USFL QB's for 2023

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
herns
Head Coach

Re: USFL QB's for 2023

Post by herns »

GDAWG wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:41 pm Most interested in seeing which QBs are drafted on Tuesday.
I’m gonna be interested if we see any D2 guys that may go straight camp/skip nfl draft since they’d be more unlikely to get picked up or more known guys who rams just want the rights to in case they’re ever available. I bet we see a few that so what Barriere did in their rights get picked up but they wait until mid season to join
herns
Head Coach

Re: USFL QB's for 2023 - Who is Set?

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:56 am
herns wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:12 pm
4th&long wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:23 pm
I don't know why a USFL team would not go after him, you know something?
He’s supposed to have ego issues, stribling and I think Alexander posted something along the lines of his personality is catching up to him when Vegas released him
Well that's something that can be corrected, being unemployed can help in that effort. BTW we heard none of that last year.
It can be corrected but given the hub set up last year if teams saw him as having an ego problem first hand it may make them less willing to take that chance. I would still like houston to add him, they need a qb the most imo
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:43 am
Good find.

Yeah I could see Roland as a 2nd or third QB for USFL team. He seems to have a level head and he has some experience now.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/usfl/ ... b-football

We’re getting reports about which players stood out during the USFL hub showcase. Rivers is one named in the article as a standout from the showcase, would love to see him back in the league
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:26 pm https://www.foxsports.com/stories/usfl/ ... b-football

We’re getting reports about which players stood out during the USFL hub showcase. Rivers is one named in the article as a standout from the showcase, would love to see him back in the league
Good find, thx for posting.

USFL getting serious as we gear into camp in less than a month. FoxSports had a good no-puff article. I think Rivers has a shot at a 3rd QB role, maybe a #2. Some others they mention will likely see camp as well.

Even with USFL and XFL there almost feels like more competition for spots, these guys have to grind it to get one.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

So looking at the draft prospects at QB for 2023:

-5 QBs are for sure going to be on NFL rosters by the start of the 2023 season: CJ Stroud, Bryce Young, Will Levis, Hendon Hooker and Anthony Richardson. Stroud, Young, Levis and Richardson are unrealistic. I could see Hooker being drafted tomorrow, but it whether or not he ever shows up to the USFL team that drafts him will depend on what his status is by the start of the 2023 NFL season.
- Others I could see getting drafted tomorrow, but having their rights in case they wind up in the USFL in 2024: Tanner McKee, Jaren Hall, Clayton Tune, Aiden O'Connell, Jake Haener, Dorian Thompson-Robinson, Malik Cunningham, Myles Brennan, Adrian Martinez, Todd Centeio, Tanner Morgan, Sean Clifford, Tyson Bagent and two big names in Stetson Bennett and Max Duggan.

It will be interesting to see how long a USFL team can hold those players rights for and when they have to relinquish them. TBH, I could see a few of these names being backups in the NFL next year as the NFL has a fairly decent amount of older backup QBs. One of them, Chad Henne has retired. Others include Blaine Gabbert, Chase Daniel, Case Keenum, Brian Hoyer, Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, Andy Dalton and Josh Johnson.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

I hope they don’t do this the same way xfl did, they three qbs should be active imo. I like this change though
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:29 am

I hope they don’t do this the same way xfl did, they three qbs should be active imo. I like this change though
Nope 2 active one dressed an inactive... IMO all 10 s/b dressed an inactive for legit injury (said that last yr) - would not be surprised if they expand it to more players...

>> Johnston: We saw how that changed the game in the NFC Championship game, so Mike Pereira is going to create that old NFL third quarterback rule. There was one version that Mike really liked, so we’ll have a third quarterback dressed and inactive. And if we lose our first two quarterbacks, he’ll be able to enter the game."<<

https://www.theusfl.com/the-usfl/2023-u ... ed-to-know
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:36 am
herns wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:29 am

Nope 2 active one dressed an inactive... IMO all 10 s/b dressed an inactive for legit injury (said that last yr) - would not be surprised if they expand it to more players...

>> Johnston: We saw how that changed the game in the NFC Championship game, so Mike Pereira is going to create that old NFL third quarterback rule. There was one version that Mike really liked, so we’ll have a third quarterback dressed and inactive. And if we lose our first two quarterbacks, he’ll be able to enter the game."<<

https://www.theusfl.com/the-usfl/2023-u ... ed-to-know
This year they have an IR so the injured guys won’t take up a teams roster spot but will stay with the team. That was one big thing I thought they did wrong last year