Draft details

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
GDAWG
MVP

Re: Draft details

Post by GDAWG »

herns wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:05 pm
4th&long wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:33 am
herns wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:59 pm

Ya I think that’s a good way to put it. It’s kinda setting up free agency in future seasons and then maybe getting a few players this season, there’s been some small school guys posting they hope to get picked so we could see a few go straight to USFL
Yeah - Jim Popp pretty much confirms it:

>> Popp: I do think each team will have a very unique path that they take. Some guys, just talking to them, are looking to get guys they can bring in immediately. And then there are other teams where it’s really about the future because they got a lot of their team back. And they would rather get the rights of players and maybe have them a year from now, even if it’s for half a season. This is what makes this draft fun, because we really don’t know which direction each team is going in. <<

New article today:
https://www.theusfl.com/the-usfl/2023-u ... ed-to-know
So we may see more guys joining teams early than I thought. This is gonna be interesting
I wonder which QBs drafted today will play in the USFL and which ones will wait it out?
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Calling it, Malik Flowers could be the next KT if he gets drafted and plays (I like Victor Bolden's brother too but he was only a sophomore this past year). Would probably be a case of wait til next year though.

The RB from JMU (Agyei-Obese) who was big in the FCS spring season two years ago would be an interesting little pickup.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Liking picks that I saw. Not that I know the players names well, but the schools they come from... see alot of FBS even P5
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:33 pm Liking picks that I saw. Not that I know the players names well, but the schools they come from... see alot of FBS even P5
So reportedly, the WR the Breakers chose in round one runs a 4.29. If that holds true to form at the NFL Scouting Combine next week, he's going to be drafted in the NFL Draft, probably day 2 (2nd-3rd round).
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Chase Brice is a good example of what I was talking about with Daniels, he moved around so much (Clemson>Duke>App State) he kinda fell off the map. Unfortunately here's a bigtime problem with these types, you'll almost have to guarantee jobs (the Bryan Scott-gate from the XFL rearing around) to get them to forgo that UFA contract that if they're lucky will wind up in the final round of cuts and maybe a practice squad gig, which you're only competing with 1000 guys--most had a higher draft position.

Hell coordinate this with Damond Talbot and the guys at Draft Diamonds, cause 95% of those guys aren't getting drafted anyway. That would have been a better bet. Otherwise you're just aspiring to join USFL1.0, the league that drafted Dan Marino and Jerry Rice #1 (as well as Mike Haight in the shutdown-but-not-officially-dead period) and obviously neither/none came.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

MGB01 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:55 pm Chase Brice is a good example of what I was talking about with Daniels, he moved around so much (Clemson>Duke>App State) he kinda fell off the map. Unfortunately here's a bigtime problem with these types, you'll almost have to guarantee jobs (the Bryan Scott-gate from the XFL rearing around) to get them to forgo that UFA contract that if they're lucky will wind up in the final round of cuts and maybe a practice squad gig, which you're only competing with 1000 guys--most had a higher draft position.

Hell coordinate this with Damond Talbot and the guys at Draft Diamonds, cause 95% of those guys aren't getting drafted anyway. That would have been a better bet. Otherwise you're just aspiring to join USFL1.0, the league that drafted Dan Marino and Jerry Rice #1 (as well as Mike Haight in the shutdown-but-not-officially-dead period) and obviously neither/none came.
Chase Brice retweeted the tweet from the Houston Gamblers, who drafted him.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

GDAWG wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:56 pm
MGB01 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:55 pm Chase Brice is a good example of what I was talking about with Daniels, he moved around so much (Clemson>Duke>App State) he kinda fell off the map. Unfortunately here's a bigtime problem with these types, you'll almost have to guarantee jobs (the Bryan Scott-gate from the XFL rearing around) to get them to forgo that UFA contract that if they're lucky will wind up in the final round of cuts and maybe a practice squad gig, which you're only competing with 1000 guys--most had a higher draft position.

OK now say somebody takes a flyer on him in the seventh, he passing it up so he can be QB3 that night against Memphis?
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:59 pm

OK now say somebody takes a flyer on him in the seventh, he passing it up so he can be QB3 that night against Memphis?
More likely mid season pick up (rookie minicamps are when), if they need him, otherwise he's on their radar and Brice will know USFL interest in 2023.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

MGB01 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:59 pm

if he gets drafted, he'll go all the way through training camp, as NFL teams don't ever release drafted players before training camp unless there are extreme circumstances. If he ends up undrafted and doesn't sign anywhere, he'll be in the USFL.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

Players seem to be signing already. Michigans top 2 picks are on the official roster and Houston’s new qb is on theirs