Michigan Panthers News

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
4th&long
MVP

DN: Panthers debut at Ford Field Spolied

Post by 4th&long »

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/2023 ... 168154007/

>> The first offensive snap of the game had yet to happen, but fans were on their feet.

"Let's go Panthers!" they chanted. "Let's go Panthers!"

But that was the best moment of the day in the Michigan Panthers' return to its home state 40 years after winning the inaugural USL championship. The New Jersey Generals scored touchdowns on each of their first three possessions, averaged nearly 10 yards per play and ran over the previously undefeated Panthers, 28-13, Sunday afternoon at Ford Field.

"I thought they were awesome, I really do," Panthers coach Mike Nolan said of the approximately 7,500 fans on hand. "To be perfectly frank with you that's one of the disappointments I had, is to not have a better showing for the people that were here.

"I hope they come back and support us and continue to believe in us, because we're a much better football team than what we did today." <<
4th&long
MVP

Panthers Cut QB Eric Barriere

Post by 4th&long »

>> James Larsen@JamesLarsenPFN
Confirmed: The @USFLPanthers
have released QB Eric Barriere, per source.

The Eastern Washington product never saw the field this #USFL season, despite impressing in limited minutes last year. Hoping another team gives him a look sooner than later.
10:28 AM · May 30, 2023 <<
herns
Head Coach

Re: Michigan Panthers News

Post by herns »

Pretty big signing, he’s someone I thought would’ve been a franchise type qb for a USFL or xfl team going into both leagues seasons but seeing him sign mid season is just as good.
4th&long
MVP

Panthers Win at Home in front of biggest crowd of season, make playoffs

Post by 4th&long »

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/usfl/ ... -dominance

>> Michigan got its first win in front of the biggest Ford Field crowd all season, a 23-20 nail-biter, while simultaneously punching a ticket to the franchise's first playoff appearance in this iteration of the USFL. <<

>> USFL Newsroom@USFLNewsroom
Quite the crowd is building up for the final @USFLPanthers game at Ford Field tonight!
5:58 PM · Jun 18, 2023 <<
4th&long
MVP

Det-News: Panthers solve home woes

Post by 4th&long »

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sport ... 334163007/

>> “They were outstanding today," Nolan said, "as they’ve been every time we’ve played at home, today was really nice and obviously we were able to give them a win, so we really appreciate them being here and like I said, they were a big part of our victory today, making noise at the end and inspiring our guys."
~
The defining score came with just over 13 minutes left in the game, when Perry fumbled the snap but kept his cool and ran it in for a six-yard touchdown run. The 2-point conversion was even more impressive, with Perry running to his right before throwing back left to tight end Marcus Baugh for the conversion.

From there on, the Ford Field crowd was electric and defense forced multiple incompletions and punts, with Cookus ending the night 24-for-44 with 247 passing yards.

“It was a tough stretch, and it hits you a little harder when it’s at home when you have those losses because you want to play well in front of your home crowd and you wanna be a good team to this crowd,” Nolan said. "So, we wanted them to get inspired by the game and that’s what happened today in the second half. It was a tough stretch, but today, it feels like it never happened." <<