UAB is looking at USFL coaches for their coaching search

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
GDAWG
MVP

Re: UAB is looking at USFL coaches for their coaching search

Post by GDAWG »

herns wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:24 pm
GDAWG wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:09 pm Although I said earlier that if a USFL coach leaves to go back to college football that we should be happy for them, I feel like if Holtz leaves and his replacement is from outside the USFL, all of the players who have committed to staying like J'Mar Smith and Bo Scarborough might re-consider.

Also, Sumlin linked to Georgia Tech:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... nd-beyond/
Interim coach Brent Key may have taken a huge step after upsetting North Carolina. GT may even get to a bowl game. That would mean beating Georgia this week. If not, watch for Bulldogs running backs coach Del McGee, Tulane coach Willie Fritz and former Houston/Texas A&M/Arizona coach Kevin Sumlin. Sanders also must be considered given the Atlanta connection.
Idk if they’d be able to leave since I believe they already signed the contract for next year.
Good, because the USFL needs some stability, especially at the QB position. The USFL has already lost Luis Perez and Kyle Sloter to the XFL, Case Cookus to the NFL and are about to lose Jordan Ta'amu and Bryan Scott and maybe even Paxton Lynch. I've been keeping up with USFL transactions, and based on these transactions there doesn't seem to be much urgency to fill the QB position, but the rest of the league is probably waiting to see what the Maulers do with Vad Lee and Roland Rivers. There still hasn't been any clear answers as to whether or not Lee and Rivers are signed for next year isn't there?
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Coaches will definitely be able to leave the USFL. Petrino walked out on the Falcons midseason. Come on people.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

Apparently skip holtz has already declined one college offer this year
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Charlotte is heading to the American along with UAB, so obviously if he goes it's not just any job in the conference, that's a pretty good indicator he'll be back in B-ham one way or the other, just when does his season start, April or September?
4th&long
MVP

CBS-S:UAB expected to hire Trent Dilfer as HC

Post by 4th&long »

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... r-reports/

>> UAB is expected to hire former Super Bowl winning quarterback Trent Dilfer as its next coach, according to multiple reports. Dilfer most recently completed his fourth season as head coach of Lipscomb Academy, a private high school in Nashville, Tennessee, that has amassed a 38-8 record under his leadership << :shock:

This can only help the Stallions :mrgreen:
MGB01
MVP

Re: CBS-S:UAB expected to hire Trent Dilfer as HC

Post by MGB01 »

4th&long wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:26 am https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... r-reports/

>> UAB is expected to hire former Super Bowl winning quarterback Trent Dilfer as its next coach, according to multiple reports. Dilfer most recently completed his fourth season as head coach of Lipscomb Academy, a private high school in Nashville, Tennessee, that has amassed a 38-8 record under his leadership << :shock:

This can only help the Stallions :mrgreen:
Was Irsay a consultant to UAB as well? :lol:

I have no problems with Saturday cause it was an interim gig for a team going nowhere (and no way in hell Sat gets the job now), but this is way different. Granted Dilfer was a tad more successful in his HS gig, but how does that translate--especially with UAB stepping up to a new conference?

And for all Watts' efforts to show for years that it wasn't him that shut down the program in 2014, this (and totally shutting players out of the coaching search) isn't a good way to help himself out.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

If skip turned UAB down that’d be 2 schools he’s turned down in favor of staying with the USFL, in both cases he would’ve made a good amount more at the college rather than USFL shows he sees a vision for the future he must like imo
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Might have been a case of been there done that, having coached in the Big East (essentially the predecessor to the American) before.

He also might have been set on the UAB job but wanted no part of the admin/trustees (as I said earlier Watts comes off as a con artist, this is why they end up with Dilfer).
Lone Star
Running Back

Post by Lone Star »

MGB01 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:32 pm Interestingly enough, UAB closes out with Louisiana Tech. A win makes UAB bowl eligible (CUSA only has four ATM) and LT would finish the same 3-9 as last year with Holtz--which could and likely would have been 7-5/8-4 given his track record, think they might be reconsidering?

Sounds like a 'HAHA' at first but remember LT is crossing over to the less threatening CUSA next year that adds two from FCS (Sam Houston State, Jacksonville State), a might-as-well-be (New Mexico State), and a top 30-40 that's the typical perfectly good G5 team--the college version of a AAAA player (Liberty). If the bridges aren't burned/he hasn't reached 'been there done that' stage yet I'd imagine they'd be trying to get him back.
Don't forget CUSA will also have Kennesaw State soon, too. I guess the NCAA is throwing out their 15,000 attendance requirement out of the window, since Kennesaw seats 8,300.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

My understanding is that the stadium will be expanding:
A C-USA news release announcing the move noted, “the configuration of Fifth Third Bank Stadium, home to KSU football, will allow for phased attendance capacity increases over time as the university engages in competition within Conference USA.”
https://theathletic.com/3693695/2022/10 ... alignment/
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion