NYPost: USFL already focusing on second season

The USFL has hit the field. Discuss it here!
4th&long
MVP

NYPost: USFL already focusing on second season

Post by 4th&long »

>> USFL already focusing on second season ahead of title game <<

https://nypost.com/2022/07/01/usfl-alre ... itle-game/

>> Fox Sports president Eric Shanks announced earlier this week that the USFL will return next season. Ratings have been steady, with games averaging 1.034 million viewers on Fox and NBC. The overall average is lower (715,000) when games on USA Network and FS1 are included.

While those ratings are slightly above the 2019 Alliance of American Football, which ceased operations after eight weeks, they are behind the 2020 XFL viewership average of 1.9 million. The XFL ceased operations midway through its season, mostly due to the coronavirus pandemic.

“I think we’ve said pretty consistently that the number one goal for this season was to establish that we could do viewership at the same level as other sports that have been part of the spring calendar for a long time (Formula 1, Major League Soccer, English Premier League). I think we’ve more than held our own,” Fox Sports executive vice president Michael Mulvihill said.

The plans for next year include the same eight teams, but they will play games in at least two cities or as many as four.

“This league was put together by people that understand what an alternative football league is about,” Philadelphia coach Bart Andrus said. “People may have experienced the other part of it, losing the league or not having one make it. But they understand what it takes. I think that’s been the difference.”<<
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Re: NYPost: USFL already focusing on second season

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

4th&long wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:28 am While those ratings are slightly above the 2019 Alliance of American Football, which ceased operations after eight weeks, they are behind the 2020 XFL viewership average of 1.9 million. The XFL ceased operations midway through its season, mostly due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Slightly above?

Remember, the Alliance only had one game on broadcast television, and that had nearly 3 million viewers on one network. Network-to-network, I'd argue that the AAF had better ratings. Alliance games on TNT ranged from 500k to a million, far above the 300k or so USA is getting for the USFL (both channels being roughly equally distributed as basic cable staples for decades). NFL Network got around 300k a game on a more out-of-the-way channel; FS1 is getting right about the same number, though it's fluctuating.

USFL had "slightly above" in raw numbers solely because of Fox and NBC putting it on their broadcast channels.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:29 am
4th&long wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:28 am While those ratings are slightly above the 2019 Alliance of American Football, which ceased operations after eight weeks, they are behind the 2020 XFL viewership average of 1.9 million. The XFL ceased operations midway through its season, mostly due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Slightly above?

Remember, the Alliance only had one game on broadcast television, and that had nearly 3 million viewers on one network. Network-to-network, I'd argue that the AAF had better ratings. Alliance games on TNT ranged from 500k to a million, far above the 300k or so USA is getting for the USFL (both channels being roughly equally distributed as basic cable staples for decades). NFL Network got around 300k a game on a more out-of-the-way channel; FS1 is getting right about the same number, though it's fluctuating.

USFL had "slightly above" in raw numbers solely because of Fox and NBC putting it on their broadcast channels.
AAF games ran from 2/9/2019 to 3/31/2019. A Winter season, tapping into home bound audience.

TNT did not range from 500k-1mm, only 1 did. It is maybe the biggest cable channel and there were only 4 games, numbers were:
1018k, 467k, 340k, 469k all on weekends. Avg 4 games 571k.
So far USFL is averaging 727k in late spring summer.

NFL network averaged around 364k, in primetime with a set consistent schedule.

Including the opener, which was actually a regionally televised game (2 games) AAF averaged 550k.

I do think AAF would have benefited from a TNT consistent schedule, and more games pre-NCAA tourney.

All 3 leagues have shown alt-FB in offseason can get ratings to some degree. All beatings MLS avg and NHL reg season avg.

But time of year impacts ratings, as does market size, promotion, sports competition, scheduling etc...
USFL has clear areas that they can improve and move the needle.
SamTheRam28
Quarterback

Post by SamTheRam28 »

4th&long wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:24 am
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:29 am
Slightly above?

AAF games ran from 2/9/2019 to 3/31/2019. A Winter season, tapping into home bound audience.

TNT did not range from 500k-1mm, only 1 did. It is maybe the biggest cable channel and there were only 4 games, numbers were:

Including the opener, which was actually a regionally televised game (2 games) AAF averaged 550k.

