USFL QB's for 2023

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
herns
Head Coach

Re: USFL QB's for 2023

Post by herns »

GDAWG wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:13 pm
4th&long wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:59 am
GDAWG wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:37 pm Confirmed for 2023:

Birmingham Stallions- J'Mar Smith, Alex McGough, Montell Cozart
Houston Gamblers- Clayton Thorson, Kenji Bahar, Terry Wilson
Memphis Showboats- Brady White, Guy Meyers
Michigan Panthers- Paxton Lynch, Josh Love, Eric Barriere
New Jersey Generals- De'Andre Johnson, Kyle Lauletta, Daquan Neal
New Orleans Breakers- Zach Smith, Shea Patterson
Philadelphia Stars- Case Cookus, Kevin Thomson
Pittsburgh Maulers- Vad Lee, Roland Rivers, James Morgan, Troy Williams, Chase Fourcade

Likely gone from USFL: Jordan Ta'amu and Bryan Scott
Free Agents: Carson Strong, Khalil Tate, Anthony Gordon, Aqeel Glass, Kelly Bryant, Josh Rosen, Brett Hundley, Deshone Kizer, Jarrett Guarantano, Davis Cheek, Nate Stanley, Kevin Hogan, Mike Glennon, Kurt Benkert
I think KJ Costello is available as a FA too. And there other college level players avail and expect NFL player cuts come Jan, plus the XFL may drop a few.

USFL lost two playoff QBs in Perez and Sloter, they need to hold on Cookus and J'mar & McGough. They should also get XFL to pay top $ to sign Scott and Ta'amu.
there are also QBs who we thought were locks for the XFL like Carson Strong, Aqeel Glass, Khalil Tate, Davis Cheeks and Jarrett Guarantano who for some reason weren't chosen by the XFL.

While J'Mar Smith hasn't been confirmed for a return, RB Bo Scarborough will return as he was at Stallions Media Day with Skip Holtz:

J’Mar on his twitch said he’ll be back with the stallions
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

herns wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:34 pm

I think KJ Costello is available as a FA too. And there other college level players avail and expect NFL player cuts come Jan, plus the XFL may drop a few.

USFL lost two playoff QBs in Perez and Sloter, they need to hold on Cookus and J'mar & McGough. They should also get XFL to pay top $ to sign Scott and Ta'amu.
there are also QBs who we thought were locks for the XFL like Carson Strong, Aqeel Glass, Khalil Tate, Davis Cheeks and Jarrett Guarantano who for some reason weren't chosen by the XFL.

While J'Mar Smith hasn't been confirmed for a return, RB Bo Scarborough will return as he was at Stallions Media Day with Skip Holtz:

That's one less QB that the USFL has to worry about losing.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

GDAWG wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:41 pm

So far we know 4 are leaving (Perez, Sloter, Scott, and Ta’amu) I think Sloter is the most impactful loss. Perez only played because Johnson went down and Cookus and scott are equals imo. I wanted Ta’amu to leave for the betterment of both leagues I didn’t think he fit with Haley’s scheme at all. The most important qbs to get back we’re cookus and J’Mar imo
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

herns wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:46 pm
GDAWG wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:41 pm

So far we know 4 are leaving (Perez, Sloter, Scott, and Ta’amu) I think Sloter is the most impactful loss. Perez only played because Johnson went down and Cookus and scott are equals imo. I wanted Ta’amu to leave for the betterment of both leagues I didn’t think he fit with Haley’s scheme at all. The most important qbs to get back we’re cookus and J’Mar imo
that's why I created this thread with the list on the front page. There are QB spots need to be filled plus the Maulers have 5 QBs at this moment as we wait and see what happens with Vad Lee and Roland Rivers III. That's why I don't think many QB moves have been made in the USFL outside of DaQuan Neal to New Jersey, James Morgan, Troy Williams and Chase Fourcade to the Maulers and Kevin Thomson to the Stars.

Breakers need a QB, have not made a move yet because they didn't have a head coach. I don't think Lee and Rivers fit what DeFillipo want at QB, so I think he goes outside the league to any of these free agents. Gamblers may need a QB too and the Panthers might as well. The newly minted Showboats need a QB as well, to back up Brady White.

Once we know what happens to Lee and Rivers, I think a domino affect of QB moves will happen in the USFL. Until then, it's been pretty much a standstill.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

That's good to hear
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

I watched the Memphis Showboats Press Conference again, Moose Johnston mentioned the name John Fourcade, who was in attendance at that press conference and his nephew, Chase just signed with the Maulers. Not sure what the rule is about USFL teams trading players they just signed.
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

Case Cookus was just added to the Rams practice squad.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

yeah, the USFL needs to sign QBs now. There's some urgency at this moment.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:44 pm yeah, the USFL needs to sign QBs now. There's some urgency at this moment.
Ouch for USFL

Thumbs up for Cookus.

Agreed, USFL needs to make a good case to get Case back or he'll be in XFL if not NFL. :mrgreen: