First USFL Player signed by NFL team

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
GDAWG
MVP

First USFL Player signed by NFL team

Post by GDAWG »

MGB01
MVP

Re: First USFL Player signed by NFL team

Post by MGB01 »

I don't think anyone had that one. Sam was a pretty good run defender at ASU (probably should have stayed for his sr year), and was able to use the USFL to get back in the flow and re-establish himself but I doubt anyone would have seen him getting it over Gates, Odom, Payne, or Wright.

So I'm guessing the Breakers retain his rights?
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

MGB01 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:03 pm I don't think anyone had that one. Sam was a pretty good run defender at ASU (probably should have stayed for his sr year), and was able to use the USFL to get back in the flow and re-establish himself but I doubt anyone would have seen him getting it over Gates, Odom, Payne, or Wright.

Unless somehow he didn’t sign a new or revised contract (which would be hard to imagine) when he was picked up by the Breakers, then I would think as well that they retain his rights if he doesn’t stick in the NFL.
SamTheRam28
Quarterback

Post by SamTheRam28 »

Gopher123 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:26 pm
MGB01 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:03 pm I don't think anyone had that one. Sam was a pretty good run defender at ASU (probably should have stayed for his sr year), and was able to use the USFL to get back in the flow and re-establish himself but I doubt anyone would have seen him getting it over Gates, Odom, Payne, or Wright.

Unless somehow he didn’t sign a new or revised contract (which would be hard to imagine) when he was picked up by the Breakers, then I would think as well that they retain his rights if he doesn’t stick in the NFL.
I doubt it matters. I imagine the Breakers would retain his USFL rights either way, he just wouldn't be obligated to re-sign with the USFL.
St. Louis BattleHawks
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

SamTheRam28 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:46 pm
Gopher123 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:26 pm

I doubt it matters. I imagine the Breakers would retain his USFL rights either way, he just wouldn't be obligated to re-sign with the USFL.
I think that obligation to have to return to the USFL was the question. At least that’s how I took it. When I said I thought the Breakers would retain his rights, I was talking generally about him being obligated to return to the USFL.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

BC I think has John Metchie's rights on the Christmas-esque chance he decided to go back and play in the CFL, similar here I would guess.

Since it was a waiver instead of an actual release when NO picked Sam up I would assume he didn't sign a new deal and the original two-year holds.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

He actually has a decent chance to make the Cowboys roster. Beyond the absolute stud in Micah Parsons and a solid player in Leighton Vander Esch, there's not much behind them and they have no starting Middle Linebacker. They took two of them in the draft in Damone Clark and Devin Harper, so one of them is likely the starting Middle Linebacker. Behind Parsons and Vander Esch is nobody. There's a guy with potential in Jabril Cox, but he might start the season on injured reserve. The others are special teamers or guys that they just signed to futures contracts. Plus they just put Devante Bond on the injured list.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Retweet by Markcast has Turpin and Alexander trying out for Cowboys.

>> .@USFL
MVP @KaVontaeTurpin trying out for #Cowboys alongside Maurice Alexander (@_hardtime3) per @fishsports.

h/t: @harrisonernstm1 <<
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Why is he using a dated picture?

Unless he's saying HEY WE GOT TWO SPOTS OPEN!!!!!!!!!
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

MGB01 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:47 pm Why is he using a dated picture?

Unless he's saying HEY WE GOT TWO SPOTS OPEN!!!!!!!!!
They have a spot open because Michael Gallup is questionable to return when the season starts.