I do think AAF would have benefited from a TNT consistent schedule, and more games pre-NCAA tourney.

All 3 leagues have shown alt-FB in offseason can get ratings to some degree. All beatings MLS avg and NHL reg season avg.

But time of year impacts ratings, as does market size, promotion, sports competition, scheduling etc...
You also can't forget that the AAF usually only had a couple widely available games a week. They had a lot of games on CBS Sports Network and none of those cracked the top 150 in cable. They had games on B/R Live that nobody watched. It's easier to get people to watch 1 or 2 games a week on NFL Network and TNT than it is to get them to watch 4. And the AAF was still quite a bit behind the USFL despite playing in the winter.
St. Louis BattleHawks
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

SamTheRam28 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:47 pm
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:29 am Slightly above?

You also can't forget that the AAF usually only had a couple widely available games a week. They had a lot of games on CBS Sports Network and none of those cracked the top 150 in cable. They had games on B/R Live that nobody watched. It's easier to get people to watch 1 or 2 games a week on NFL Network and TNT than it is to get them to watch 4. And the AAF was still quite a bit behind the USFL despite playing in the winter.
I don't believe CBS Network or BR Live are Nielsen ranked so we'd never know who watched regardless.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

SamTheRam28 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:47 pm
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:29 am Slightly above?

Excellent points Sam - agreed.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:28 am >> USFL already focusing on second season ahead of title game <<

>> Fox Sports president Eric Shanks announced earlier this week that the USFL will return next season. Ratings have been steady, with games averaging 1.034 million viewers on Fox and NBC. The overall average is lower (715,000) when games on USA Network and FS1 are included.

While those ratings are slightly above the 2019 Alliance of American Football, which ceased operations after eight weeks, they are behind the 2020 XFL viewership average of 1.9 million. The XFL ceased operations midway through its season, mostly due to the coronavirus pandemic.

“I think we’ve said pretty consistently that the number one goal for this season was to establish that we could do viewership at the same level as other sports that have been part of the spring calendar for a long time (Formula 1, Major League Soccer, English Premier League). I think we’ve more than held our own,” Fox Sports executive vice president Michael Mulvihill said.

The plans for next year include the same eight teams, but they will play games in at least two cities or as many as four.

“This league was put together by people that understand what an alternative football league is about,” Philadelphia coach Bart Andrus said. “People may have experienced the other part of it, losing the league or not having one make it. But they understand what it takes. I think that’s been the difference.”<<
The fact that every time moose speaks about next year he says the plan is to do a north hub but shanks is saying 2-4 makes me think it’s either moose tempering expectations, they’re doing 2 hubs and it’s already decided, doing more than 2 hubs is a late shift from fox execs after hearing the issues people had with the hub and the issues nbc had with no attendance as well. I’m hoping it’s just a late shift and they get to 4 hubs
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:13 pm
4th&long wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:28 am >> USFL already focusing on second season ahead of title game <<

The fact that every time moose speaks about next year he says the plan is to do a north hub but shanks is saying 2-4 makes me think it’s either moose tempering expectations, they’re doing 2 hubs and it’s already decided, doing more than 2 hubs is a late shift from fox execs after hearing the issues people had with the hub and the issues nbc had with no attendance as well. I’m hoping it’s just a late shift and they get to 4 hubs
Keep in mind they are looking to raise funds. 2 hubs is minimum, if they get the funding they'd like expect more.

NBC, in the end is looking for fan interest in big markets - sayings fans in stands may be avaled way of saying we want more than 1 hub in 2022.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:07 pm

Keep in mind they are looking to raise funds. 2 hubs is minimum, if they get the funding they'd like expect more.

NBC, in the end is looking for fan interest in big markets - sayings fans in stands may be avaled way of saying we want more than 1 hub in 2022.
Ya, they’re looking for team owners. I could see a scenario where you’re right and that’s what’s needed to get to 4 hubs though
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:30 pm
4th&long wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:07 pm

Ya, they’re looking for team owners. I could see a scenario where you’re right and that’s what’s needed to get to 4 hubs though
not necessarily team owners - as fox is looking at investors in the league
As per NY Post report
its funding they want