Is Tampa bay coming back?

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
XFLGUY
Quarterback

Is Tampa bay coming back?

Post by XFLGUY »

Just curious if there’s ever been anything said about the possibility of the Bandits being brought back at some point or was the move to Memphis done because they determined Tampa bay wasn’t/isn’t going to work?
4th&long
MVP

Re: Is Tampa bay coming back?

Post by 4th&long »

XFLGUY wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:34 pm Just curious if there’s ever been anything said about the possibility of the Bandits being brought back at some point or was the move to Memphis done because they determined Tampa bay wasn’t/isn’t going to work?
I think they want Florida and TB but with a potential ownership group and local gov and biz leader support, plus proximity to Birm, they made the switch to Memphis.

I'd prefer the larger TB too but I understand the move. Hopefully TV ratings don't suffer. Could TB be back - if they go back to FL - IMO yes.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:37 pm
XFLGUY wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:34 pm Just curious if there’s ever been anything said about the possibility of the Bandits being brought back at some point or was the move to Memphis done because they determined Tampa bay wasn’t/isn’t going to work?
I think they want Florida and TB but with a potential ownership group and local gov and biz leader support, plus proximity to Birm, they made the switch to Memphis.

I'd prefer the larger TB too but I understand the move. Hopefully TV ratings don't suffer. Could TB be back - if they go back to FL - IMO yes.
It was also probably difficult for the USFL to secure a deal with Raymond James Stadium.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

They got an offer they couldn't refuse from Memphis. That's it. But they didn't want to waste money on expansion yet, so they picked one of the other teams, and replaced it with Memphis.

The USFL has shown all the hallmarks of a Brian Woods league with its self-aggrandizing yet hopelessly vague press releases whenever something important happens. Jeff Fisher disappears, all we get is "personal reasons." Can't admit they fired the guy, for some odd reason. So no, as much as the move leaves the door open to TB returning, I have my doubts. That is, unless one of the other markets (see: Houston, ahem) falls through.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:52 pm
They got an offer they couldn't refuse from Memphis. That's it. But they didn't want to waste money on expansion yet, so they picked one of the other teams, and replaced it with Memphis.

The USFL has shown all the hallmarks of a Brian Woods league with its self-aggrandizing yet hopelessly vague press releases whenever something important happens. Jeff Fisher disappears, all we get is "personal reasons." Can't admit they fired the guy, for some odd reason. So no, as much as the move leaves the door open to TB returning, I have my doubts. That is, unless one of the other markets (see: Houston, ahem) falls through.
Why would they embarass Fisher or the league itself with that. Fisher didn't want the job any more for for his own personal reasons (too much work? for the money?) and decided to step down. Who said they fired him? LOL. What organization doesn't talk itself up?

I agree, as I posted same, they got a great offer from Memphis and moved there... which is what DJ basically said. It also works from a travel stand point. I really thought Haley took the TB job because he's from TB area, I'm glad he stuck around for year 2.
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

The only time I can remember a team actually returned to its home market after "hiatus" was the New Orleans Voodoo coming back after Hurricane Katrina. I wouldn't hold my breath on seeing the Bandits return to Tampa.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

It's happened a bunch in the NFL. Cleveland Browns, Los Angeles Chargers, Los Angeles Rams, Oakland Raiders.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion