USFL signed a 1 year deal with memphis and a letter of intent for 2 additional years

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
herns
Head Coach

USFL signed a 1 year deal with memphis and a letter of intent for 2 additional years

Post by herns »

It seems like the city is giving an incentive type deal with the league where the funding from the city gets better the longer they’re in memphis
4th&long
MVP

Re: USFL signed a 1 year deal with memphis and a letter of intent for 2 additional years

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:10 pm

It seems like the city is giving an incentive type deal with the league where the funding from the city gets better the longer they’re in memphis
Smart by city, also likely all they could get passed in a short time. This article confirms the lease terms, but I'm sure the deal was USFL favorable in Yr 1 to attract the USFL to "move" the team.

>> The new Memphis team has signed a one-year lease to play at Liberty Stadium, and the city, according to Strickland, has a letter of intent from the USFL for two more years beyond 2023.

Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.<<

https://dailymemphian.com/section/sport ... strickland

Like I said before I understand the move even if Memphis is a big drop in city/TV market size from TB.

With Memphis being a 3.5 hour ride to Birm, it makes travel cost for South division games busing distance. Like NFL's Philly to the NYG or Washington.
herns
Head Coach

Re: USFL signed a 1 year deal with memphis and a letter of intent for 2 additional years

Post by herns »

4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

I read somewhere that the practice field will be provided by the city for free this year.

There are no guarantees on 2024 overall, but assuming USFL does ok in 2023 they may have a long term owner in Memphis.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:27 am I read somewhere that the practice field will be provided by the city for free this year.

There are no guarantees on 2024 overall, but assuming USFL does ok in 2023 they may have a long term owner in Memphis.
It seems to be a move that will benefit the league most a few years down the road, which is great to see the league building for the long term rather than just short term