51 USFL Player Signings in NFL, w/Running list in OP

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
4th&long
MVP

Bears sign LB D Gates (Stallions) #36!

Post by 4th&long »

4th&long
MVP

USFL to Saints Q Meeks 37 (Bandits)

Post by 4th&long »

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/2022/08 ... ce=twitter

>> NewOrleans.Football’s Nick Underhill first reported that the team signed free agent cornerback Quenton Meeks ahead of Saturday’s training camp practice, where Meeks participated while wearing No. 43. A corresponding roster move for his arrival wasn’t immediately clear.

Meeks, 26, played for the USFL’s Tampa Bay Bandits earlier this year after spending last summer with the Tennessee Titans, though his last NFL snaps came in 2020, largely on special teams. <<
4th&long
MVP

USFL to KC - WR D Gray (Stars) #38

Post by 4th&long »

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2022/8/6 ... devin-gray

>>

The #Chiefs are signing WR Devin Gray to a 1-year deal after a solid workout, per his agent @alexguminski. Gray is most recently from the USFL and has spent time with the #Falcons and #Ravens.
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) August 6, 2022 <<
4th&long
MVP

#39! RB Colburn to Jags

Post by 4th&long »

>> Tweet
See new Tweets
Conversation
USFL
@USFL
·
15m
Former @USFLStars
RB Matt Colburn is signing with the #Jaguars.
4th&long
MVP

USFL v XFL player sigings

Post by 4th&long »

>> PHILLY STARS Fan - 2022 Northern Champs
@UnitedTakesFL
On August 7, 2020 there were 32 XFL players who had signed with NFL teams.

On August 8, 2022 there were 38 USFL players who had signed with NFL teams.
11:09 AM · Aug 7, 2022 <<

Interesting if true.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: 39 USFL Player Signings in NFL, w/Running list in OP

Post by GregParks »

I think the USFL has done well to get as many players into camp as they have, with likely more to come as players get injured throughout the preseason, rosters are naturally cycled, etc. Having 10 games of film on a player as opposed to five also likely helped NFL teams make decisions on whether or not to sign someone.

However, it's a bit of an apples-to-oranges comparison to the XFL in 2020 given the COVID restrictions that really didn't allow for teams to work out players as they are able to now. Plus, I believe camp rosters were limited to 80 players in 2020 instead of the 90 in camp this year.
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:27 pm I think the USFL has done well to get as many players into camp as they have, with likely more to come as players get injured throughout the preseason, rosters are naturally cycled, etc. Having 10 games of film on a player as opposed to five also likely helped NFL teams make decisions on whether or not to sign someone.

However, it's a bit of an apples-to-oranges comparison to the XFL in 2020 given the COVID restrictions that really didn't allow for teams to work out players as they are able to now. Plus, I believe camp rosters were limited to 80 players in 2020 instead of the 90 in camp this year.
I think they considered it but stayed at 90.
https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-training-c ... ed-to-know

I think its a pretty fair comparison and they are comparable - which I think the leagues were ultimately.

Agreed the 10 games of film helps but 5 aint bad and they had more time to review it.

My take away is the leagues both had quite a few players to NFL camp and that just proves how good they were.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

4th&long wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:12 pm
GregParks wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:27 pm I think the USFL has done well to get as many players into camp as they have, with likely more to come as players get injured throughout the preseason, rosters are naturally cycled, etc. Having 10 games of film on a player as opposed to five also likely helped NFL teams make decisions on whether or not to sign someone.

Interesting. That's the only story I found that says training camp rosters would stay at 90. All others said there was an agreement between the NFL and NFLPA to trim it down to 80. Here's one:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 483773002/

The fine print on your source, of course, said there's only 80 allowed in the building at a time so a team with a full squad of 90 would have to plan split squad workouts. I would guess very few, if any then, actually carried the full 90.

Also keep in mind the preseason games were cancelled, so there was no need to carry a full 90 in camp to help get through those games.
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:21 pm
4th&long wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:12 pm

Interesting. That's the only story I found that says training camp rosters would stay at 90. All others said there was an agreement between the NFL and NFLPA to trim it down to 80. Here's one:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 483773002/

The fine print on your source, of course, said there's only 80 allowed in the building at a time so a team with a full squad of 90 would have to plan split squad workouts. I would guess very few, if any then, actually carried the full 90.

Also keep in mind the preseason games were cancelled, so there was no need to carry a full 90 in camp to help get through those games.
Well - I think the NFL.com news trumps USA Today. But yeah agreed. The gist of it is - both leagues did well with players getting to NFL, staying ? We'll see.
And many of these players were in TSL! Perez, Suell, Canella, to name a fewso even that's good. I do think Cardale Jones would have benefited from TSL.
4th&long
MVP

#40 Saints nab DL T J Carter (USFL Panthers)

Post by 4th&long »

With an active roster of 320 (40 per team) and 50 total (active and inactives)

The USFL has now signed 12.5% of its league active roster size or 10% of total roster size.

NICE!