewers, including everybody watching televisions in hundreds of local sports bars. There is no chance that a Stars game will be on instead of a Phillies game. So, once again, there is no chance for any new exposure beyond us spring football nerds.
CFLfan_inPhilly
Running Back

This is the usual go-to stadium idea... but Franklin Field is literally within walking distance of thousands of people, plus it's also easily accessible by cheap public transportation. And there are bars and restaurants nearby.

It's always an uphill battle getting people to spring league games anyway, so why focus on convincing suburbanites to drive when you can instead focus in people who literally reside blocks away.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

CFLfan_inPhilly wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:24 pm

This is the usual go-to stadium idea... but Franklin Field is literally within walking distance of thousands of people, plus it's also easily accessible by cheap public transportation. And there are bars and restaurants nearby.

It's always an uphill battle getting people to spring league games anyway, so why focus on convincing suburbanites to drive when you can instead focus in people who literally reside blocks away.
The way crime is in Philly I don't see that. Also you have to deal with the city which is a joke. Then again looks like Subaru has its issues:

https://6abc.com/subaru-park-shooting-p ... /13314443/
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

CFLfan_inPhilly wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:18 pm
4th&long wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:45 pmThat's the bad of a Fixed schedule. But there is a 1hr + non-overlap. Also the way the Phillies are playing just watch the Stars or channel flip the last 2 hours.
Oh, I'm not talking about me.

I'm talking about millions of casual sports viewers, including everybody watching televisions in hundreds of local sports bars. There is no chance that a Stars game will be on instead of a Phillies game. So, once again, there is no chance for any new exposure beyond us spring football nerds.
I get what you are talking about. I'm saying the Stars play at 3pm, phillies at 4:05pm so they at least have an hour of time. Also that's the issue of a Fixed Schedule, they are sticking to the original time when they should have flexed to Noon and played the USA game at 3pm - which would have been what I'd like to have seen.

Anyway...

Its a good game so far!