Bandits on the move?

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
laxtreme56
Coach

Bandits on the move?

Post by laxtreme56 »

Wonder if this was the big news we've been hearing about? Guess Memphis could work as a second hub, there's not much going on at the Liberty Bowl anymore. Kinda lame to move a team that never played a home game, but oh well...

Tank55
MVP

Re: Bandits on the move?

Post by Tank55 »

At least that indicates they'll be playing somewhere other than Birmingham. That's nice. Can always bring the Bandits back if Tampa ever makes sense as a home market.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

I saw this too. Not a big news source, no confirmation.
So this May be true, maybe not.

It would have to be because of another sweet heart deal like 2022-Birm or an Arlington-XFL based travel site using buses from Birmingham 4hours drive. NOLA is 5 hours from Birm. SO they can avoid flights and and still be based in Birm and have games in NOLA/Memphis.

Memphis is not a $$ city, isn't growing and is a tiny TV market. I would not be in favor of this change. NOLA to Memphis makes more sense.

TB is 1.68% USA TV households. Memphis is .51%
MSA size (3.2mm TB, 1.3mm Mem) and TB is growing fast.
Last edited by 4th&long on Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

Tampa was the weakest market imo and the weakest brand so I’m not upset, feel bad for bandits fans though but this move is a lot better for the league as a whole imo. Wonder if the maulers are going to stay or not, they were the only other city that was questionable for stadium options I believe
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:54 am I saw this too. Not a big news source, no confirmation.

It would have to be because of another sweet heart deal like 2022-Birm or an Arlington-XFL based travel site using buses from Birmingham 4hours drive. NOLA is 5 hours from Birm. SO they can avoid flights and and still be based in Birm and have games in NOLA/Memphis.

Memphis is not a $$ city, isn't growing and is a tiny TV market. I would not be in favor of this change. NOLA to Memphis makes more sense.
I thought there was reports the NOLA market was one of the leagues top supporters in terms of tv ratings, I doubt they move NOLA. Makes way more sense to move Tampa just due to the stadium issues when you’re in market, you don’t want what’s happening in Vegas for the xfl rn to happen for the USFL so admit a mistake and move the market before the issue and get in a city you think will support it and has a stadium that makes more sense
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:56 am
4th&long wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:54 am I saw this too. Not a big news source, no confirmation.

I thought there was reports the NOLA market was one of the leagues top supporters in terms of tv ratings, I doubt they move NOLA. Makes way more sense to move Tampa just due to the stadium issues when you’re in market, you don’t want what’s happening in Vegas for the xfl rn to happen for the USFL so admit a mistake and move the market before the issue and get in a city you think will support it and has a stadium that makes more sense
There is a high % of NOLA but of a SMALL TV market. TB is way stronger in real numbers

MSA size (3.2mm TB, 1.3mm Mem) and TB is growing fast. NOLA is .55%
Last edited by 4th&long on Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

“Moving” the team you think you’re least likely to ever play in market is the right call. New Orleans supposedly has an interested owner. That’s way more important than nearly every other consideration to the USFL.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:04 am “Moving” the team you think you’re least likely to ever play in market is the right call. New Orleans supposedly has an interested owner. That’s way more important than nearly every other consideration to the USFL.
When was that report over a year ago, never substantiated or reported again right?
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:06 am
Tank55 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:04 am “Moving” the team you think you’re least likely to ever play in market is the right call. New Orleans supposedly has an interested owner. That’s way more important than nearly every other consideration to the USFL.
When was that report over a year ago, never substantiated or reported again right?
I think Mitchell had reported it awhile ago
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:00 am
herns wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:56 am

There is a high % of NOLA but of a SMALL TV market. TB is way stronger in real numbers

MSA size (3.2mm TB, 1.3mm Mem) and TB is growing fast. NOLA is .55%
Not if you don’t think the market will buy in quickly or have a good stadium option. Memphis>TB imo and it is t close. Now can we just get Pitt to move to somewhere in Ohio