WGNO: Breakers HC DeFilippo interview

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
4th&long
MVP

WGNO: Breakers HC DeFilippo interview

Post by 4th&long »

https://wgno.com/sports/wgno-exclusive- ... cceptable/

>> Nov. 14, the USFL announced that Birmingham will again host the New Orleans Breakers during the 2023 season.

Ultimately the goal is for all eight squads to play in their namesake cities.

“It’s 342 miles from New Orleans to Birmingham,” shared Coach DeFilippo. “So we welcome all our fans to make that drive to the beautiful City of Birmingham to watch us play. And if you can’t make it, watch the games on television because the viewership piece to this thing is very, very important, and we want to put a great product out there for our fans. We want to represent the City of New Orleans and our fans the best we can.”
WATCH: LSU Tigers excited to take on ‘tough challenge’ in SEC Championship game against Georgia

The Memphis Showboats, which will replace the Tampa Bay Bandits this season, is expected to play in the Liberty Bowl this year, along with the Houston Gamblers.

“We want to make sure we bring an exciting brand of football to New Orleans and represent the Breakers and the people of New Orleans well,” said Coach Flip. “I want to play fast. When you watch our team, both sides of the football.

“I talked to the coordinators already and guys that I am planning on hiring, that when teams turn on our tape, they are going to say, ‘wow, that team plays hard and they run to the ball.’ Because good things happen when you are around the football.”

The USFL’s second season will kick off on April 15, 2023. <<

At least NOLA has no MLB or NHL to compete against.
herns
Head Coach

Re: WGNO: Breakers HC DeFilippo interview

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:19 pm https://wgno.com/sports/wgno-exclusive- ... cceptable/

>> Nov. 14, the USFL announced that Birmingham will again host the New Orleans Breakers during the 2023 season.

Ultimately the goal is for all eight squads to play in their namesake cities.

“It’s 342 miles from New Orleans to Birmingham,” shared Coach DeFilippo. “So we welcome all our fans to make that drive to the beautiful City of Birmingham to watch us play. And if you can’t make it, watch the games on television because the viewership piece to this thing is very, very important, and we want to put a great product out there for our fans. We want to represent the City of New Orleans and our fans the best we can.”
WATCH: LSU Tigers excited to take on ‘tough challenge’ in SEC Championship game against Georgia

The Memphis Showboats, which will replace the Tampa Bay Bandits this season, is expected to play in the Liberty Bowl this year, along with the Houston Gamblers.

“We want to make sure we bring an exciting brand of football to New Orleans and represent the Breakers and the people of New Orleans well,” said Coach Flip. “I want to play fast. When you watch our team, both sides of the football.

“I talked to the coordinators already and guys that I am planning on hiring, that when teams turn on our tape, they are going to say, ‘wow, that team plays hard and they run to the ball.’ Because good things happen when you are around the football.”

The USFL’s second season will kick off on April 15, 2023. <<

At least NOLA has no MLB or NHL to compete against.
I think they’re going to be a fun team to watch, it’s really nice to see him consistently doing media stuff with NOLA news to try and engage the home market. I wonder if it’ll work in terms of bringing in some fans from NOLA but even if it doesn’t it’s good to see because the interviews and being in local news is type of thing I think everyone was hoping would happen in season 1 and it send we’re getting that now in season 2
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

I will be surprised if Shea Patterson and Zach Smith are his only QBs' heading into the season.

As for venues for the Breakers, there are several options (since I don't think the Superdome is an option):

Yulman Stadium: Home of Tulane Stadium, all it takes is for Tulane (who owns the stadium) to say yes to the USFL but also Tulane has to be open to allowing USFL and Breakers trademarks and logos on their field. We saw how much of a disaster the Salt Lake Stallions were at Rice-Eccles Stadium when no AAF and Stallions wordmarks and logos were not allowed on the field. For spring alternative leagues, if they want college stadiums, all these leagues have to do is ask and make sure that all league logos and markings are allowed. This could be for the USFL like how TEDCU Stadium is for the XFL. The University of Houston was more than willing to allow the XFL to be played there in 2020 and will welcome the XFL back with open arms in 2023. The stadium is fairly new, so it's not going to need major renovations.

