Bandits on the move?

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
4th&long
MVP

Re: Bandits on the move?

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:20 pm
4th&long wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:06 am When was that report over a year ago, never substantiated or reported again right?
You don't think it's true? New Orleans doesn't make a ton of sense to me as a market otherwise, for a lot of the reasons you've been pointing out.
Nothing to substantiate it. The Benefits to NOLA are big FB town, close to Birm and Houston, and no MLB or Hockey. But I would have gone to STL, SA or Orlando.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:40 am It's all about the Benjamin$$. I've said no current USFL market was going to give the league the same sweetheart deal Birmingham has. Memphis has little going on that time of the year, and the Liberty Bowl sits mostly vacant the vast majority of the year. Being that Memphis is only less than a 4 hour drive from Birmingham, the league could just bus 4 teams out the day before the game to save even more $$$. Fox/USFL isn't looking to drop big coin with little to no return, I wonder how long until the Houston Gamblers become the Oklahoma City Wranglers?
Still they need TV ratings. Agree with you however, and its what the AL.com reporter said on the_markcast, other USFL cities (or nonUSFL in this case) will be looking to get in on the USFL after seeing the benefits.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

GDAWG wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:22 pm Oklahoma City is one of those places where there is curiosity as to where they would play in terms of venue, like Bay Area of California or Austin, Texas.
I don't want to sidetrack us, but there is no curiosity about Austin. Q2 is perfect for a USFL/XFL team. There are few cities in the country with a more obvious stadium fit.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Tank55 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:41 pm
GDAWG wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:22 pm Oklahoma City is one of those places where there is curiosity as to where they would play in terms of venue, like Bay Area of California or Austin, Texas.
I don't want to sidetrack us, but there is no curiosity about Austin. Q2 is perfect for a USFL/XFL team. There are few cities in the country with a more obvious stadium fit.
that would be my choice too, but I think someone here said earlier that the locker rooms might be too tight for football or something like that.

But there's no venue that is the right fit for Oklahoma City.
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

4th&long wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:28 pm
laxtreme56 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:40 am It's all about the Benjamin$$. I've said no current USFL market was going to give the league the same sweetheart deal Birmingham has. Memphis has little going on that time of the year, and the Liberty Bowl sits mostly vacant the vast majority of the year. Being that Memphis is only less than a 4 hour drive from Birmingham, the league could just bus 4 teams out the day before the game to save even more $$$. Fox/USFL isn't looking to drop big coin with little to no return, I wonder how long until the Houston Gamblers become the Oklahoma City Wranglers?
Still they need TV ratings. Agree with you however, and its what the AL.com reporter said on the_markcast, other USFL cities (or nonUSFL in this case) will be looking to get in on the USFL after seeing the benefits.
Agree that ratings are important. NBC, however, did say they were not content showing empty stadiums every week and fans in the stands would be a priority going forward. I'm sure Fox has been reaching out to current USFL markets, but may have been denied (can't see Pittsburgh playing ball, their media was downright brutal to the league) or the juice just isn't worth the squeeze in other markets. Memphis is close by, cheap, especially compared to the mostly NFL markets the USFL is operating in, and as mentioned, can just bus teams there and not necessarily need to set up permanent residence in the city. Fact is, we haven't heard any whispers for quite some time about other markets being in play for hub #2, so if the league is to keep its promise of at least 2 hubs, Memphis makes the most sense.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:55 pm
4th&long wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:28 pm
Agree that ratings are important. NBC, however, did say they were not content showing empty stadiums every week and fans in the stands would be a priority going forward. I'm sure Fox has been reaching out to current USFL markets, but may have been denied (can't see Pittsburgh playing ball, their media was downright brutal to the league) or the juice just isn't worth the squeeze in other markets. Memphis is close by, cheap, especially compared to the mostly NFL markets the USFL is operating in, and as mentioned, can just bus teams there and not necessarily need to set up permanent residence in the city. Fact is, we haven't heard any whispers for quite some time about other markets being in play for hub #2, so if the league is to keep its promise of at least 2 hubs, Memphis makes the most sense.
Yes, but NBC wouldn't care IF the rating were still there. And Memphis may not be a Hub or it may replace Birm as a Hub; while at the same time hosting games.

So USFL can host in Birm all players and practices and bus both teams to Memphis for games (XFL-Arlingtonesq). Same with NOLA. They could get 6-7 games each in NOLA and Memphis and 8 at Birmingham and that covers all the Broadcast games. They could stop there OR add a short season Hub in Philly of 6-8 games with Philly/NJ hosting.
Since NY-NJ & Philly markets are so important and large I think for TV ratings this is more important.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:34 pm
You beat me again Herns... With all due respect Mike where else in Michigan would they play? They are looking for TV ratings Detroit IS the MIchigan market.

>> Mike Mitchell
@ByMikeMitchell
Replying to
@cheesesoda

@Newsusfl and @Tony_Catalina
For what it’s worth. I am hearing Detroit as a very strong possibility for the Michigan Panthers. The USFL has been in talks with several locations in Detroit.
3:18 PM · Nov 6, 2022 <<
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:39 pm
You beat me again Herns... With all due respect Mike where else in Michigan would they play? They are looking for TV ratings Detroit IS the MIchigan market.

>> Mike Mitchell
@ByMikeMitchell
Replying to
@cheesesoda

For what it’s worth. I am hearing Detroit as a very strong possibility for the Michigan Panthers. The USFL has been in talks with several locations in Detroit.
I think there’s some smaller college stadiums and way to small soccer fields. My guess is maybe just trying to get something to use in negotiations with ford
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:40 pm
4th&long wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:39 pm

>> Mike Mitchell
@ByMikeMitchell
Replying to
@cheesesoda

I think there’s some smaller college stadiums and way to small soccer fields. My guess is maybe just trying to get something to use in negotiations with ford
Absolutely agreed.