'An absolute win.' Community leaders react to USFL's expanding presence in Canton

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
FootballFan
Kicker

'An absolute win.' Community leaders react to USFL's expanding presence in Canton

Post by FootballFan »

It looks like Canton went after the USFL hard.

https://www.cantonrep.com/story/news/lo ... 840150007/
He credited "great partners" in Stark County for helping to attract the USFL while expanding the league's presence in Canton, citing Canton City Council, Stark County commissioners, local foundations and Visit Canton.
So, Canton went after the USFL. Why?
A handful of projects are on the horizon at the Hall of Fame Village, including a football-themed indoor water park. Construction started on the 147,000-square-foot facility near the end of last year. The water park will be located next to a Hilton Tapestry hotel.

Saunier said the continued growth of Hall of Fame Village has helped make Canton an ideal place for major events.
In the article they mention how Canton had economic impacts of $2.5 million and $1.49 million, and hotel occupancy rate was up 13% the weekend of the championship.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I think Canton wants something more than just to host the hub this year. They want a team.

I believe Canton is going to be an expansion city and they are going to rebrand the Denver Gold to the Canton or Cleveland Gold. That would explain why Dan Gilbert was at attendance to the Detroit hub press conference.
Tank55
MVP

Re: 'An absolute win.' Community leaders react to USFL's expanding presence in Canton

Post by Tank55 »

The USFL won't give away the Gold name to Canton. They clearly understand this dynamic in a way the XFL does not. When the USFL "moved" a team out of Tampa, they put the Bandits name on ice. If they ever go back to Tampa, they'll have a brand ready to go. Similarly, if they ever decide to go to Denver, they can have the Gold name ready to go. Don't "relocate" a brand to a new city and then be forced to play catch up like the XFL is doing in Orlando. Revive an old brand if you can, create a new one if you can't.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
herns
Head Coach

Re: 'An absolute win.' Community leaders react to USFL's expanding presence in Canton

Post by herns »

FootballFan wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:13 am It looks like Canton went after the USFL hard.

https://www.cantonrep.com/story/news/lo ... 840150007/
He credited "great partners" in Stark County for helping to attract the USFL while expanding the league's presence in Canton, citing Canton City Council, Stark County commissioners, local foundations and Visit Canton.
So, Canton went after the USFL. Why?
A handful of projects are on the horizon at the Hall of Fame Village, including a football-themed indoor water park. Construction started on the 147,000-square-foot facility near the end of last year. The water park will be located next to a Hilton Tapestry hotel.

Saunier said the continued growth of Hall of Fame Village has helped make Canton an ideal place for major events.
In the article they mention how Canton had economic impacts of $2.5 million and $1.49 million, and hotel occupancy rate was up 13% the weekend of the championship.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I think Canton wants something more than just to host the hub this year. They want a team.

I believe Canton is going to be an expansion city and they are going to rebrand the Denver Gold to the Canton or Cleveland Gold. That would explain why Dan Gilbert was at attendance to the Detroit hub press conference.
I think canton is seeing this as their audition to get a team, if they can show they can sustain a fan base for a team that doesn’t represent their city they would be probably a safe bet to get a team come expansion. As for Dan Gilbert he’s a big time investor in the city of detroit so I don’t think there’s much of a connection between the canton hub and him, especially since Gilbert was name dropped multiple times as being a big part of getting the panthers to detroit
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

If Canton gets a team, it will be a new team with no ties to the original USFL. It should be something that the USFL should eventually consider: cities that were not a part of the original USFL. Right now, it seems like they are trying to revive as many old USFL teams as possible.