But if Tulane says no, there are other options:

Gold Mine on Airline: A baseball stadium that seats 10,000, it would need significant renovations. Currently hosts the New Orleans Gold of Major League Rugby.
Tad Gormley Stadium: Seats 26,500 but would probably need some major renovations before the USFL considers placing the Breakers there.
Pan American Stadium: Seats 5,000. Again possibly renovations are needed, including expansion of seating.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:44 pm I will be surprised if Shea Patterson and Zach Smith are his only QBs' heading into the season.

As for venues for the Breakers, there are several options (since I don't think the Superdome is an option):

Yulman Stadium: Home of Tulane Stadium, all it takes is for Tulane (who owns the stadium) to say yes to the USFL but also Tulane has to be open to allowing USFL and Breakers trademarks and logos on their field. We saw how much of a disaster the Salt Lake Stallions were at Rice-Eccles Stadium when no AAF and Stallions wordmarks and logos were not allowed on the field. For spring alternative leagues, if they want college stadiums, all these leagues have to do is ask and make sure that all league logos and markings are allowed. This could be for the USFL like how TEDCU Stadium is for the XFL. The University of Houston was more than willing to allow the XFL to be played there in 2020 and will welcome the XFL back with open arms in 2023. The stadium is fairly new, so it's not going to need major renovations.

Gold Mine on Airline: A baseball stadium that seats 10,000, it would need significant renovations. Currently hosts the New Orleans Gold of Major League Rugby.
Tad Gormley Stadium: Seats 26,500 but would probably need some major renovations before the USFL considers placing the Breakers there.
Pan American Stadium: Seats 5,000. Again possibly renovations are needed, including expansion of seating.
Gotta be Yulman. If not NOLA could be NADA.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:27 pm
GDAWG wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:44 pm I will be surprised if Shea Patterson and Zach Smith are his only QBs' heading into the season.

Gotta be Yulman. If not NOLA could be NADA.
If it is going to be Yulman, that indicates that Tulane is open to allowing pro football at their stadium. Again, if these alternative leagues want college football stadiums, they need the college to say yes. All it takes is for Tulane to say "yes" to the USFL and to allow USFL trademarks and logos there and the Breakers have a home venue.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

If you have evidence or at least a reason that Tulane wouldn't be open to renting their stadium, please provide it. Otherwise, I don't see the value in you harping on the fact that the owner needs to agree to rent. That's true of literally every single venue.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Tank55 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:59 am If you have evidence or at least a reason that Tulane wouldn't be open to renting their stadium, please provide it. Otherwise, I don't see the value in you harping on the fact that the owner needs to agree to rent. That's true of literally every single venue.
Cities or public entities (MLS, NFL or Stadium Authorities) who own stadiums are likely much easier to deal with than colleges. Like if we were to put the Gamblers in Austin, it would probably be much easier to swing a deal with Austin FC to play at the 20,000 Q2 Stadium rather than the University of Texas. And if the Oklahoma Outlaws were to ever return, it would probably be Tulsa as they would probably be more amenable to the USFL than Oklahoma City namely because Tulsa has a venue and OKC does not.

Having said that, I think Tulane would be open to the USFL playing at their place. In fact, I am going to make this prediction: The New Orleans Bowl will move to Yulman Stadium.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Yeah, that's fine, but there's actual evidence to support that Texas would be unwilling to rent DKR. Generally speaking, colleges are just as willing to cash a check as everyone else. Houston, UCF, Utah, etc.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Tank55 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:28 pm Yeah, that's fine, but there's actual evidence to support that Texas would be unwilling to rent DKR. Generally speaking, colleges are just as willing to cash a check as everyone else. Houston, UCF, Utah, etc.
Texas doesn't need the cash, because they are Texas and can get cash from their rich and powerful alumni. Also that stadium seats 100,000 people, way too big for leagues like the XFL and USFL. Austin FC's Q2 Stadium is a better look from a TV perspective since that seats 20,000. A potential Austin darkhorse for me would be at Texas State in San Marcos, which is 30 miles southwest of Austin. They have Bobcat Stadium and that seats 30,000, which would also be a better look from a TV perspective.