USFL to maximize tv exposure

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
herns
Head Coach

USFL to maximize tv exposure

Post by herns »

Moose Johnston said to expect a lot of events like Preakness to serve as a lead in to USFL games this year to maximize ratings and exposure
4th&long
MVP

Re: USFL to maximize tv exposure

Post by 4th&long »

Nice catch herns

I heard that before in some article or vid- they had good results with a h-race lead in last year. Expect more lead ins.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

Here’s moose on the topic, seems fox and NBC are going to be putting the league in the best spots possible to succeed viewership wise. While the xfl has the advantage of being in all markets this is the biggest advantage the USFL has over the xfl
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

4th&long wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:12 am Nice catch herns

I heard that before in some article or vid- they had good results with a h-race lead in last year. Expect more lead ins.
It was the wrap-around DH with the Preakness last year
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

It'll be interesting to see if ratings burnout begins to reflect on the USFL's ratings—and, for that matter, direct competition between the end of the XFL season and the beginning of the USFL's. After a full NFL season, followed by several weeks of the XFL on ESPN, will Americans keep watching the USFL? Or will they just be bored, exhausted and confused?

NBC has already shown repeatedly, both with the original XFL and with arena football, that it will deep-six alt-football that loses ratings.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:23 pm It'll be interesting to see if ratings burnout begins to reflect on the USFL's ratings—and, for that matter, direct competition between the end of the XFL season and the beginning of the USFL's. After a full NFL season, followed by several weeks of the XFL on ESPN, will Americans keep watching the USFL? Or will they just be bored, exhausted and confused?

NBC has already shown repeatedly, both with the original XFL and with arena football, that it will deep-six alt-football that loses ratings.
Burnout will be interesting, i could also see it being a rising tide raises all since the general public seems to not know the difference between leagues. As for original xfl and Arena being dropped by NBC they were both a complete mess behind the scenes at certain points and weren’t the best PR wise along with the bad ratinga
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

herns wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:31 pm
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:23 pm It'll be interesting to see if ratings burnout begins to reflect on the USFL's ratings—and, for that matter, direct competition between the end of the XFL season and the beginning of the USFL's. After a full NFL season, followed by several weeks of the XFL on ESPN, will Americans keep watching the USFL? Or will they just be bored, exhausted and confused?

Burnout will be interesting, i could also see it being a rising tide raises all since the general public seems to not know the difference between leagues. As for original xfl and Arena being dropped by NBC they were both a complete mess behind the scenes at certain points and weren’t the best PR wise along with the bad ratinga
I agree about the XFL but how was the AFL a complete mess behind the scenes? I mean sure, teams moved or folded yearly, but that had slowed down during the 03-08 era. They had big name NFL ownership, a league that was already 20 years old, and always paid it's bills and players on time. The AFL still averaged slightly more on NBC than the USFL did last year as well.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

laxtreme56 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:40 pm
herns wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:31 pm

I agree about the XFL but how was the AFL a complete mess behind the scenes? I mean sure, teams moved or folded yearly, but that had slowed down during the 03-08 era. They had big name NFL ownership, a league that was already 20 years old, and always paid it's bills and players on time. The AFL still averaged slightly more on NBC than the USFL did last year as well.
Looking back I think I just mixed up the AFL with the newer leagues
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Actually it has been a point of discussion about what led up to David Baker's exit.
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

MGB01 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:14 pm Actually it has been a point of discussion about what led up to David Baker's exit.
The league was in negotiations to be purchased by an equity group for somewhere in the neighborhood of $50 million. When they had to open the books, and showed league wide losses of $20 million, the equity group walked away. At that point Baker was likely to be pushed out by ownership so he left before they could. The writing was already on the wall with New Orleans ceasing operations shortly after the 08 ArenaBowl and LA bowing out before the league shutdown in mid December 08.