Bandits on the move?

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
GDAWG
MVP

Re: Bandits on the move?

Post by GDAWG »

Not expecting a significant and drastic change from the old logo, more of a slight modernization
4th&long
MVP

Concern

Post by 4th&long »

I said this before and I'll say it again, I'm concerned that XFL vs USFL will cost us not one but both leagues as USFL had a long term slow build approach that was working. XFL could pull plug anytime as they decide to cut the money bleeding. But if USFL goes too much into markets w/o a new investor and also decides to pull the plug we all lose.

XFL is funded by RBC, USFL has a Network as owner, the best chance for success is to merge or align together.
herns
Head Coach

Re: Concern

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:55 pm I said this before and I'll say it again, I'm concerned that XFL vs USFL will cost us not one but both leagues as USFL had a long term slow build approach that was working. XFL could pull plug anytime as they decide to cut the money bleeding. But if USFL goes too much into markets w/o a new investor and also decides to pull the plug we all lose.

XFL is funded by RBC, USFL has a Network as owner, the best chance for success is to merge or align together.
Could also make the USFL and xfl stronger as they learn by watching each other with xfl doing away from the original hub plan and USFL looking at the multi hub/maybe even modified hubs who knows. Hopefully fox is seeing enough interest to keep putting money in since they say they weren’t looking for team owners until year 5
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

XFL not the only league struggling for stadiums and investors.

4th&long
MVP

Re: Concern

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:44 pm
4th&long wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:55 pm I said this before and I'll say it again, I'm concerned that XFL vs USFL will cost us not one but both leagues as USFL had a long term slow build approach that was working. XFL could pull plug anytime as they decide to cut the money bleeding. But if USFL goes too much into markets w/o a new investor and also decides to pull the plug we all lose.

Could also make the USFL and xfl stronger as they learn by watching each other with xfl doing away from the original hub plan and USFL looking at the multi hub/maybe even modified hubs who knows. Hopefully fox is seeing enough interest to keep putting money in since they say they weren’t looking for team owners until year 5
I hope so, but I think that's wishful thinking.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:45 pm XFL not the only league struggling for stadiums and investors.

That may be or not, but it's unsubstantiated. There has been no reporting on that. USFL wasnt going to push stadiums until XFL, I really hope XFL doesn't crash both leagues burning thru cash and forcing USFL to as well.
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

4th&long wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:06 pm
laxtreme56 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:45 pm XFL not the only league struggling for stadiums and investors.

That may be or not, but it's unsubstantiated. There has been no reporting on that. USFL wasnt going to push stadiums until XFL, I really hope XFL doesn't crash both leagues burning thru cash and forcing USFL to as well.
The USFL had planned for at least 2 hubs season 2 with hopes for all teams in their respective markets by year 3. This has little to nothing to do with the XFL, they announced this long ago. Covid is over, pro leagues should be playing in their respective cities, no ifs and or butts. If anything, it's more likely pressure from NBC. They said in no uncertain terms they weren't happy with empty stands on their telecasts. Perhaps they've pressured the league into being more progressing playing in market or they could threaten to withhold coverage/funding until their needs are met. This isn't necessarily unique, ABC and USA Network both reworked their contracts to pay less to the WLAF in season 2 after their underwhelming initial season.
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

Per NBC Sports Exec. Jon Miller.
"Miller does note concerns about the sparse in-person attendance: empty stands do impact the TV presentation. And some of that’s about all regular-season games being held in Birmingham this year and the city names on the franchises just being branding. But the one-location setup was done as a cost-saving move, and was only intended for one year. And Miller said they anticipated low attendance this year, and are working with Fox to address that for next year."

The USFL knows they can't do a single hub again in 2023, and now they're searching for the next cheapest solution.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:28 pm

The USFL had planned for at least 2 hubs season 2 with hopes for all teams in their respective markets by year 3. This has little to nothing to do with the XFL, they announced this long ago. Covid is over, pro leagues should be playing in their respective cities, no ifs and or butts. If anything, it's more likely pressure from NBC. They said in no uncertain terms they weren't happy with empty stands on their telecasts. Perhaps they've pressured the league into being more progressing playing in market or they could threaten to withhold coverage/funding until their needs are met. This isn't necessarily unique, ABC and USA Network both reworked their contracts to pay less to the WLAF in season 2 after their underwhelming initial season.
with one hub you had 10 games with an audience, with 2 a minimum of 18 - NBC did not say teams in cities they said that having fans in stands is a better look, among other things like a strong lead in. NBC is not calling the shots.
Adding a partial hub in Philly adds 6-8 games with an audience. that 24-26 games with fans. And playing games in NOLA bused from Birm. That's 30+ games with fans.
That can be accomplished with 1.5 hubs and in-market games in NOLA and Memphis.

NBC got good TV ratings, there is nothing that says they are looking for money back, talk about speculation.
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

4th&long wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:37 pm
laxtreme56 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:28 pm

with one hub you had 10 games with an audience, with 2 a minimum of 18 - NBC did not say teams in cities they said that having fans in stands is a better look, among other things like a strong lead in. NBC is not calling the shots.
Adding a partial hub in Philly adds 6-8 games with an audience. that 24-26 games with fans. And playing games in NOLA bused from Birm. That's 30+ games with fans.
That can be accomplished with 1.5 hubs and in-market games in NOLA and Memphis.

NBC got good TV ratings, there is nothing that says they are looking for money back, talk about speculation.
The network is paying for the right to show games, of course they're calling shots. They can also take their $20 million or however much they paid the USFL and go elsewhere. This is why ESPN has been calling the shots to an extent with the USFL as well. Once money is exchanged, it becomes a partnership. If one party isn't happy that doesn't make a great partnership.