USFL looking at players pay and accommodations according to panthers OC Eric Marty

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
herns
Head Coach

Re: USFL looking at players pay and accommodations according to panthers OC Eric Marty

Post by herns »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:33 pm
4th&long wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:15 pm
But only if the leagues survive. I think all FB fans want to see a league survive first. The USFL or XFL 2020 paid good enough for them to jump at the chance to play. Raising costs w/o revenue is not a long term success strategy.
Wanna see these players pay go up? When the league(s) starts pulling in enough money, your'll see it.

>> ShadySportsNetwork
@SamShadySports
Words to take note of from my interview with @CoachEricMarty
"The powers in charge at the USFL will be evaluating the pay, and accommodations for players" in other words @USFL will look to sweeten the deal for players that choose to return to the league for year 2.
10:40 PM · Aug 8, 2022 <<

Nothing surprising here, the gap is small and not a major cost, though they'd rather not have to pay it. Leaking this out through coaches is smart as XFL looks to sign players.
So what this tells me, is that they're not particularly confident about their reserve clause holding up if the XFL challenges it. Either that, or they want to make sure the players who jumped into the USFL don't end up disgruntled by not being able to take a better offer.
I think it’s more about bringing in high level new guys and retaining your stars that had the old USFL contract and got signed to nfl teams