USFL looking at players pay and accommodations according to panthers OC Eric Marty

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
herns
Head Coach

USFL looking at players pay and accommodations according to panthers OC Eric Marty

Post by herns »

This is where having 2 leagues at the same time is a good thing, players are likely gonna benefit from the competition
4th&long
MVP

Re: USFL looking at players pay and accommodations according to panthers OC Eric Marty

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:45 pm

This is where having 2 leagues at the same time is a good thing, players are likely gonna benefit from the competition
But only if the leagues survive. I think all FB fans want to see a league survive first. The USFL or XFL 2020 paid good enough for them to jump at the chance to play. Raising costs w/o revenue is not a long term success strategy.
Wanna see these players pay go up? When the league(s) starts pulling in enough money, your'll see it.

>> ShadySportsNetwork
@SamShadySports
Words to take note of from my interview with @CoachEricMarty
"The powers in charge at the USFL will be evaluating the pay, and accommodations for players" in other words @USFL will look to sweeten the deal for players that choose to return to the league for year 2.
10:40 PM · Aug 8, 2022 <<

Nothing surprising here, the gap is small and not a major cost, though they'd rather not have to pay it. Leaking this out through coaches is smart as XFL looks to sign players.
herns
Head Coach

Re: USFL looking at players pay and accommodations according to panthers OC Eric Marty

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:15 pm
herns wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:45 pm

But only if the leagues survive. I think all FB fans want to see a league survive first. The USFL or XFL 2020 paid good enough for them to jump at the chance to play. Raising costs w/o revenue is not a long term success strategy.
Wanna see these players pay go up? When the league(s) starts pulling in enough money, your'll see it.

>> ShadySportsNetwork
@SamShadySports
"The powers in charge at the USFL will be evaluating the pay, and accommodations for players" in other words @USFL will look to sweeten the deal for players that choose to return to the league for year 2.

Nothing surprising here, the gap is small and not a major cost, though they'd rather not have to pay it. Leaking this out through coaches is smart as XFL looks to sign players.
I agree, the big thing I wanted USFL to change is to pay for housing. Matching xfl pay, at least for prototypes/guys from nfl camps is great just for the talent pool to take away the advantage xfl had over them. The league does need to come out an officially say the new salaries soon though imo
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

I would certainly think this was an expected move now that XFL salaries came out. The USFL has to do this to keep up, much like I feel they need to do with buzz for season 2. I listened to a podcast a few months ago that suggested many players that signed original USFL contracts had not agreed to the year 2 option. MM recently stated that player agents weren’t against the USFL but many were leaning towards the XFL. Certainly a counter move the USFL needs to make.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

Gopher123 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:23 am I would certainly think this was an expected move now that XFL salaries came out. The USFL has to do this to keep up, much like I feel they need to do with buzz for season 2. I listened to a podcast a few months ago that suggested many players that signed original USFL contracts had not agreed to the year 2 option. MM recently stated that player agents weren’t against the USFL but many were leaning towards the XFL. Certainly a counter move the USFL needs to make.
The year 2 option is a league option not a player option. The guys they may lose are some that went to the nfl but got cut and had signed the old USFL contract and not the updated one. Where pay will play a big factor is getting those guys back and getting more nfl camp guys to fill out the rest of the 75 man rosters
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

herns wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:20 am
Gopher123 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:23 am I would certainly think this was an expected move now that XFL salaries came out. The USFL has to do this to keep up, much like I feel they need to do with buzz for season 2. I listened to a podcast a few months ago that suggested many players that signed original USFL contracts had not agreed to the year 2 option. MM recently stated that player agents weren’t against the USFL but many were leaning towards the XFL. Certainly a counter move the USFL needs to make.
The year 2 option is a league option not a player option. The guys they may lose are some that went to the nfl but got cut and had signed the old USFL contract and not the updated one. Where pay will play a big factor is getting those guys back and getting more nfl camp guys to fill out the rest of the 75 man rosters
The original USFL player contracts expire 12/31/22 do they not? If they do they are free agents starting 1/1/23 unless certain players accepted the league’s season 2 option. At least that’s the way I understood it.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

Gopher123 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:14 am
The original USFL player contracts expire 12/31/22 do they not? If they do they are free agents starting 1/1/23 unless certain players accepted the league’s season 2 option. At least that’s the way I understood it.
It expires that day if the league doesn’t pick them up for year 2, it’s a league option not the player option so it’s up to the league not the player. That’s why Rod Woodson was saying he likes how xfl is doing contracts because they’re 1 year and the player can leave for whatever league they want where USFL is doing 2 year deals and not allowing guys to go to the xfl or cfl
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

herns wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:28 am
Gopher123 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:14 am

It expires that day if the league doesn’t pick them up for year 2, it’s a league option not the player option so it’s up to the league not the player. That’s why Rod Woodson was saying he likes how xfl is doing contracts because they’re 1 year and the player can leave for whatever league they want where USFL is doing 2 year deals and not allowing guys to go to the xfl or cfl
You’re right herns. I thought the year 2 was optional for the player to take or leave. If they took there were benefits if the league selected them. It was a must sign even for the original USFL contracts. I missed that. Thanks for straightening me out there.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

>> ShadySportsNetwork
@SamShadySports

So what this tells me, is that they're not particularly confident about their reserve clause holding up if the XFL challenges it. Either that, or they want to make sure the players who jumped into the USFL don't end up disgruntled by not being able to take a better offer.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:33 pm

>> ShadySportsNetwork
@SamShadySports

So what this tells me, is that they're not particularly confident about their reserve clause holding up if the XFL challenges it. Either that, or they want to make sure the players who jumped into the USFL don't end up disgruntled by not being able to take a better offer.
Or they will need to bring in new players and will pay them slightly more, and want to make sure the 2022 class is OK sigining 2 yr contracts.