USFL to have 4 hubs for season 2

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
4th&long
MVP

Re: USFL to have 4 hubs for season 2

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:01 pm
Tank55 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:59 pm I get the appeal of playing Panthers "road" games in Detroit, but I think that really undermines the competitive integrity of the league. So I think I'd resist that temptation. But definitely a good question with legitimate pros and cons to each.
I think it’s almost a guarantee to happen at least once per hub, gets an extra game with a crowd which is good for broadcasts
herns - it has to. As the Michigan at Stars game in Detroit will be an "away" game at Detroit for Michigan.

Hence each Hub-true home team will get at least 6 games (5 home + hub sharing away team) in front of home crowd for 24 minimum of 40 reg season games (see example in prior post)
4th&long
MVP

USFL Hub Coaches

Post by 4th&long »

This has me more hopeful Haley is in 2023.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

When the USFL goes out to all of the cities, I can't see the Gamblers actually playing in Houston but I also can't see them not playing in Texas when the USFL goes out to all of the cities. Naturally, the most logical place is Austin and the MLS Stadium. But if Austin FC says no (because we all know that the University of Texas will say no), it might not be the end of the world for the Gamblers playing in Austin, although they might have to play quite a way (40 minutes) in San Marcos, where Texas State is playing. However, San Marcos is considered more a part of Greater Austin than Greater San Antonio.

Another option might be Dallas/Fort Worth. Yes the XFL is out there, but that is in Arlington, Texas. The Gamblers might work if they play in Dallas County (Arlington is in neighboring Tarrant County). This one could make sense. USFL VP Darryl Johnston lives in DFW and knows the area quite well, so he would know where the Gamblers might be able to play if they were to go to DFW.

Now, there are two options I consider to be "darkhorse" options if the USFL can't get into Austin or DFW but wants a presence in Texas: El Paso and the Rio Grande Valley. Rio Grande Valley has a USL Championship team in the Rio Grande Valley FC and they play at HEB Stadium, which will also be the home of the future UT-Rio Grande Valley Football team. El Paso has the Sun Bowl.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:46 pm When the USFL goes out to all of the cities, I can't see the Gamblers actually playing in Houston but I also can't see them not playing in Texas when the USFL goes out to all of the cities. Naturally, the most logical place is Austin and the MLS Stadium. But if Austin FC says no (because we all know that the University of Texas will say no), it might not be the end of the world for the Gamblers playing in Austin, although they might have to play quite a way (40 minutes) in San Marcos, where Texas State is playing. However, San Marcos is considered more a part of Greater Austin than Greater San Antonio.

Another option might be Dallas/Fort Worth. Yes the XFL is out there, but that is in Arlington, Texas. The Gamblers might work if they play in Dallas County (Arlington is in neighboring Tarrant County). This one could make sense. USFL VP Darryl Johnston lives in DFW and knows the area quite well, so he would know where the Gamblers might be able to play if they were to go to DFW.

Now, there are two options I consider to be "darkhorse" options if the USFL can't get into Austin or DFW but wants a presence in Texas: El Paso and the Rio Grande Valley. Rio Grande Valley has a USL Championship team in the Rio Grande Valley FC and they play at HEB Stadium, which will also be the home of the future UT-Rio Grande Valley Football team. El Paso has the Sun Bowl.
I'm not looking that far ahead... as who knows what the leagues may work towards... but if not there is no reason Houston can't play in Houston. Its a top 10 TV market.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:35 pm
GDAWG wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:46 pm When the USFL goes out to all of the cities, I can't see the Gamblers actually playing in Houston but I also can't see them not playing in Texas when the USFL goes out to all of the cities. Naturally, the most logical place is Austin and the MLS Stadium. But if Austin FC says no (because we all know that the University of Texas will say no), it might not be the end of the world for the Gamblers playing in Austin, although they might have to play quite a way (40 minutes) in San Marcos, where Texas State is playing. However, San Marcos is considered more a part of Greater Austin than Greater San Antonio.

I'm not looking that far ahead... as who knows what the leagues may work towards... but if not there is no reason Houston can't play in Houston. Its a top 10 TV market.
The Roughnecks are playing in Houston and I can't see two teams co-existing in Houston, unless one of them plays in the suburbs, which is unlikely.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:57 pm

The Roughnecks are playing in Houston and I can't see two teams co-existing in Houston, unless one of them plays in the suburbs, which is unlikely.
They only play 5 home games each. The USFL will know the schedule (assuming a 2024 for both) of the Roughnecks there's little area for overlap. I'll bet the stadium will want the business.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:00 pm

They only play 5 home games each. The USFL will know the schedule (assuming a 2024 for both) of the Roughnecks there's little area for overlap. I'll bet the stadium will want the business.
It all depends on where the Gamblers are going to play. Rice University may not be as amenable to a pro team as the University of Houston is with the Roughnecks. The only feasible option is the MLS stadium, but they would have to work around the schedule of Houston Dynamo and Houston Dash.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:05 pm

It all depends on where the Gamblers are going to play. Rice University may not be as amenable to a pro team as the University of Houston is with the Roughnecks. The only feasible option is the MLS stadium, but they would have to work around the schedule of Houston Dynamo and Houston Dash.
They can use same stadium, you can work around any overlap
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:16 pm
GDAWG wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:05 pm
They can use same stadium, you can work around any overlap
Only if the University of Houston says yes since they own that stadium
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

GDAWG wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:29 pm Only if the University of Houston says yes since they own that stadium
Did you think he was suggesting that they break into the stadium and stage football games without permission from the stadium owner?
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion