Rule changes for season 2

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
herns
Head Coach

Rule changes for season 2

Post by herns »

https://usflnewsroom.com/news/mike-pere ... -season-2/

Games will have a running clock the entire game until the last 5 mins of the 2nd & 4th quarter

Kickoffs will be moved back from the 25 yd line to the 20
4th&long
MVP

Re: Rule changes for season 2

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:50 am https://usflnewsroom.com/news/mike-pere ... -season-2/

Games will have a running clock the entire game until the last 5 mins of the 2nd & 4th quarter

Kickoffs will be moved back from the 25 yd line to the 20
Good catch, liking the rules changes, granted the running clock is for ad time and to tailor for TV but that's why we have spring FB. And MORE KOffs ! Good!

Also like Fox using its other properties to promote USFL.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

We’re listening to the fans and we’re listening to the critics. So, a forward fumble into and out of bounds in the endzone will go back to the spot of the fumble and the offense will keep the ball.
Really, is anybody other than Mike Florio complaining about this? The reason the rule is like that is because the endzone isn't just for points, it also represents the end of a possession--whether it's by a touchdown or not. So if you turn the ball over in the endzone without having reached it, it goes the other way. Thus it's not merely the same as fumbling out of bounds.

So what are we doing here exactly? That maybe MF will be inclined to double his positive coverage of the USFL (from 1% to 2) on PFT? And what's to stop any week three rule changes to help the Maulers make a 35-yard FG?

Guys, you got rid of Woods, now you can officially send TSL out with him.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

MGB01 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:34 pm Really, is anybody other than Mike Florio complaining about this? The reason the rule is like that is because the endzone isn't just for points, it also represents the end of a possession--whether it's by a touchdown or not. So if you turn the ball over in the endzone without having reached it, it goes the other way. Thus it's not merely the same as fumbling out of bounds.
Yeah, I agree. I know why it confuses people, but it's pretty foundational to the sport's DNA.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

MGB01 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:34 pm
We’re listening to the fans and we’re listening to the critics. So, a forward fumble into and out of bounds in the endzone will go back to the spot of the fumble and the offense will keep the ball.
Really, is anybody other than Mike Florio complaining about this? The reason the rule is like that is because the endzone isn't just for points, it also represents the end of a possession--whether it's by a touchdown or not. So if you turn the ball over in the endzone without having reached it, it goes the other way. Thus it's not merely the same as fumbling out of bounds.

So what are we doing here exactly? That maybe MF will be inclined to double his positive coverage of the USFL (from 1% to 2) on PFT? And what's to stop any week three rule changes to help the Maulers make a 35-yard FG?

Mike Florio's current spiel: he's not buying the fact that Tom Brady's retirement is permanent, despite the fact that Brady's father said to Mike Greenberg that Brady doesn't want to get hit anymore. He believes that Brady will get the itch to play again when he's doing game study for FOX.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

GDAWG wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:06 pm
MGB01 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:34 pm

Mike Florio's current spiel: he's not buying the fact that Tom Brady's retirement is permanent, despite the fact that Brady's father said to Mike Greenberg that Brady doesn't want to get hit anymore. He believes that Brady will get the itch to play again when he's doing game study for FOX.
Somehow I don't think he's gonna take time out from that to give Bottle-gate Mike an 'Atta boy, see he's giving the fans what they want!', at least not voluntarily (or it'll be one of his underlings)

When it (fumble/touchback) happens during a game his whining over it turns into about three or four different pieces covering the same thing. So given all this, I don't know who expects that all the sudden this is going to result in more attention being given the league when it's never really been that big of an issue.
XFL Crusader
Receiver

Post by XFL Crusader »

I dislike the running clock immensely.
Stallions and Vipers fan

2022 USFL Champions
super390
Receiver

Post by super390 »

I think it's about time that one of these made-for-TV leagues made a serious effort to get game lengths under 2 1/2 hours. I'm not planning my afternoon around one of these games.

And I've finally reached the point where I think the NFL overly coddles teams coming back from behind. It shouldn't be easy to come back from 16 down, but with the 2-point conversion and with all the advantages that passing has, you can score in a minute without even looking particularly good. Let's see a team really have some urgency because it can't stop the clock on every play.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

XFL Crusader wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:32 am I dislike the running clock immensely.
For me it’ll depend on if the new kickoff rule compensated for the lesser time, there’s a chance it doesn’t impact scoring with the new kickoff rule giving offense a shorter field and have games closer to 2 and a half hours. There’s the chance games become low scouting and they go back mid season but I’m hoping it helps pace And the shorter field can help keep scouting unchanged
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:48 am
XFL Crusader wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:32 am I dislike the running clock immensely.
For me it’ll depend on if the new kickoff rule compensated for the lesser time, there’s a chance it doesn’t impact scoring with the new kickoff rule giving offense a shorter field and have games closer to 2 and a half hours. There’s the chance games become low scouting and they go back mid season but I’m hoping it helps pace And the shorter field can help keep scouting unchanged
I think you meant scoring - but yes - ever Periera said it will reduce the number of plays but I'm not thinking they want the games to be 2.5 hours but rather just under 3 hours for TV time slots. The XFL has an even bigger issue with this if you look at their times and TV sch. So it makes sense. If its too short they may change and limit the chg to the 1st half.